Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Albania/San Marino

Comments

• Has Smith-Rowe only been called up because he plays for Arsenal because from what I've seen of him he's just an average Premiership player. Back to the Walcott over Bent days again are we.
    Clearly you dont watch Arsenal much, him/ Saka/Ramsdale have been the stand outs. Smith-Rowe seems to have the vision/passing and lately has added more goals, not breathtaking pace but he is quick and with Saka are the main threats for Arsenal the last year or so. 

IMO definitely merited, could others have got picked ahead? possibly
  • Has Smith-Rowe only been called up because he plays for Arsenal because from what I've seen of him he's just an average Premiership player. Back to the Walcott over Bent days again are we.
    Oh golfie, I do enjoy your posts. Smith Rowe has 11 PL appearances, 4 goals and 2 assists from midfield aged 21, including 3 goals and an assist in his last 3 games. He also played and scored for England's u21's a month ago. Who would you have called up in that spot ahead of him?
    A nippy striker 
    Probably been one of Arsenal's best players in the last few weeks.

However you're probably right to some degree in that i've no doubt if he played for Burnley or Brighton he wouldn't be getting a call up, but honestly there's not many midfielders been in better form than him over the last few weeks.
  • Smith-Rowe definitely deserves his callup

Conor Gallagher is the only other one who comes to mind
  • I do think players are getting senior call ups very soon these days though, it seems like you only need to have half a dozen good games and you're in the senior squad.

You only have to look at the mess of the U21 squad to know that.

Charlie Cresswell, Cody Drameh, Clinton Mola, Tommy Doyle, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Tony Gordon, Folarin Balogun 70 PL minutes for Arsenal,  Rhian Brewster 2 goals in 40 games for Sheff Utd.
  • I do think players are getting senior call ups very soon these days though, it seems like you only need to have half a dozen good games and you're in the senior squad.

Charlie Cresswell, Cody Drameh, Clinton Mola, Tommy Doyle, James Garner, Angel Gomes, Tony Gordon, Folarin Balogun 70 PL minutes for Arsenal,  Rhian Brewster 2 goals in 40 games for Sheff Utd.
    I very much doubt he's intended to be a crucial part of the squad, he'll be there to make up numbers and maybe get some time if things go well enough. 

Honestly it seems like some forward thinking to me, starting to bring through the next generation in small doses will hopefully allow for a continuity of the team spirit that Southgate has created. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Has Smith-Rowe only been called up because he plays for Arsenal because from what I've seen of him he's just an average Premiership player. Back to the Walcott over Bent days again are we.
    Oh golfie, I do enjoy your posts. Smith Rowe has 11 PL appearances, 4 goals and 2 assists from midfield aged 21, including 3 goals and an assist in his last 3 games. He also played and scored for England's u21's a month ago. Who would you have called up in that spot ahead of him?
    A nippy striker 
    Maybe a young Premier League loanee?
  • Alternatively, we call someone like Alli or Wilson to make up the numbers which doesn’t offer anything for the future.
  • Sponsored links:

There has been a significant change in the way we pick the age group squads though hasn't there.

20 years ago if you were a 20 year old playing in the 2nd division you would probably be called up even if there was no realistic chance of you ever playing for the full side.   In the old days it wouldn't have been surprising if someone like Doughty had been called up for the U21s. 

For the same reason you probably won't see players picking up a handful of caps in their late 20s early 30s like has been quite common in the past. 
  • edited November 2021
    Anyone doing the double header this weekend, tonight and Burton?
  • Anyone doing the double header this weekend, tonight and Burton?
    Yep - I’ll be watching both matches on the telly/Charlton TV. 
  • edited November 2021
    3-4-3?

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
    James - Phillips - Henderson - Chilwell
    Foden - Kane - Sterling

Or potentially a 3-5-2 if Foden plays centrally behind a front two of Kane and Sterling.
  • Long since given up criticising Southgate's negativity as he gets results but technically that is EIGHT defensive players at home to Albania.

I say technically because you'd assume James and Chilwell won't be that defensive, but even so. 
  • Roy Keane making friends with Spurs fans there  :D
  • Why the hell are England playing in blue at home?   Really pees me off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bugler was miming the last post. His fingers weren’t moving. 
  • Pickford taking lessons from Schmeichel in the FA cup QF in 1994
  • WTF was Pickford doing there?
    Leeds vs Chelsea
  • Lump on red card Albania. 
    The PL would have something to say about that 
  • That'll do nicely.
  • Clever block on Maguire's marker by Kalvin Phillips. Off the training ground.