Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Plymouth Argyle | Saturday 20th November 2021 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Plymouth Argyle
Saturday 20th November 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Pollard

Introduction
Charlton return to action this coming Saturday fresh from another International Break...

Sorry...  Correction; Jayden Stockley will potentially return to action fresh from having the weekend off last time out at Burton Albion - We all knew it was going be a feisty game in Staffordshire (they should have played it in Derbyshire) with Trevor Kettle in charge, and as a result the Addicks must now welcome League leaders: Plymouth Argyle with an even more depleted defence.

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle (1st) | Manager: Ryan Lowe
Ground: Home Park
Previous Meeting: Plymouth Argyle 0-6 Charlton Athletic

This really is a fixture that shows how fortunes can quickly change in Football - Just a few months ago the Pilgrims managed to equal their record home defeat since 1956 (although don't think they were trying), and their fans were questioning if it was the Manager, and not the players that were the issue.

Fast forward to the future, and our Manager has departed, whilst Ryan Lowe remains at the helm in Devon - Plymouth visit South East London this weekend full of confidence and on a run to boot. After all our opponents have lost just once all season, an opening day 2-0 defeat at Rotherham United. As a result its likely that the Pilgrims will be travelling up the A303 without any fear, but their recent 4-1 win over Accrington could yet be a concern, after all both Sunderland and Rotherham recorded similar score lines prior to facing a rejuvenated Charlton side.

So what are Plymouth doing differently to last season? - Well on this occasion we don't face them when they have nothing to play for, mid-table was assured and their players were already on holiday - In addition, goals seem to be coming from everywhere, rather than just a reliance on the Strikers.

Ryan Hardie though is the dangerman to be wary of this time, he has nine league goals already to his name this term and four assists to boot - Not bad for a player who only managed one goal in twelve for Plymouth last season, they must have seen potential to turn his loan from Blackpool into a permanent move last January, proof that stats aren't everything.

Ultimately can Plymouth sustain this form and return to the Championship? - The Fathers would be so proud.

Charlton Team News
Of course we had no choice with just two call ups, but I'm not going to lie I was a little apprehensive - Thankfully we earnt three points and have Chris Gunter back with no concerns, there is rumour that Conor Washington has a slight injury, but at present that's all it is... Unfortunately the Burton game did come at a cost, we've now lost Akin Famewo for what was a ridiculous fifth booking of the season.

Jayden Stockley could yet be suspended himself for this Saturdays encounter, we continue to wait for the EFL to make their decision on his red card appeal. Should nothing be decided prior to the weekend then he will be allowed to play, a word of caution though, if he earns a yellow card in this game (and loses his appeal) then that ban will increase to four games, given the fact that he'd have reached five bookings for the season.

MacGillivray
Gunter - Pearce - Souare
Dobson
Jaiyesimi - Lee - Gilbey - Purrington
Washington - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Elerewe - Clare - Watson - Kirk - Blackett-Taylor - Davison

Prediction
Shortly after Jackson's appointment I wrote a desire to see us earning nine points out of the fifteen available between the Sunderland game and this coming Saturday - Ten points have been achieved since then, and is it really any surprise that Johnnie has exceeded our expectations, even with him being a club legend. This Saturday its a chance to continue that good form, the rest of the League appear to be taking notice of our form... Lets keep applying that pressure.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I think Purrington would be better in the back three and they have a very good right winger so Souare and Purrington to swap places.
    I think that the appeal will be decided before the weekend. Davison to replace Stockley.
  • Options
    I am quietly confident, despite the players we have missing - I’m going for 2-1 to Charlton, Purrington and Washington for us
  • Options
    If that was to be the line up I'd swap Souare and Purrington. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    If that was to be the line up I'd swap Souare and Purrington. 
    Might even see them inter-changing

Was going to go with Elerewe in the centre and then Pearce to the left, but then remembered Souare against Leyton Orient.
  • Options
    We beat them 0-6 earlier this year (Adkins in charge), and now they are very organised and have only lost once this season. They have the same manager.

Their managers pain of that 0-6 home defeat probably made him think something needs to change and it woke him up. He put more effort into his job.

They are going to be tricky opposition and as strong title league contenders, they will be treating it like a cup final and will be very hard to beat.

It's going to be a big clash. I would personally take a point from it.

1-1, 2-2....yes please 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    We beat them 0-6 earlier this year (Adkins in charge), and now they are very organised and have only lost once this season. They have the same manager.

Their managers pain of that 0-6 home defeat probably made him think something needs to change and it woke him up. He put more effort into his job.

They are going to be tricky opposition and as strong title league contenders, they will be treating it like a cup final and will be very hard to beat.

It's going to be a big clash. I would personally take a point from it.

1-1, 2-2....yes please 

They threw out their whole defence and got a new one.
  • Options
    Again, another game I would take a draw in whilst continuing to move onwards and upwards!

We do have a tendency to play better against better oppo so could be in for a good game.

