Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For old John Roan boys

2»

Comments

• Options
    Roan did indeed play at the Valley in 1971. 

40m each way?  What sort of timing is that?
  • Options
    I was always rubbish at football and went to Aske’s where we played rugby. However, I was competent at chess and we played Roan a couple of times. They had some decent players, a rather large kid called Michael Phillips is the only name I can remember. 
  • Options
    Was at Roan 70-77. First year I was in the same class as David Campbell. His brother Neil started a year later. Both were very good cricketers and golfers as well. Both were members like me at Shooters Hill Golf Club.

Great achievement for a Grammar school with an annual intake of 90 boys to be English school champions 3 times in 8 years compared to the much larger other secondary schools all over the country.

In my 60’s now but still regularly drive past the old playing fields - brings back many happy memories!
    I was at Roan from 70-77. Still in regular contact with Osbourne, Hutchings and Johnson. My two brothers also went. Remember David Campbell well - as you say, good at a lot of sports. 
  • Options
    I was at Roan from 70-77. Still in regular contact with Osbourne, Hutchings and Johnson. My two brothers also went. Remember David Campbell well - as you say, good at a lot of sports. 
    From the surnames mentioned you must have been in the second class. I was in the first with surnames A to F with Mr Ballantyne. These days can't remember what I did yesterday but can still remember the poxy register roll-call. Can recite all thirty names in less than a minute from over 50 years ago - how does that work !!!! 
  • Options
    From the surnames mentioned you must have been in the second class. I was in the first with surnames A to F with Mr Ballantyne. These days can't remember what I did yesterday but can still remember the poxy register roll-call. Can recite all thirty names in less than a minute from over 50 years ago - how does that work !!!! 
    Your right. Second class but can’t even remember our form teachers name!  On our first day you sat alphabetically hence I was sat next to Osbourne, became friends and he was best man when I got married.  Personal message me for more.
  • Options
    I was at Roan from 65-72, and Nigel Ballantyne was my first form master, and subsequent form masters included ‘Taffy’ Evans, ‘Hoppy’ Hopkins and ‘Dusty’ Rhodes.
    Great school, particularly if you were keen on sport. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Your right. Second class but can’t even remember our form teachers name!  On our first day you sat alphabetically hence I was sat next to Osbourne, became friends and he was best man when I got married.  Personal message me for more.
    Grammar school boy indeed….and Roan no less.
    By the way it’s you’re not your. 
    Detention and 250 lines for you old son. 😲
  • Options
    By the way it’s your’e not your. 😲
    Or even you're! 
  • Options
    Was there 74-79.  Remember Alfie Knott being shot by the IRA. 

Great school ruined by Ken Livingston and the ILEA.

• Options

By the way it’s you’re not your. 
    Detention and 250 lines for you old son. 😲
    Only got one detention!!

My uncle, a big fan, went to Roan as well. He used to bunk off and go and watch Charlton train.

One day the players said come and lead us out as our mascot at the FA Cup final. Unfortunately he had say no as his dad didn't know he was bunking off and would have killed him having to explain how he was asked!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So can I. 
    Ballantyne was also my form teacher in years 1&2/now 7&8.