Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Very sad.
    Think he was one of around 9 signings Lennie made along with Mark Reid, John Humphrey & George Shipley that got us promotion the season we left the valley.
  • That's really sad. I read one study that said footballers were six times more likely to develop MND than the average population and in the case of John, as a centre back who would have been habitually heading a football, he would have been even more prone to doing so. John wasn't with us for that long but still made an impression.

This is the link to his Just Giving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/n-pender

No46 John Pender of Charlton Athletic - Football 87 - Panini - English amp  Scottish Leagues  Amazoncouk Sports amp Outdoors
  • Terrible news.
  • Very sad news. 
  • He was a brave player, and will be brave facing this. Good luck John.
  • Very sad. Awful condition.
  • Sad news.

He was a very important member of that 85/86 promotion team. He was also part of promotion winning teams for Wolves and Burnley.
  • Very sad, my father in law died of MND nearly 30 years ago now, horrible disease. 
  • edited November 2021
    Very sad, my father in law died of MND nearly 30 years ago now, horrible disease. 
    Yeah lost my Grandad to the disease almost 20-years ago

I'd never even heard of it till then, and always felt it never got the exposure like other illnesses.

You're now hearing of more and more people getting it, not exactly the exposure I meant

Hope he's able to enjoy as much of life that he can for the remainder of his days
  • I have a friend who is  going through this now,really awful to see,wish John all the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• How sad - good player - I was disappointed when he departed 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Lost my younger brother at just 44 in August to this bastard disease. No real point in wishing him luck as there is no cure. It’s a death sentence. The only hope is that it is quicker than most and the undignified suffering towards the end is kept to a minimum
    Very sad!
    Really sorry to hear that. 
  • Excellent player.
    Can only wish him and his family the best at this awful time.
  • Arrived from Wolves with John Humphrey. Both top quality. 
    This  appeal deserves our support. 
  • Awful news. Pender had the biggest thighs I’ve ever seen on a footballer. Very important player for us. 
  • Terrible news. Really good player for us. 
  • Awful news. Pender had the biggest thighs I’ve ever seen on a footballer. Very important player for us. 
    Ohhh I am not so sure - surely that title goes to Steve Thompson ?
    Paul went 
  • Sponsored links:

• Horrible news. 
  • There now seems to be little doubt that repeated blows to the head whilst playing games, especially football, rugby and boxing can lead to neurological problems in later life for some people. A sad state of affairs but little can be done unless there are radical changes to the way the above mentioned sports are carried out
  • Very sad. Such a dread disease.
    Paul went 
    Where?
  • Just gave, great player.
  • Very very sad. One of my favourite players in that team, No nonsense a proper leader.
  • Such sad news, remember John as one of our best defenders in the promotion season at Selhurst.
    Was choked when he left. Hope by some miracle he can beat this awful disease.