Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November

Comments

• My summary this morning to my Dad who couldn watch last night

If wed played them 3 weeks ago we probably wouldve been buried for a hatful. Theyre clearly a rly good side who know how to play and they wouldve turned up thinking "how many can we put past this lot". Instead we got in their face and battled with them for every ball for 90 minutes. Theyre probably the better footballing team overall but we negated that with pure graft and desire. We were well up for it and by the end of the 2nd half they were clearly playing for a draw, whilst we were still hammering away at them. 

The mindset of the team and JJs ability to get the lads up for it was probably most prominent in how we came out for 2nd half after conceding just before HT, we hammered them for the first 15 and shouldve scored with Conors chance.

The contrast between NA and JJs team is insane rly, far more shocking a turnaround in quality than the Robinson>Bowyer change. You couldnt have asked more from the team last night rly.
    The bloke in teh middle of Scotty and Curbs on CharltonTV last night (Ali?) made a numberof good points but the oneI liked was when he referred to the Rotherham project hving had 8 transfer windows to get n teh players they want.

Whereas we, at most, have had one under Bow, one under Nadge and none under Jacko.
    agree about the pundit alongside Lord L and Minty .. he's often on the Quest highlights and seems to really know his way around the EFL, leagues 1 and 2 especially .. he is one of a few, new, youngish pundits/journalists nowadays who are able to talk about the game in a very coherent and accessible manner
  • MacG: that save earned us a point - some of his distribution is ropey
    Gunter: decent throughout
    Pearce: coped well with millers' physicality
    Famewo: eratic and panicky then graceful and assured - distribution and passing are dreadful which nearly cost us
    Dobson: quieter game against vastly improved opposition, got a bit headless and panicky with his passing
    DJ: gets crosses in without beating players but is lackadaisical never getting into the middle when we attack up the left, checked out after about an hour and effectively subbed himself after about 75 minutes. Injured?
    Gilbey: quietly excellent, shoulda scored, lesser sides than Rotherham will struggle against him
    Lee: tireless and dedicated but lacking that last bit of quality, too many of his dead balls were awful
    Purrington: Decent throughout
    Stockley: hamstrung from that first nonsense booking from the arsehole referee, coped well from then on, nothing fell for him but he'll have many easier games than he was afforded by those northern cloggers
    Washington: industrious, excellent and slightly unlucky
    Referee: an arsehole, dreadful, inconsistent, cowardly and easily easily fooled by all the childish playacting and timewasting.  Warne and his millers did a number on him from minute one.  Sparing Ihiekwe the 2nd yellow exemplified all Oldham's inadequacies.  Warne's immediate withdrawal of the miscreant is so, so telling.  Warne's post match comments a ringing condemnation of the referee's utter failure.  Probably didn't change the outcome, Rotherham had enough about them but refereeing of that standard jeopardises the integrity of the game.
  • edited November 2021
    I'm still pondering what Stockley was attempting with that 'pass' from the half way line with about thirty seconds left. Bit odd. We could have got everyone up and lumped it in the box for one last try.
    Was he shooting? Keeper was a long way out of his goal I think.

• Big thanks to  @aliwibble for doing a good job putting up the Match Thread. 

Cheers!

• Leuth said:
    People saying the CBT sub didnt work but part of me feels that was to have him hit on the counter if possible and making Rotherham think twice about committing too many bodies forward and nullifying there attacking threat. 

I dont think we will see him there regularly at all.  
    Perhaps. But bear in mind that DJ has played a similar role before (for Swindon), and it might be the case that CBT can work on it in training. 

Certainly having our wingers learn wing-back is preferable to Adkins' 'yes we can have wingers but they need to always be defending'

I just don't know where the new main formation leaves Kirk, who I'd trust defending his opposite number as much as I'd trust Stockley to not do a cheesy grin at some stage of the game 

Tbh I can see JJ changing things up at times to leave us less predictable. 
    Yeah, he possibly will at times ....... but first of all he's shown he wants a settled side, where everybody knows their role and players build 'relationships' with team mates.

Then it's about players giving a 100% performance to keep their shirt.
    Because there's a hungry squad player desperate for his own chance.

I don't think we'll see too much frequent squad rotation - IMO Jacko believes in a settled side where practicable.
    Remember, he's son of Powell.

• I'm still pondering what Stockley was attempting with that 'pass' from the half way line with about thirty seconds left. Bit odd. We could have got everyone up and lumped it in the box for one last try.
    Was he shooting? Keeper was a long way out of his goal I think.
    He was trying to switch it to Blackett-Taylor who was in quite a bit of open space. If it had come off he’d have been 1v1 with their fullback. 

Unfortunately, Stockley has very little ability outside of heading or chesting it down.

