Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour of the Valley 20 September 1985

Sorting through Tom Morris' photos and found a series of photo dated 20/9/1985 which as you will remember was the day before the "last game at the Valley"

They are as fascinating as they are depressing.

The numbering on the images suggests that what we have are just some of the images Tom took so there maybe more in the 10s of 1000s of negatives that he had not yet scanned.

Here we go in the order they appear in Tom's file and with his titles

"Medical Room"

Eat your heart out Zynex

Comments

• Options
    oh these will be good - keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    Excellent - looking forward to these...Thanks.
  • Options
    3. "First Team Changing"

• Options
    4. "First Team Bath"

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    2. "Manager's Room"

Love the Vosene on the side, proper shampoo for proper men, avoid contact with eyes! 
    Yeah but its next to the cuppa. Vosene tea anyone ? Scruffy bstrd. Ignored the coat hanger and just stuck clothes on the hook. Who'd live in a room like that??  And a brolly for the bath. Anyone want to give a rationale for that???
  • Options
    The Manager's Room is wonderful.  Who among us would not want a quick bath before barking out tactical instructions?

And is that a copy of the 'Daily Mirror' for that brisk post-bath rubdown?

Luxury.
  • Options
    It was run down when I was there in the mid 70’s - it doesn’t look much different in those photos. The match officials changing room was tiny. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember doing a tour of the Valley on a pre-season open day when Bob Stokoe was manager in the 60s - the rooms look very similar to how I remember them. Seems to have been precious little investment in the ground in that intervening 20 years.
  • Options
    Remember using the home team dressing room for a cup final in ‘81 and using the big bath. 
  • Options
    Could someone please answer a question, was there ever a snooker table/room in the  late sixties. I was told it was in the old main stand. 
  • Options
    The snooker table was in the directors' room if I remember correctly and was notorious for having a sloping bias to one of the corner pockets.
  • Options
    Thank you  BobK, you may have answered a long standing piece of family folklore, JonK.
  • Options
    I don't know if the match officials room had moved by the mid 70's but early 70's it was situated at the end of the passage at the front, under the main stand, where the spare goal posts (collapsed) were stored. On match day 1/2 a bottle of Scotch was left in there by the Club for the officials. 
  • Options
    Lol bottle of scotch sounds perfect, mum went into labour (with me) at a game in October 68, we think they played Oxford around then, sadly mum isn't herself these days and my dad is long gone, she used to moan about keep getting told to sit down,  apologies for the waffle. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Optimistic thinking the players will get out the bath for a slash…
    Or a number 2.
  • Options
    Surprised to see a bath in the managers room. Was that usual? I guess it says something about the role of the manager; more on field than off.
  • Options
    BobK said:
    I don't know if the match officials room had moved by the mid 70's but early 70's it was situated at the end of the passage at the front, under the main stand, where the spare goal posts (collapsed) were stored. On match day 1/2 a bottle of Scotch was left in there by the Club for the officials. 
    Sounds right - coming off the pitch it was the passage on the right. The cat was safe in there  as there was no room to swing it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5. "Boot room"

• Options
    6. "Training Kit Room"

• Options
    Look at all those classic shirts on the right 👀
  • Options
    I want the yellow adidas jacket on the left 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I want the yellow adidas jacket on the left 
    Ha yeah, I had just zoomed in to have a better look at that. 
  • Options
    Looks like we employed quite a few sweepers back then :D
  • Options
    Remember doing a tour around then and being impressed by the boardroom or director's lounge, though they were different times.
  • Options
    Remember doing a tour around then and being impressed by the boardroom or director's lounge, though they were different times.
    I remember the 1982 open day, and the only impressive bit was the boardroom - the rest of the main stand was a dump - I’m pretty sure the executive boxes at the top of the main stand came after that, but happy to be corrected (in which case I have the wrong year)