Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gerald Sinstadt RIP

Former television commentator Gerald Sinstadt has died at the age of 91.

Sinstadt's work for the BBC and ITV made him one of football broadcasting's most recognisable voices in the 1970s after starting at Granada Television.

From 1970 to 1982, he covered four World Cups for ITV and also worked on Olympics Games for the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59231567

Comments

• Options
    Great commentator,

RIP
  • Options
    An excellent commentator. 
    RIP
  • Options
    One of the great commentators

RIP
  • Options
    I think he 'did' the Leeds play off game at Brum. RIP. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    He was the 'Brian Moore' of Sunday football highlights in Granada land when we moved north, kick Off I think it was called and did a great job.

RIP 
  • Options
    Great commentator 

Rest in peace 
  • Options
    RIP - another one from my youth gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great commentator and a great innings of 91.
    RIP.
  • Options
    Another sad loss. 
  • Options
    RIP Gerry.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    He got properly tucked up by The Sun and the Old Bill back in the 80s and his career took a massive knock that it never really recovered from after that. A familiar story, unfortunately.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP

A great broadcaster
  • Options
    A time when commentators knew that 'less is more'...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    I always have him synonymous with ITV. Like John Helm.

RIP.
  • Options
    a much appreciated old school commentator .. R I P 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    He got properly tucked up by The Sun and the Old Bill back in the 80s and his career took a massive knock that it never really recovered from after that. A familiar story, unfortunately.

RIP
    Pray tell - I don’t know about this incident ?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

RIP
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/charges-dropped-1434811.html
  • Options
    Didn't the red tops try and hint him into other sordid stories at the time?  My memory struggles with these things, but just remember something like when The Sun asked Wenger to 'respond' to rumours that he was a paedophile after a Tottenham taxi driver made up the story.  Scum The Sun.

RIP Gerald
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Off_it said:

RIP
    The charges were dropped. But only after The Sun printed a front page story about his arrest. 

How did they even know he'd been arrested? Clearly someone had "sold" them the story. Knowing what we do now I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Old Bill that tipped them off. However, other agencies were present that day - including someone I later worked with who was there at the time and told me the Old Bill treated him, in particular, appallingly that day - but I wouldn't be surprised if it came from the OB as they had the "contacts" with the gutter press.