Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton winding up 1984

Going through some old papers and found this Kentish Independent from 1984. See 2 pictures. I remember the time well. 

Comments

• Options
    No Sunley, no Charlton. Maybe. 
  • Options
    Nice one Scoops!
  • Options
    At times you forget how close we came to going out of business and how far we’ve come since then. I know we’re in the 3rd division but look around the ground and it’s unbelievable really (pity we don’t own it anymore though).
  • Options
    And Colin Cameron reporting too. 
  • Options
    The big question is which horse did Albert Fuller back ... or did he spend the dosh on three days worth of heroin?

But back to the original story.  Those really were harrowing times and probably the closest we came to extinction.
  • Options
    Lennie on the payphone at The Valley Club, the dash across to the High Court, know of some Charlton fans that followed the cab. And I'll never pay for a pie at Blackburn again. 
  • Options
    Poor old Woolwich and it’s drug gangs 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Poor old Woolwich and it’s drug gangs 
    Look at the inflation though, it was worth "thousands" of pounds back in 84. 

Hundreds of thousands now.
  • Options
    It surely was, 59th minute victory 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just 1984? They've been winding me up for years.
  • Options
    Would the museum like the paper  @Henry Irving
  • Options
    Lots of Greenwich Borough content on the front page of that “Kentish” newspaper! 

What happened in 1984? Did we actually go out of business?
  • Options
    Charlton survived, but the Kentish Independent didn’t - it shut down a few weeks later after 140 years.

There is (or certainly was a couple of years ago) an old ad for it on a newsagent kiosk at Bexleyheath station: https://853.london/2018/10/12/the-lost-independent-a-railway-station-sign-thats-a-piece-of-journalism-history/
  • Options
    Local papers used to be the main way of keeping up with Charlton years back. 
  • Options
    Living in West London, I didn't even have access to anything other than Thames News or The Evening Standard. It was a horrible 9 or 10 days with very little encouraging news. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    se9addick said:
    Lots of Greenwich Borough content on the front page of that “Kentish” newspaper! 

What happened in 1984? Did we actually go out of business?
    Yes, we were gone for about 10 days. Had to postpone a fixture at Blackburn and were warned by Football League that if we didn't play the next game v Grimsby, we were expelled from the league (like Bury were a couple of years ago). 

It still annoys me that only 7,600 turned up to that Grimsby match, two days after we had been saved. Reality was, that back then, not too many people gave a proper shit about Charlton. 
  • Options
    We lived in the North East in the early 1980s and, hard to believe maybe ... the only way that we had of keeping up with Charlton news was via the Mercury and Independent which were posted to me by my mother.

The letter would arrive on or around Thursday of the following week.

Internet?  Apps?  Pah!

This was also how I discovered local bias in such rags.  I saw us get thumped at Roker Park.  0-4 and we did well to get '0'.  But reading the London papers you would have thought that we had been robbed.

Fake news goes back a long way.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We lived in the North East in the early 1980s and, hard to believe maybe ... the only way that we had of keeping up with Charlton news was via the Mercury and Independent which were posted to me by my mother.

The letter would arrive on or around Thursday of the following week.

Internet?  Apps?  Pah!

This was also how I discovered local bias in such rags.  I saw us get thumped at Roker Park.  0-4 and we did well to get '0'.  But reading the London papers you would have thought that we had been robbed.

Fake news goes back a long way.
    Exactly the same here. Getting info was a nightmare back then living oop north, even the limited sport news on the tele and newspapers was regionalised, football didn't exist outside of the north west. My nan used to send me the local rags and the sunday sports pages every week so I could keep up!