Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Referee forgets to add injury time

Ref Alan Young forgot to add four minutes injury time to the first half of the Orient v Hartlepool match yesterday, so when the players came out for the second half, he instructed the players to play the added four minutes, before changing ends & continuing with the second half.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16583957/leyton-orient-hartlepool-ref-forgets-injury-time/

Comments

• Isnt it the refs decision to add time or not? So if he decided not to add any in the first half then surely you just carry on with the second half?
  • Off_it said:
    Isnt it the refs decision to add time or not? So if he decided not to add any in the first half then surely you just carry on with the second half?
    That is correct. 

• No excuses for making a mistake like that and should be sacked. 
  • Off_it said:
    Isnt it the refs decision to add time or not? So if he decided not to add any in the first half then surely you just carry on with the second half?
    Exactly. 

He is the sole arbiter of time. A referee's decision is final. If he decrees there was no added on time then there was no added on time.

Or are we saying that referees are infallible...?  Mercy me.
  • Off_it said:
    Exactly. 

He is the sole arbiter of time. A referee's decision is final. If he decrees there was no added on time then there was no added on time.

Or are we saying that referees are infallible...?  Mercy me.
    Unless you refer to the laws of the game. 
  • There is nothing scientific about the ref's time keeping. They basically just make it up and it is why wasting time is an effective tactic. The ref probably forgot about a delay or two rather than forget to add on time and given the scoreline, he would have got away with just not playing the time. 
  • Presume he'll get a promotion and be in charge of the next Charlton game as a result
  • How on earth can you forget to add injury time?

At the end of the half a ref has one decision to make, how much injury time to play. How can you forget the only thing you have to decide on?
  • edited November 2021
    It reminds me of a funny story from my management days. I know purists won't like me saying this and some will criticise, but I did work out that refs at our level seemed keen not to add on too much time so we did have basic time wasting plans for the right situation. My son took retrieving a ball from under a car once into an art form of staged incompetence.

Anyway, towards the end of the season, a lot of teams had a preferred match ball and would try to retrieve it from bushes etc... rather than throw another into play. I would suggest to my team good thick bushes to clear the ball into if we were ahead near the end of the game. We were playing a very good side and I made a forceful reminder about this pointing out a good area if the opportunity arose.

We were 1 up and the ball tricked out of play. One of our enthusiastic lads ran up to it and blasted it into the bushes. I hadn't meant doing it when the ball was stationary out of play, but as a legitimate clearance. This really wound our opponents up and when a player got genuinely hurt from a later challenge, it got toxic.

It got to the point where our opponents were blocking the car park exit after the game wanting a fight. I recall saying, we came for the points not to get kicked out of the league to the lads to stop a massive punch up. I don't moan when opponents waste time as I believe it should be the ref that does his job to prevent it. Football is full of cheating and it amazes me how some of it seems to be acceptable and some doesn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not the referees choice, "additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced".

There is a seeming contradiction with, "The referee must not compensate for a time keeping error during the first half by changing the length of the second half". That's why he played four minutes and then changed ends. Not ideal, but the best he could do under the circumstances. What surprises me is that the 4th official didn't pull him up on it the second he blew his whistle.
  • Bloke has had a bad day at the office. Fair play to owing up to the error and trying to atone for his mistake, though Hartlepool had the rough end of the stick here. 

Good job it was not involving us, as a certain individual on here would want him banned from
    doing a football match ever again 
  • It reminds me of a funny story from my management days. I know purists won't like me saying this and some will criticise, but I did work out that refs at our level seemed keen not to add on too much time so we did have basic time wasting plans for the right situation. My son took retrieving a ball from under a car once into an art form of staged incompetence.

Anyway, towards the end of the season, a lot of teams had a preferred match ball and would try to retrieve it from bushes etc... rather than throw another into play. I would suggest to my team good thick bushes to clear the ball into if we were ahead near the end of the game. We were playing a very good side and I made a forceful reminder about this pointing out a good area if the opportunity arose.

We were 1 up and the ball tricked out of play. One of our enthusiastic lads ran up to it and blasted it into the bushes. I hadn't meant doing it when the ball was stationary out of play, but as a legitimate clearance. This really wound our opponents up and when a player got genuinely hurt from a later challenge, it got toxic.

It got to the point where our opponents were blocking the car park exit after the game wanting a fight. I recall saying, we came for the points not to get kicked out of the league to the lads to stop a massive punch up. I don't moan when opponents waste time as I believe it should be the ref that does his job to prevent it. Football is full of cheating and it amazes me how some of it seems to be acceptable and some doesn't.
    How sad. 
    Kids football.
  • Something that has always bugged me. Time added on. In the old days if it was say 3 minutes 15 seconds of injury time the ref added on 3.15. What happens now? Does he round up? so it's not less than 4 minutes? Always seems strange to me. 
  • Great to see the O's doing well and Pratley continuing to contribute.
  • redman said:
    Something that has always bugged me. Time added on. In the old days if it was say 3 minutes 15 seconds of injury time the ref added on 3.15. What happens now? Does he round up? so it's not less than 4 minutes? Always seems strange to me. 
    Round up! That's why a half of football is never less than 46 minutes!
  • edited November 2021
    Redrobo said:
    It reminds me of a funny story from my management days. I know purists won't like me saying this and some will criticise, but I did work out that refs at our level seemed keen not to add on too much time so we did have basic time wasting plans for the right situation. My son took retrieving a ball from under a car once into an art form of staged incompetence.

How sad. 
    Kids football.
    U18s football (18 and 19 year olds). 4th division team the previous season playing and beating 1st division teams.