Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Complimentary match tickets

I was thinking about those travelling up to Morecambe for tomorrow night’s match and wondered whether the players give out complimentary tickets anymore? I’m sure the answer is “not on your Nellie”. But when we went to away matches in the 70’s especially night matches we use to wait for the team coach to arrive and ask for complimentary tickets. It wasn’t always successful but I recall Preston away that sticks in my mind. Did anyone else use to cadge a freebie ticket from the players on the team’s arrival?

Comments

• I think you’ll find Chris Parkes issues those now.
  • edited November 2021
    Plenty of freebies were available at midweek away games oooop north.
  • And so you just give Chris a call and ask for a freebie?
  • Addickted said:
    All down to CP now.

Plenty of freebies were available at midweek away games oooop north.
    Have you got his number mate, I'm in need of a ticket.
  • Solidgone said:
    And so you just give Chris a call and ask for a freebie?
    Do you have to pay in vol-au-vents?
  • It actually used to annoy me when this happened, as back then the away club used to get a share of the gate money. Why travel to Plymouth for example to support the club and then not support the club.

Never wanted or asked for one as i liked to be independent when it came to players performance during and after a match.
  • edited November 2021
    I've only ever got a complimentary ticket once (along with a load of other people) at Cambridge away when we went in fancy dress.
    Don't ask me when it was cause I'm old and don't remember anything.  :(
  • Went to a pre season friendly at Bournemouth about 13 or so years back I guess. Obviously had a few beers pre match and turned up a bit late. Went to pay on the gate only to be told we had to walk all the way back around the ground to buy a ticket then come back again. Steve Gritt and some of the yoof team were milling around outside and Steve spotted us and kindly gave us a couple of tickets from his pocket. Top bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've only ever got a complimentary ticket once (along with a load of other people) at Cambridge away when we went in fancy dress.
    '82?
  • I've only ever got a complimentary ticket once (along with a load of other people) at Cambridge away when we went in fancy dress.
    '82?
    Maybe.
    If I try to remember I think it was the last game of the season.
  • It actually used to annoy me when this happened, as back then the away club used to get a share of the gate money. Why travel to Plymouth for example to support the club and then not support the club.

Never wanted or asked for one as i liked to be independent when it came to players performance during and after a match.
    You joking Chippy?
  • I got a comp off Paul ( Wally) Went  at Huddersfield must have been late 60s.
  • Luton away when there was an away fan ban , Gritty sorted me some tickets through my old man knowing him or Paddy Powell through Metrogas 
  • Charlie Vaughn used to give us our comps back in the 80’s
  • Remember at Oxford around 84/85 when we got humped 5-0 and the usual distributor of these didn't travel, so the team captain I believe was given responsibility for them and gave the lot to an opportunistic fan who distributed them to other people rather than the usual recipients, who subsequently had to pay to get in. Pretty sure some of the elder statesmen will recall being handed a freebie for one of the many stands outside the turnstiles on the leafy lane behind the goal. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Invariably we got given tickets for most of our Third Division away games in the 70s, by manager Theo Foley.

In the hour before kick off he'd come outside in front of the ground looking for us, to tell us the team line up and gossip.
    Then he'd reach into his inside jacket pocket for a wad of complimentaries and dole them out to us, each in turn: "Do you need tickets lads?"

It was a ritual. These were the remainder of our team's complimentary tickets that were going spare.
    We loved Theo! Always  looked after us regular away fans and so sociable.

Exactly Oggy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a couple at Everton away, many years ago.
    '82?
    Maybe.
    If I try to remember I think it was the last game of the season.
    Correct.
  • Does anybody know what time Chris Parkes gets to the ground for the aways?
  • edited November 2021
    clb74 said:
    It actually used to annoy me when this happened, as back then the away club used to get a share of the gate money. Why travel to Plymouth for example to support the club and then not support the club.

You joking Chippy?
    No mate, used to make me feel sick watching them trundle of the coach heading straight to the players entrance to pick up their freebies, and that was most away matches.
  • Addickted said:
    It actually used to annoy me when this happened, as back then the away club used to get a share of the gate money. Why travel to Plymouth for example to support the club and then not support the club.

I bet your shit doesn't smell either  :D
    Dunno never smelt it. Not something I am into I am afraid.
  • clb74 said:

You joking Chippy?
    No mate, used to make me feel sick watching them trundle of the coach heading straight to the pllayers entrance to pick up their freebies, and that was most away matches.
    And always the same people
  • Can see 2 and 2 being put together here... 
  • edited November 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    clb74 said:

You joking Chippy?
    No mate, used to make me feel sick watching them trundle of the coach heading straight to the pllayers entrance to pick up their freebies, and that was most away matches.
    And always the same people
    I remember someone handing me some free tickets outside the away end at Everton once back in the 80s - cant for the life of me remember who it was  - and the tickets were for the main stand. When we got to our seats all around us were "senior members" of the supporters club who clearly had their noses in the trough and had been given freebies as well. 

I remember them eyeing us with suspicion and not looking best pleased to see us. Always stuck with me that has and I did wonder at the time if it was a regular thing for them. Seems like it was.
  • An amazing fella was Theo.