Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading: Championship club deducted six points for breaking EFL financial rules

13»

Comments

• Options
    Club said they will settle with HMRC by the end of this week 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Club said they will settle with HMRC by the end of this week 
    Hmm... think I would be a bit skeptical of that if I were a Reading fan honestly. Or working for HMRC for that matter.
  • Options
    Club songs are all a matter of taste. Just listened Readings-a sort Eurovision/Euro-pop song, but bit too well sung and wordy  "we are fighting butterflies" and "expectations". I think "Addicks to Victory" stands up well, although heavy metal wouldn't be my favourite. Simple lyrics, earthy singing, and heavy rock guitar riffs. Given a few years on from TS departure I think it will get a better appraisal from the fans.
  • Options
    Poor Reading, the pitch is suffering from grey leaf spot too!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Sounds like their squad going into the season is ridiculously small. Few places have them nailed on for relegation. 
    Doesn't exactly look strong, especially when you factor in one is injured and 2 can't even be registered.

• Options
    Still got more strikers than us 
  • Options
    I imagine Andy Carroll is on decent wages for a penniless L1 club
  • Options
    I wonder if we go back for Smith in January 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Still got more strikers than us 
    Don't know that they do given Smith is injured and Carroll's injury record is positively Anekian.
  • Options
    HMRC bill paid and embargo lifted apparently so the new signings can play this weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HMRC bill paid and embargo lifted apparently so the new signings can play this weekend.
    I did say it would be a couple of days ago, but some poo pood it 😁
  • Options
    Soggy Biscuitmen.
  • Options

Reading Football Club has today received a one-point deduction with a further three points suspended after an Independent Disciplinary Commission determined that the Club had breached EFL Regulations.

The breaches related to the Club having failed to pay its players’ wages on time and in full on or around 31 October 2022, 30 November 2022, and 28 April 2023. 

Reading’s 2023/24 League One points tally will be adjusted immediately whilst Owner Dai Yongge has also been fined £10,000 and ordered to deposit an amount equal to 125% of the Club’s forecast monthly wage bill in a designated Club account, in an attempt to avoid further breaches.

If the 125% deposit is not paid within 28 days of the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s decision or there is any further failure to pay players’ salaries up until 30 June 2024, then the suspended points sanction will be activated.

The EFL remains extremely frustrated at the consistent failures of the Club’s ownership to meet its ongoing obligations under EFL Regulations, the consequences of which are having a negative impact for all those associated with Reading, particularly its staff members, supporters, and local community.

Whilst we acknowledge the independence of the commission and the sanction imposed, this outcome does fall some way short of the League’s existing sanctioning guidelines. The EFL will now undertake a full review of the decision issued, taking into consideration the recent previous sanctions imposed on the Club and their subsequent impact.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/august/16/efl-statement--reading-fc/

• Options
    One point ffs!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    One point ffs!
    very little point
  • Options
    Didn’t Wigan get 8 points deduction for the same offence?
  • Options
    Even the league saying one point is not enough of a punishment 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:

Reading Football Club has today received a one-point deduction with a further three points suspended after an Independent Disciplinary Commission determined that the Club had breached EFL Regulations.

The breaches related to the Club having failed to pay its players’ wages on time and in full on or around 31 October 2022, 30 November 2022, and 28 April 2023. 

Reading’s 2023/24 League One points tally will be adjusted immediately whilst Owner Dai Yongge has also been fined £10,000 and ordered to deposit an amount equal to 125% of the Club’s forecast monthly wage bill in a designated Club account, in an attempt to avoid further breaches.

If the 125% deposit is not paid within 28 days of the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s decision or there is any further failure to pay players’ salaries up until 30 June 2024, then the suspended points sanction will be activated.

The EFL remains extremely frustrated at the consistent failures of the Club’s ownership to meet its ongoing obligations under EFL Regulations, the consequences of which are having a negative impact for all those associated with Reading, particularly its staff members, supporters, and local community.

Whilst we acknowledge the independence of the commission and the sanction imposed, this outcome does fall some way short of the League’s existing sanctioning guidelines. The EFL will now undertake a full review of the decision issued, taking into consideration the recent previous sanctions imposed on the Club and their subsequent impact.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/august/16/efl-statement--reading-fc/

So Reading can get to mid April, realise they're not going up or down this season and then not pay wages that month because the only punishment would be three deducted points?