Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slide began well before Dowie..

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Given that we were on a downward slide from about January last year, and that a major rebuilding job was required on the squad, I think we realistically have to accept that Premiership status is far from guaranteed. My major criticism would be the lack of spending on young up and coming 'cream of the Cocacola league'.

Comments

• Options
    I agree entirely!!!
  • Options
    i know it sounds really stupid, but i am struggling to see what Dowie has really done wrong ?

The only negatives i can possibly see so far is with all the players he brought in, we needed another striker, though this would not of been an issue if JFH had lived up to expectations.
    And the formation was wrong from the start against Portsmouth, which was changed at half time.

He's had his hands tied picking the team with the injuries, Hughes seems to have been favoured more than some would like, but you don't know if that was dictated by what is available.

In general, i agree with most of his after-match analysis, i think he speaks well and hasn't been trying to kid us with the situation, i like the new style structure of the coaching aspects, and think that's the way forward, i like the fact he's given players more responsibility, and that the youth seems to be playing more of a part.

Someone else said about getting through this bit, and we'll be ok. More than anything, we just need a bit of luck !

Am i being too fair ?
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know firstly how many of Dowie's signings Curbs would have made had he stayed and secondly would the board have given him the money Dowie has had?

Hypothetical I know but there we are.

Regarding the thread title the one criticism that perhaps could be labelled at Curbs is that too many of his signings were late 20s meaning that they have all got old together.

Conversely though it could be seen as a strength because those players came in and had the experience to give Curbs the short term fix he needed at the time.

I will bite any hand off that offers me 17th this season and hope that once Dowie's signings are fully fit things will improve.
  • Options
    I do agree with you on this - the squad that Dowie inherited was poor - a few good players but a lot of dross and drfitwood too.

I wonder if the influx of mainly foreign players will be up for the challenge if it does become a war of attrition at the bottom of the league all season. There has been a lot of comment over recent years about the lack of bringing through youth players and Dowie stated that he would be bringing in not just senior players but some for the future too but other than Walton it doesn't seem to have materialised as yet.

We do have the likes of Brandao, Youga and Gislason still and they looked like having promise last season but now that the reserves play at Gravesend I don't get to see them so have no idea whether they are improving or not!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Although we have spent a fair bit I think we are lacking in the playing side, match winner(s), physical presence, leadership, these are still the issues that need solving. I would never have expected 90 mins from hasslebaink every week either..
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    physical presence is a non-argument. Faye, Traore and Diawara are huge, and Andy Reid is massive :-)

Leadership generally comes with time. I think Faye has been doing the leadership role in a subtle way.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I was thinking more in the air as well as tackling..

Young should never have been captain in my view, mind you I'm not sure who I would have instead.
  • Options
    We were a team of Loan Rangers under Curbs , too many loanees too many short term fixes. Got a few more permannenets in the side now, just waiting for them to become settled in the side & be comfortable in the system we are playing, I am still hopeful.
  • Options
    I agree AFKA - would be the basis of a good blog article.
    I think we will look a much better side once Faye, Traore, Diawara, Reid and (hopefully) Pouso are established in the side. We also have Sorondo and Gibbs to come back.
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]i know it sounds really stupid, but i am struggling to see what Dowie has really done wrong ?

The only negatives i can possibly see so far is with all the players he brought in, we needed another striker, though this would not of been an issue if JFH had lived up to expectations.
    And the formation was wrong from the start against Portsmouth, which was changed at half time.

He's had his hands tied picking the team with the injuries, Hughes seems to have been favoured more than some would like, but you don't know if that was dictated by what is available.

In general, i agree with most of his after-match analysis, i think he speaks well and hasn't been trying to kid us with the situation, i like the new style structure of the coaching aspects, and think that's the way forward, i like the fact he's given players more responsibility, and that the youth seems to be playing more of a part.

Someone else said about getting through this bit, and we'll be ok. More than anything, we just need a bit of luck !

Am i being too fair ?

I think that's fair comment.