If wed played them 3 weeks ago we probably wouldve been buried for a hatful. Theyre clearly a rly good side who know how to play and they wouldve turned up thinking "how many can we put past this lot". Instead we got in their face and battled with them for every ball for 90 minutes. Theyre probably the better footballing team overall but we negated that with pure graft and desire. We were well up for it and by the end of the 2nd half they were clearly playing for a draw, whilst we were still hammering away at them. 

The mindset of the team and JJs ability to get the lads up for it was probably most prominent in how we came out for 2nd half after conceding just before HT, we hammered them for the first 15 and shouldve scored with Conors chance.

The contrast between NA and JJs team is insane rly, far more shocking a turnaround in quality than the Robinson>Bowyer change. You couldnt have asked more from the team last night rly.
    The bloke in teh middle of Scotty and Curbs on CharltonTV last night (Ali?) made a numberof good points but the oneI liked was when he referred to the Rotherham project hving had 8 transfer windows to get n teh players they want.

Whereas we, at most, have had one under Bow, one under Nadge and none under Jacko.
    agree about the pundit alongside Lord L and Minty .. he's often on the Quest highlights and seems to really know his way around the EFL, leagues 1 and 2 especially .. he is one of a few, new, youngish pundits/journalists nowadays who are able to talk about the game in a very coherent and accessible manner

Journalists and amateur enthusiasts often make the best pundits, imo. They can't draw on the experience of actually being a professional footballer, but they more than make up for that with research and knowledge that comes from being in love with the game. I think because they never played the game they feel they have to work harder and know more to justify being paid to talk about it. Same goes for a lot of the female ex-players who are now pundits on the mens' game - they have to know more and do more to get their spot on the pundits couch. A lot of ex-players seem to think that the mere fact they once played the game is all they need by way of qualifications and can quickly come across as under researched and ill informed, and just rely on received wisdom and cliches rather than providing any genuine insight. Much as I love it, the Beeb has been particularly bad in the last 15 to 20 years for hiring those types of people as pundits.
  • edited November 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Well that was a cracking game and a point more than deserved.

It's unreal how 3 games ago, this team looked completely unfit and totally inept. And now, here they were completing toe to toe with a very good Rotherham team who in the end were happy to walk away with a point.

Would only add that the referee was absolutely hopeless - for both teams, not just us. Lord only knows how he never sent the Rotherham player off for a clear second yellow. Still, he also missed Washington's clear push in the back on a Rotherham player before he scored.

And I'm glad Washington got that goal. Yes he misses too many chances but blimey, does he give 100%. 

Shame there's not another league game for a dew weeks if the Burton game gets cancelled.
    Have another looked at that. It looks to be shoulder to shoulder to me, so nothing wrong with it. He was just stronger than the Rotherham player. 
    Well I guess if you consider the Rotherham's player's shoulder is in his back it's a fair challenge!

We got away with one there. Time we had some luck. But I think we'd have been howling blue murder on here if it had been the otherway round.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    People saying the CBT sub didnt work but part of me feels that was to have him hit on the counter if possible and making Rotherham think twice about committing too many bodies forward and nullifying there attacking threat. 

I dont think we will see him there regularly at all.  
    Perhaps. But bear in mind that DJ has played a similar role before (for Swindon), and it might be the case that CBT can work on it in training. 

Certainly having our wingers learn wing-back is preferable to Adkins' 'yes we can have wingers but they need to always be defending'

I just don't know where the new main formation leaves Kirk, who I'd trust defending his opposite number as much as I'd trust Stockley to not do a cheesy grin at some stage of the game 

Tbh I can see JJ changing things up at times to leave us less predictable. 
    Yeah, he possibly will at times ....... but first of all he's shown he wants a settled side, where everybody knows their role and players build 'relationships' with team mates.

Then it's about players giving a 100% performance to keep their shirt.
    Because there's a hungry squad player desperate for his own chance.

I don't think we'll see too much frequent squad rotation - IMO Jacko believes in a settled side where practicable.
    Remember, he's son of Powell.

Yeah thats it. Much easier to play better, fluid football when the team have played together consistently and developed understanding. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Mad how we were relegation fodder 2 weeks ago and now have a chance of play offs. Safe to say we get a bit carried away.

at least things are positive now 
  • I'm interested to know what Jacko's Plan B is. At 75 minutes last night I said we needed to change it. CBT came on for DJ which is like for like but if we hadn't got the goal would he of changed formation? 
  • I'm still pondering what Stockley was attempting with that 'pass' from the half way line with about thirty seconds left. Bit odd. We could have got everyone up and lumped it in the box for one last try.
    I suspect it was in part because we were running out of time and in part trying to catch them out with something speculative hoping Washington or CBT could get onto it but not knowing where they were. I think it was worth a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    JamesSeed said:

It's unreal how 3 games ago, this team looked completely unfit and totally inept. And now, here they were completing toe to toe with a very good Rotherham team who in the end were happy to walk away with a point.

