Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst teams at The Valley

Doncaster absolutely stunk the place out today. It was 4 but no one could have argued if it was 8 and if we’d competed in some form of non-goalkeeper experiment today I still don’t back them to score more than 1. 

Anyone remember any other particular stinkers to grace our turf?

Comments

• Options
    Crewe earlier on this season were equally as atrocious.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Charlton. 

Have we forgotten the number of games we played without more than 1 attempt on target?

Increasing number of Clubs' fans have said they've not seen a worse team than us all season, which makes me think we've been Doncaster until of late!
    Yep, got to agree with this.
  • Options
    Not quite sure we should mention how bad others have been, when for some seasons we could quite easily fall into that bracket (including this). A couple of hot days dont make a summer.
  • Options
    West Ham in 06/07 when we bopped them 4 nil were an utter shambles that day under the returning Curbs. Never saw them staying up on that showing but somehow they went on an amazingly run shortly after and did.
  • Options
    Shrewsbury when Ricky Holmes scored directly from a corner and we won 3-0... They were awful and thought they'd go down, it was early in the season and they were fine though. Ironically the following season they beat us in the Play-Offs 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Crewe earlier on this season were equally as atrocious.
    Crewe were rubbish too, but they weren’t Doncaster rubbish. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Donny were absolutely atrocious.  I have given this an awful lot of thought and the only team that I can come up with who were worse then them is Swansea in the old Division 3 around 1973.

We beat them 6-0 in a night game. I remember Paul Davies, brother of Ron scoring.  They were abysmal. I think we beat Notts County 6-1 in the next home game and Flanagan scored 4. 

Already relegated Bristol City in 2013 in the last game of the season were pretty bad. We won 4-1, but could have been a lot more. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doncaster are very consistent on the road! I see they lost 6-0 at Ipswich (back when Ipswich had been struggling), a game in which they had one shot on target, their ONLY shot in the whole match...
  • Options
    Hvidovre weren't very good when they came over in '79/'80
  • Options
    The Charlton Life teams of 2007 were almost as bad as Charlton under The Nigel.
  • Options
    The Stockport side which we played in 2010. Was the worst I remember. 2-0 up about 7 mins and were absolutely terrible. Only won 2-0 but still one of the worst teams I remember seeing at The Valley.
  • Options
    Norwich on the final day in 2009. We were already relegated and stuck 4 past them. They were dreadful.
  • Options
    The game when nabby sarr got sent off in the first five minutes, sure it was Wimbledon.
    they played like they had ten men and I’m sure we won 1-0
  • Options
    Justafan said:
    The game when nabby sarr got sent off in the first five minutes, sure it was Wimbledon.
    Yep, their performance is certainly a contender. They were truly woeful. 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Norwich on the final day in 2009. We were already relegated and stuck 4 past them. They were dreadful.
    This was the worst performance by a team who had something to play for. Or perhaps Coventry on the last day of the previous season. Sure we walloped them 4 1 as well but they stayed up due to results elsewhere.
  • Options
    I recall us playing MK Dons in the 2017/18 season. Ended 2-2. We were excellent, and I think MK Dons got an absolute garbage pen late on to nick a point.

I'll never understand how we didn't win that.

Remember Scunthorpe being really poor when we beat them 4-0. Taylor scored a belting FK. Think they went down that year.
  • Options
    Rochdale at home on the last day of the season when we finished 3rd and got promoted. Woeful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peterborough when Nelson got a hattrick were bad. 

Was it WBA when Robinson missed a pen in the first half for his hat trick, who ever its was they were bad. 

• Options
    West brom when we beat them 5-0 at home, think it was 99/00, we lost to them last day and it kept them up, we were already in the beach having won the league. 

Also honourable mention to Barnsley at oakwell in the 6-0 up there and also man City opening day 00/01
  • Options
    West brom when we beat them 5-0 at home, think it was 99/00, we lost to them last day and it kept them up, we were already in the beach having won the league. 

Also honourable mention to Barnsley at oakwell in the 6-0 up there and also man City opening day 00/01
    The 5-0 game was the play-off winning season I believe.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Justafan said:
    We won 2-0. They were awful but the ref seemed on a mission to even the score after sending Sarr off so early - and he did so in the 33rd minute by making it 10 vs 10. Still took us until the 60th minute to score - somehow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46491359
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I remember Carlisle at The Valley in 2011 being very, very bad. I think we were 3-0 up at half time and they were somehow down to ten men for 2 yellows. Hollands scored just after half time with a dribbler that somehow went through the keeper's legs which he was too embarrassed to properly celebrate. I'm pretty sure they missed a penalty as well. My memory of the game is they were so bad I was actually bored after Hollands scored and I couldn't wait for it to be over, which isn't often how you feel during a 4-0 win.
    EDIT: Yep, found the highlights. Forgot we scored direct from a kick out from Hamer as well. Absolutely wretched https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/15422763

• Options
    Im sure Ive seen Charlton play shit at home way more times than any opposition.
  • Options

The West Brom team that game gets my vote too, a mid week game under the lights iirc. 
  • Options
    Not quite sure we should mention how bad others have been, when for some seasons we could quite easily fall into that bracket (including this). A couple of hot days dont make a summer.
    Judging by your wooly hat Saturday it was certainly not hot.
  • Options
    Belv said:

The 5-0 game was the play-off winning season I believe.
    Yep your right, I think 99/00 was Grimsby, they were abject too
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Edited: Noticed that the Wimbledon game got mentioned a few posts up