Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    Imagine our number 5 had contracted Covid prior to this Test and we had to weaken the side by bringing in someone with almost 3,000 Test runs to his name at an average of 41 to replace him. You've got to feel sorry for the Aussies.
    Absolutely,

What we would give to have a player who averages more than 60 at home even if he struggles abroad. Most of his tests have been in the top 3 as well. Always been a fan of Usman. 

Similarly we would kill for someone like Head who has a decent record at home or Warner who despite being a grade A bellend is a decent player in home conditions. And thats before you get to the actually good players like Labushagne and Smith.
  • Options
    Jesus !

Start delayed AGAIN due to rain. 

And there I was thinking Australia was hot & sunny in summer.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It seems that most people think the problem is when and how much "first class" cricket is played in England and Wales and are not bothered about the possibility of talent and the poor standard. 

I wonder if anyone would acknowledge that there may be an argument that - as well as the months in which it's played - an improvement in the quality of first class cricket is important too.
    I've already said that the England players should be playing more CC cricket. Ditch The Hundred, re-vamp The Blast and allow three overseas in the CC plus all the England players when possible and it will automatically be stronger. Three Divisions, no Play Offs etc etc, so 10 quality matches played in May/June/July/August will mean that the cream should also rise to the top. If these are timed to avoid the Test matches then those players needing to find form will have plenty of opportunity to do so. 
    I don't agree with everything you've said, but it seems we're in agreement that the standard isn't high enough. 
    Too many mediocre cricketers playing county cricket. One division of 8 teams with the best players players playing week in week out. 
  • Options
    Done well to survive so far today.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It seems that most people think the problem is when and how much "first class" cricket is played in England and Wales and are not bothered about the possibility of talent and the poor standard. 

I wonder if anyone would acknowledge that there may be an argument that - as well as the months in which it's played - an improvement in the quality of first class cricket is important too.
    I've already said that the England players should be playing more CC cricket. Ditch The Hundred, re-vamp The Blast and allow three overseas in the CC plus all the England players when possible and it will automatically be stronger. Three Divisions, no Play Offs etc etc, so 10 quality matches played in May/June/July/August will mean that the cream should also rise to the top. If these are timed to avoid the Test matches then those players needing to find form will have plenty of opportunity to do so. 
    I don't agree with everything you've said, but it seems we're in agreement that the standard isn't high enough. 
    Too many mediocre cricketers playing county cricket. One division of 8 teams with the best players players playing week in week out. 

What's wrong with my suggestion of three Divisions of six teams and 10 four day game? We've already seen the Royal London becoming a 2s competition and if we then, effectively, say to 10 Counties that there won't be any 4 day cricket for them then they might just as well shut up shop now. And how would it be decided who these teams are? Would it be franchised? More franchises or the same franchises as The Hundred?  If we only have eight Counties/Franchises where exactly is the infrastructure for producing players? The game is trying to reach out to more kids not less!

The teams in that top division will naturally attract the best players - and promotion could be limited to one up - but we don't need to destroy our history because of a Mickey Mouse competition that was introduced by individuals who have a desire purely to line their own pockets. As I say, get rid of it, re-vamp the Blast and make the CC more competitive. And just to be clear, the CC does not have to make money - it can be a loss leader if that then means red ball cricket is stronger - in any event people buy packages as Members that include entrance to all games.

Finally, the ECB are under a lot of pressure from the national side, the Counties and also grassroot cricket. So much so that they are struggling to get volunteer positions filled because people are fed up to the back teeth with the way the game is being run. 
  • Options
    Now got a draw written all over it. 
  • Options
    Any indication on when play might be able to start today?

• Options
    Any indication on when play might be able to start today?

When the rain stops.
  • Options
    Cricinfo has just suggested the start may be around the scheduled lunch time. They didn't sound very certain.
  • Options
    Covers coming off, players warming up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cook throws it away again for 189
  • Options
    Play starts in 15 mins if no rain. 73 overs in the day, provided there’s no more rain (yeah right).
  • Options
    Lunch at 2.30am
  • Options
    Lunch at 2.30am
    Bedtime at 2:30am!
  • Options
    Oh Carey. That was first slips catch.
  • Options
    To be fair to Carey it did swing late and he was already committed to going for it
  • Options
    That is garbage
  • Options
    Hameed bowled by Starc. 22-1
  • Options
    I'm afraid that despite wanting to give Hameed every chance, you cannot be a Test opener by leaving a gap that big between bat and pad and throwing your hands at the ball 
  • Options
    Butch is talking a lot of sense concerning England's batting, and the technical problems
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny what happens when you bowl a ball that is on line to hit the stumps.
  • Options
    I'm afraid that despite wanting to give Hameed every chance, you cannot be a Test opener by leaving a gap that big between bat and pad and throwing your hands at the ball 
    That's a Bairstow dismissal, but without the scoring shots to go with it
  • Options
    That's a Bairstow dismissal, but without the scoring shots to go with it
    I actually thought that the square drive that went for four was a bit of a "sxxx or bust" shot at the time, Almost a reaction to being dropped by taking the game to the Aussies. He then tried to hit one through mid wicket and finally attempted an expansive drive with no movement of the feet or head and not in line with the ball as a result.
  • Options
    I think Butch has got it right. Zak won't get too many opportunities to bat three times in one innings

Seb had a keeping session a couple of years ago in Canterbury and the hall was split into two with the other half just Crawley and Grant Stewart (who I believe were flat mates at the time) serving each other balls from the bowling machine. Crawley's drives were effortless and as per what he has demonstrated three times already this morning. His issue seems to be tightening  his defence and knowing where his off stump is.

But as I type this he takes one on the hand that spits and is unplayable as a result. Starc then asks what Crawley said the other night i.e. about him getting a ton!
  • Options
    Jesus !

We landed in Sydney in summer in the middle of a storm and it was biblical. Half the city was flooded and any cricket would have been stopped.
  • Options
    Seems strange to have Gower on commentary when for his last 20 years at Sky he was consigned to being the presenter
  • Options
    Jesus !

We landed in Sydney in summer in the middle of a storm and it was biblical. Half the city was flooded and any cricket would have been stopped.
    You don't expect Manchester drizzle though!
  • Options
    Oh FFS. Embarrassing that BOTH openers have been bowled through the gate
  • Options
    I think Butch has got it right. Zak won't get too many opportunities to bat three times in one innings

Seb had a keeping session a couple of years ago in Canterbury and the hall was split into two with the other half just Crawley and Grant Stewart (who I believe were flat mates at the time) serving each other balls from the bowling machine. Crawley's drives were effortless and as per what he has demonstrated three times already this morning. His issue seems to be tightening  his defence and knowing where his off stump is.

But as I type this he takes one on the hand that spits and is unplayable as a result. Starc then asks what Crawley said the other night i.e. about him getting a ton!
    And there you have it trying to play an expansive drive to a ball he should have been blocking
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Boland 7-7 now in his last two spells