Would only add that the referee was absolutely hopeless - for both teams, not just us. Lord only knows how he never sent the Rotherham player off for a clear second yellow. Still, he also missed Washington's clear push in the back on a Rotherham player before he scored.

And I'm glad Washington got that goal. Yes he misses too many chances but blimey, does he give 100%. 

Shame there's not another league game for a dew weeks if the Burton game gets cancelled.
    Have another looked at that. It looks to be shoulder to shoulder to me, so nothing wrong with it. He was just stronger than the Rotherham player. 
    Well I guess if you consider the Rotherham's player's shoulder is in his back it's a fair challenge!

We got away with one there. Time we had some luck. But I think we'd have been howling blue murder on here if it had been the otherway round.
    This.

Perhaps the ref felt he owed us one over their goal. 

But then again its football. Lots of people on here arguing over their goal......Millers fans probably moaning over ours. 
  • A bit away from the game but something that I have always wondered

Why do we chant "oh south london.. is wonderful.. oh bermondsey.. is full of shit" when Bermondsey is in South London too. Geographically incorrect. 
  • edited November 2021
    Not a single Rotherham player appeals for a foul in the lead up to our goal.

Just good forward play.

I remember Lee Gregory doing something very similar to Tom Lockyer when Tom Ince equalised at The Valley for Stoke and I blamed Lockyer totally, it's not a foul, defender needs to be stronger.

Journalists and amateur enthusiasts often make the best pundits, imo. They can't draw on the experience of actually being a professional footballer, but they more than make up for that with research and knowledge that comes from being in love with the game. I think because they never played the game they feel they have to work harder and know more to justify being paid to talk about it. Same goes for a lot of the female ex-players who are now pundits on the mens' game - they have to know more and do more to get their spot on the pundits couch. A lot of ex-players seem to think that the mere fact they once played the game is all they need by way of qualifications and can quickly come across as under researched and ill informed, and just rely on received wisdom and cliches rather than providing any genuine insight. Much as I love it, the Beeb has been particularly bad in the last 15 to 20 years for hiring those types of people as pundits.
    terrific post .. the BBC employs bigheads (with not a lot in them) like Robby - I PLAYED the game Savage (how t f does he keep getting work ?) and Micah Richards whose claim to fame is that he has a louder and more ridiculous laugh than Kris Akabusi .. also the Beeb pundits now spend more time arguing and bigging themselves up than discussing football, AND of course, the EFL is rarely if ever mentioned .. it comes to something when the chat on Talksport is preferable to that on the BBC 
  • I've always been a massive defender of keepers and how they are unfairly crucified for that one mistake that costs us a goal. It doesn't matter how many good things they do for the rest of the game because their display seems to be defined by some for that one error.

And yet if an outfielder makes a similar mistake, providing they put in a decent and meaningful shift, it's almost as their mistake is forgotten. There is a great example of this from last night's game. The goal could have been prevented had DJ not been asleep and got goal side of the scorer he was meant to be marking. He didn't and found himself reacting to the situation all too late.

Effectively, that cost us two points. One could argue that it should have been a foul throw or someone should have stopped the ball from coming back into the danger area but, conversely, the argument that a shot should have been closed down is rarely put up as a defence of the keeper that parries a ball into the path of an on rushing forward. DJ had a very good game but, as I say, had a keeper made a blunder but did well for the rest of the evening I'm sure that he would not have enjoyed the marks that DJ has been awarded on the relevant thread.

I hope that the next time Mac or any of our other keepers make a similar mistake there is, perhaps, as much understanding.
  • Enjoyed the game, thought Rotherham, were a good mix of neat football, physical when needed to be without being thuggish, and "game management". We didn't quite match them in every dept, BUT we had a good go. 
    JJ/Jason have work to do, but we are transformed from the sides i saw against Bolton, away at MK. I really feel that we could make a run for the playoffs. MacG save kept us in it. 
    I think i have my Charlton back, and i am fu*king loving it!!.

terrific post .. the BBC employs bigheads (with not a lot in them) like Robby - I PLAYED the game Savage (how t f does he keep getting work ?) and Micah Richards whose claim to fame is that he has a louder and more ridiculous laugh than Kris Akabusi .. also the Beeb pundits now spend more time arguing and bigging themselves up than discussing football, AND of course, the EFL is rarely if ever mentioned .. it comes to something when the chat on Talksport is preferable to that on the BBC 
    There are a number of arrogant clueless pundits who do no preparation for their job and offer no insight - Savage is perhaps the worst. 

He's half of the not the top twenty podcast , which imo does an incredible job of covering all 72 teams - breadth and depth of knowledge is great, they really know their stuff. Jacko has been on a couple of times too 👍
  • edited November 2021
    JamesSeed said:

Shoulder blade maybe? I think it was telling that there were no appeals from the Rotherham players. It did look a bit dodgy on replay, but the fact that he didn’t use his arms would have counted in his favour I think.