Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pearce hopes Jacko gets job and speaks of lack of direction before

2»

Comments

• Options
    I've long thought,well at least for the last few months that Adkins was a carbon copy of Dowie.

Talks a good game to the uninitiated mind but when you really get down to the nuts and bolts he's flapping like a pair of strides in a force 10 storm.
  • Options
    I've long thought,well at least for the last few months that Adkins was a carbon copy of Dowie.

Talks a good game to the uninitiated mind but when you really get down to the nuts and bolts he's flapping like a pair of strides in a force 10 storm.
    I don't think that's completely fair to Adkins inasmuch as he did have a period of success. But I do think that its become fairly clear that he's something of a one trick pony and that trick is not working any more, at Charlton at least.

• Options
    I think you only have to look back at all clubs to see that there is a difference to a manager doing well and the same manager not being to manage their club out of a stall. I think Pardew is probably a better example than Dowie. And when he left us, he went back to being a decent manager again and was even touted for the England job. 

I don't know why that is but it is possible that it is easier for new eyes to change more whereas there may be some principles the existing manager is unwilling to move away from. Another factor is when you are doing well, everybody is generally pushing in the same direction, but when things are going badly, they are looking at who is to blame.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

He got the squad playing cricket, going for cross country 10km runs on the way to matches and a dubious relationship with alcohol? 
  • Options

He got the squad playing cricket, going for cross country 10km runs on the way to matches and a dubious relationship with alcohol? 
    He wasn’t that interesting 
  • Options
    It is pretty abysmal that Adkins has had all this time to decide on a style of play and explain it to his players so that they clearly understand what is required of them, yet he couldn't do what appeared to take Jacko a matter of days to.

Anyway, we can't turn back the clock, but we can take comfort in the fact that we appear to have a proper coach in charge now; that he just happens to be a universally loved club legend just makes it even better.

The whole aspect of the club has gone from abject depression to positivity and enjoyment of the football within a matter of days.  What a turnaround; long may it continue.
  • Options
    it's beginning to look as if Adkins had just lost his mojo, so what, it happens. If every manager got everything right there would only be 92 managers in the PL & EFL and none would ever leave their clubs unless poached by another or retiring. I know we all want someone to blame but maybe there isn't someone to blame just that it didn't work out under Adkins.
    There's an element of how much the coaching team was supporting him though. 

There was a lack of direction falls on the assistant manager and the coaches too no? If they're all contradicting themselves it would lead to a lack of direction. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    it's beginning to look as if Adkins had just lost his mojo, so what, it happens. If every manager got everything right there would only be 92 managers in the PL & EFL and none would ever leave their clubs unless poached by another or retiring. I know we all want someone to blame but maybe there isn't someone to blame just that it didn't work out under Adkins.
    There's an element of how much the coaching team was supporting him though. 

There was a lack of direction falls on the assistant manager and the coaches too no? If they're all contradicting themselves it would lead to a lack of direction. 
    Is there though? Because if you want to suggest that there was some kind of agenda going on you're probably going to need actual proof.

If the actual manager isn't providing any real direction (as Pearce states was the case) then his assistants' hands are pretty much tied. They need a direction to convey and that seems to have been missing. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    It's the relatability factor more than anything. Adkins clearly came in with a good idea (internally) of what he wanted to do but there was a clear generational breakdown in communication. The younger players probably thought he was a raving lunatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrWaIr85jsY
  • Options

He got the squad playing cricket, going for cross country 10km runs on the way to matches and a dubious relationship with alcohol
     As opposed to a dubious relationship to walking?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve heard murmurings around him being denied his own backroom staff. If true and he took the job anyway then I don’t like that. If you’re clear in what you want, stick to it and turn the job down.

At least everyone knows where they stand then.
  • Options
    Two wins and a draw at home against mighty Rotherham and everything is rosy again. I doubt it is. Hope I’m wrong but I think top six is way beyond us. That’s a wasted season in a shite division yet again. Getting out of league one is a damned site harder than people think. 
    I think last year was the best opportunity to get out of this league we'll have for a while. When you consider the teams now in L1; Ipswich, Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Rotherham, Shef Weds, Us and only 3 can go up with 3 teams coming down from a Championship that is increasing in quality every year; it's going to take something special to get back to the Championship. 
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I’ve heard murmurings around him being denied his own backroom staff. If true and he took the job anyway then I don’t like that. If you’re clear in what you want, stick to it and turn the job down.

At least everyone knows where they stand then.
    If I recall correctly his sidekick, Crosby, joined Port Vale about a week before Adkins joined us on a contract until the end of the season. I remember Adkins making a comment about backroom staff and seeing where we were in the summer. Rumours abounded at the time about JJ maybe joining Bowyer at Brum in the summer. Maybe that was expected and Adkins promised he could then bring Crosby in. JJ then stayed so scuppering that. At the end of the day though Adkins wanted Crosby in and it didn’t happen. Part of the reason it all went tits up for him.