1-1 Washingston 
  • Options
    If Stockley plays I think we'll get a hard fought win. If he doesn't, I think we'll be doing well to get a point.

More than anything though, I'm looking forward to being in a big crowd at The Valley.
  • Options
    I’d throw Deji in there for Famewo, give the kid his big chance against a decent opposition, unless of course Souare playing there midweek was the warm up for him.  

Worried this may turn out like the Shrewsbury game of 2018, you think what are these mugs doing near the top then they then up and blow you away on the press.  But I also think fuck it let’s go for it here.

Really tough to predict probably the hardest prediction get.  So I’ll sit on the fence, 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Leuth said:
    Sean Clare gets rewarded for his best run of performances by being dropped from the squad, eh? 
    Cheers Leuth, always forget one or two - Put him back on the bench, wont be surprised if he starts ahead of Gunter or Souare
  • Options
    I can see Deji playing as the central CB and Pearce going left, even. Will be interesting to see how it lines up
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Plymouth are top for a reason.  Our form matches theirs over the last 4 so expect a good game.  Could potentially go either way, their run has to end some time, but 2 points against them and Rotherham would be a fine result.

They will be seeking revenge and expect match report headlines from last seasons 6-0 will be on their dressing room wall. That can backfire if they become too gung ho, and that has been a criticism levelled at them this season - they've got away with a few near misses.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sean Clare gets rewarded for his best run of performances by being dropped from the squad, eh? 
    I would have him on the bench instead of Kirk. If we need a goal put on B-T or Clair if we are holding on. I expect JS to give it 100% again and come off on 80 minutes.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I can see Deji playing as the central CB and Pearce going left, even. Will be interesting to see how it lines up
    I'd doubt that. Pearce has been playing so well in the central position and doesn't really have the pace to play on the left side. Purrington seems the most sensible option. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Leuth said:
    I would have him on the bench instead of Kirk. If we need a goal put on B-T or Clair if we are holding on. I expect JS to give it 100% again and come off on 80 minutes.
    You'd have Arter and Watson on the bench? What scenario has both coming on?? 
  • Options
    Absolutely buzzing for this, bring 2 uni mates too that I've not seen for 9 years. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leuth said:
    Redrobo said:
    Leuth said:
    You'd have Arter and Watson on the bench? What scenario has both coming on?? 
    Yes, but as my team has Stockley suspended Kirk would still be on my bench.
    You have also added in Arter who I never mentioned and he was not named in Forever’s squad. So if I add Clair to his squad, someone has to leave!  How does Arter get in as well? There is not a space.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Cheers Leuth, always forget one or two - Put him back on the bench, wont be surprised if he starts ahead of Gunter or Souare
    I think Clare will start
  • Options
    Hopefully the referee continues his spell with Charlton games in terms of bookings.

Only game where Pollard hasn't issued a card since the start of last season, was our game at the Valley against Burton

Just hope the score is a bit different.
  • Options
    Was Gunter outstanding for Wales at LCB in a 3 during the summer? 
  • Options
    I think he might go Clare, Pearce, Gunter as the back three. Unless Leko is fit, in which case Purrington could drop back.
  • Options
    The defence is a bit of a concern but otherwise that's a decent team. Substitutions could be our undoing when Gilbey and Lee tire.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Going to be a very tough match. Thought we handed ourselves well against Rotherham, so no reason to be concerned about playing league leaders.Would be a bonus if Leko is back on the bench for this one.

Start of a big week for us, If we can get 6+ Points from Plymouth, Morecambe and Shrewsbury would probably get us into the top 12, and can concentrate on looking up the division.

1-1 Draw. 
  • Options
    I am really looking forward to this game. It should be a cracking atmosphere with the big crowd and that could be like having an extra man. Who to pay in defence is a problem, but I wouldn't move Pearce or Purrington - both have been excellent recently in their current positions. I don't fancy having Souare as the left centre back. I think Clare deserves another chance based on recent form, so ether him on the left, or probably the better option of Gunter on the left and Clare on the right for me. I definitely don't want to see Pearce or Purrington moved though.

I think it unlikely that Stockley will be available, so it will likely be Davison up front with Washington. That does not sound ideal, but with attacking options from midfield, I think we should be okay. We will need the midfield to be really up for this game and I think they will be.

Plymouth are a very good team and this will be a tough game, but I have a sneaky feeling we will snatch a win, so my prediction is a (very) nervy 2-1 win (Lee and Purrington).
  • Options
    Sorry, when do we find out about Stockley?
  • Options
    our type of game .. Plymouth play good football, only one team has scored more goals and only two have conceded less than the Pilgrims in L1 so far  .. they have lost just ONCE.. so they have a good attack and a good defence .. I suspect that many teams have been 'scared' of them this season because of their attacking ability .. opponents have gone into their shells .. so the thing to do is attack them .. what we do well, attack and still keep tight at the back .. this will be Plymouth's second league defeat this season ..

CAFC 2 v Plymouth Argyle 0