Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home Charging a Hybrid Car

I am looking for advice about the options for charging a Hybrid Car at home.

Later this week I take delivery of a Volvo Hybrid Car.
I didn’t set out to buy a Hybrid version of this car, but the car I liked was a Hybrid.

I have a driveway and a garage, so charging overnight would not be a problem.

Volvo are offering me a 13amp plug charger or a heavy duty charger.

Any advice about home charging would be most welcome.

1.  Is it worth having a Home Charging point fitted?
    I understand that there are grants available for up to 75% of the cost.
    Are the savings made still worth the cost?

2.  Can you charge the car realistically using the 13 amp plug home charger?

3.   Any other advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't think you had to charge hybrid cars, my neighbour has a Lexus Hybrid and it charges its own batteries when he drives it, he never plugs it in.
  • Options
    I'd have a chat with a car dealer ... maybe Volvo?
  • Options
    I didn't think you had to charge hybrid cars, my neighbour has a Lexus Hybrid and it charges its own batteries when he drives it, he never plugs it in.
    Depends on if its self charging or plug in. Depends how big the battery is for how long it would take to charge on a 3 pin plug, and whether getting a proper charger would work better. 
  • Options
    We have got a fully electric Nissan leaf. 
    Didn’t bother with the rapid charger but can see they would be handy. We just charge using a normal plug in our garage and charge it up overnight when it gets down to about 15% percent battery. 
  • Options
    I think going forward, there will be a lot more in the way of grants for all kinds of energy efficient initiatives. 
  • Options
    The COP26 meeting starts this week in Glasgow.  Our current PM isn't averse to chucking the occasional bit of red meat to voters.  It may be that by waiting until the end of COP26, there will be an extra incentive for non fossil fuel vehicle drivers.  If you can wait a week or so before finalising your decision, it could work out worthwhile. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Depends on if its self charging or plug in. Depends how big the battery is for how long it would take to charge on a 3 pin plug, and whether getting a proper charger would work better. 
    All valid points.

You may get away with a 13amp plug with a hybrid as the batteries are normally much smaller than a full EV - but getting a wall charger now (subsidised!) future proofs you for when you possibly migrate to full EV. It's also another plus point if/when you come to sell the property. 
  • Options
    I have a Volvo hybrid which I got in August when Volvo were offering a free plug in charger which was installed about 3 weeks after I got the car. I used my 13amp charger until the plug in charger was fitted. The difference is that the 13amp takes a long time where the plug in is relatively quick, as for cost comparison I have no idea as my power supplier has recently been changed.
    From my experience I would go plug in for convenience if the cost of fitting warrants it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Volvo hybrid which I got in August when Volvo were offering a free plug in charger which was installed about 3 weeks after I got the car. I used my 13amp charger until the plug in charger was fitted. The difference is that the 13amp takes a long time where the plug in is relatively quick, as for cost comparison I have no idea as my power supplier has recently been changed.
    From my experience I would go plug in for convenience if the cost of fitting warrants it.
    The cost is like for like. A 7kw wall charger will take less than half the time of a 13 amp plug (3kw max if you're lucky) but the cost is based on how much charge you are putting in the battery.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The cost is like for like. A 7kw wall charger will take less than half the time of a 13 amp plug (3kw max if you're lucky) but the cost is based on how much charge you are putting in the battery.
    Add that to the 75% help from the Government and it's gotta be a "no brainer"
  • Options
    We have recently tried out a  BMW 330e, lovely motor but plugging it in every night was a bit of a drag, although without knowing much about the home charger that seems the way to go. 
  • Options
    Or you could go the diesel generator route....?

;)
  • Options
    I have just spoken to the Volvo dealer. He mentioned that Volvo were offering the free plug in charger but that has now been stopped.

He also said that due with the current world wide Computerised Chip problem Volvo cannot fulfill their customers, many of them are still waiting months for their free chargers.
  • Options
    I have just spoken to the Volvo dealer. He mentioned that Volvo were offering the free plug in charger but that has now been stopped.

He also said that due with the current world wide Computerised Chip problem Volvo cannot fulfill their customers, many of them are still waiting months for their free chargers.
    Yes the dealer is right, I had a lot of trouble getting my charger fitted but it was worth the wait 
  • Options
    I got a £350 grant off of my ohme charger leaving me with £660 to pay. Having to get a smart meter fitted tomorrow to make use of the 5 pence per kwh between 12.30 and 4.30 so will be much better of in the long run rather than paying up to £10 a charge on the streets.
  • Options
    I got a £350 grant off of my ohme charger leaving me with £660 to pay. Having to get a smart meter fitted tomorrow to make use of the 5 pence per kwh between 12.30 and 4.30 so will be much better of in the long run rather than paying up to £10 a charge on the streets.
    @O-Randy-Hunt - Just out of interest, how many full power miles do you get out of a £10 charge?
  • Options
    My vehicle only does 60 odd miles which is pretty pony to be honest but that will now cost me something around £1.50 on the home charger. The rapid ones on the streets up town range from £6 to £10 depending on which ones you use and take about 45 mins to an hour.

That's if you find one that isnt broken or not being used.
  • Options
    I've got a neighbour who lives on the top floor of a maisonette. He's recently bought a hyundai iconic and has an extention lead running from his,down the stairs and across a garden and across the pavement. He has put a bit of carpet over the lead on the pavement to be fair but still it's a joke to look at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got a neighbour who lives on the top floor of a maisonette. He's recently bought a hyundai iconic and has an extention lead running from his,down the stairs and across a garden and across the pavement. He has put a bit of carpet over the lead on the pavement to be fair but still it's a joke to look at.
    Accident waiting to happen 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I will try and remember to take a pic of it. It's the 1st thing that crossed my mind accident waiting to happen and a big claim against somebody 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I will try and remember to take a pic of it. It's the 1st thing that crossed my mind accident waiting to happen and a big claim against somebody 
    I cannot believe it is legal - but bizarrely there is no law against it. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Gribbo said:
    Top floor, that’s a big old voltage drop.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Gribbo said:
    You sure?
  • Options
    On a separate question, anyone know very roughly how much it costs to fully charge an electric car?, I appreciate it depends on the battery size and electric tariff etc, but looking to buy one and want to do a comparison against petrol / diesel. So just a very rough guide would be appreciated.

Thank you 😀.
  • Options
    It costs us 5-6 quid to charge up from about 15% to fully charge overnight. I dont think we have cheaper nighttime tariffs though. 

This is a Nissan Leaf. 
    Wife was spending 40 quid a week commuting to work in our Qashqai and now about a tenner 
  • Options
    My vehicle only does 60 odd miles which is pretty pony to be honest but that will now cost me something around £1.50 on the home charger. The rapid ones on the streets up town range from £6 to £10 depending on which ones you use and take about 45 mins to an hour.

And this is why I will not buy an electric car until I can do at least 300 miles on a single charge. orpingtonRED said:
    And the other reason why I wont buy one. 

COP26 is a joke. You cant even get the public to buy a car that doesnt realistically cause any issues. 
  • Options

And this is why I will not buy an electric car until I can do at least 300 miles on a single charge. orpingtonRED said:
    And the other reason why I wont buy one. 

COP26 is a joke. You cant even get the public to buy a car that doesnt realistically cause any issues. 
    That's 60 miles in the warmer months. The minute the weather turns freezing that will go down to mid 40s to 50 👎