Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A diamond back four?

Been trying to work out how to describe our formation over the last two games and this is the best I’ve been able to come up with. 

I’m not clever enough to know how we’re not getting punished down our flanks (yet) but long may it continue.

—————-CMG
—————Pearce
———Gunter - Famewo
————- Dobson
Leko - Gilbey - Lee - Purrington
——Stockley - Washington

Does this look about right to anyone else or am I completely off? The typical 3-5-2 is probably closest and I might be overcomplicating but I feel as though the wide players have a lot more freedom that would be traditional whereas Dobson will rarely venture forward at all and help retain the tip of that diamond.

Comments

• Looks about right - Washington even drops a bit behind Stockley sometimes too. 
  • edited October 2021
    Don't over-analyse it.

We played a back three today (Gunter, Pearce and Famewo) with Purrington filling the left-midfield space, but with some defensive mentality.

On the right, we had Leko, but with some attacking mentality.

It's a sort of unbalanced 3-5-2.

When Leko went off, DJ appeared (yaay) and our defensive right side got weaker.  It will be interesting to see if Rotherham exploit that.

Totally off topic ... I thought that Dobson was superb today.
  • It's 3-1-4-2 which morphs into 4-4-2 if we are pressed back (which didn't happen much today). 
  • When Leko was replaced by DJ, it looked more like a 442 for much of the time, with Gunter playing wider as a RB rather than a CB

The key for the system to work was Dobson dropping very deep so that he effectively became a 3rd defender
  • edited October 2021
    imo that's wrong. Leko was certainly futher forward than Purrington. The main point was it was flexible. Purrington did sometimes drop back to make it a back 4. 
    Lee generally was more forward than Gilbey but not in a rigid way. Most of this was allowed because Dobson was all over the middle. 
    I'm sure we don't get at this level but would have been interestested to the maps of players 
  • Simonsen said:
    It's 3-1-4-2 which morphs into 4-4-2 if we are pressed back (which didn't happen much today). 
    This. Seemed to me to be a hybrid system. In possession it was something like a 3-1-6 shape. We didn't have to do much work out of possession but it seemed like the plan was to fall into a 4-4-2ish shape, Purrington retreating from LWB to LB, and Gunter shuffling from RCB to RB.

Very interesting and someting you mostly see at higher levels of the game. Interested to see how it works going forward when teams start to suss it out. 
  • The key change is the personnel rather than the system, although I like the flexibility of the system. With Lee and Gilbey in midfield we have 2 energetic ball carriers who find space to operate in and who can get forward fast. With Dobson we have an energetic midfielder who can protect the back 3/4.
    I may be wrong but I don't think those 3 players had been in the same 11 until Sunderland?

Add the fact of having 2 strikers and with the movement of Lee and Gilbey we also have more players in their penalty area when we attack.

If any of those 3 get injured we may struggle again.
  • Southbank said:
    The key change is the personnel rather than the system, although I like the flexibility of the system. With Lee and Gilbey in midfield we have 2 energetic ball carriers who find space to operate in and who can get forward fast. With Dobson we have an energetic midfielder who can protect the back 3/4.
    I may be wrong but I don't think those 3 players had been in the same 11 until Sunderland?

Add the fact of having 2 strikers and with the movement of Lee and Gilbey we also have more players in their penalty area when we attack.

If any of those 3 get injured we may struggle again.
    Any of them getting injured would no doubt weaken us, but I'm sure we wouldn't revert to the way we were playing under Adkins.

Jackson has improved every aspect of our game. I'd see Clare coming in who although isn't as good would still give us energy and is capable of pressing, finding space, getting in the box and tracking back.

Hopefully JFC continues his progress comes back the player he was to strengthen us further.

January will be interesting, we'll need to move players on before we can bring any outfield players in (unless they're u21). Arter, Kirk and CBT are possibilities. Watson, Gunter and Matthews seems less likely as they're probably not going to attract much interest.
  • 3142 when attacking, 4141 when defending for the most part:

MacGillivray
    Gunter Pearce Famewo
    Dobson
    Leko Gilbey Lee Purrington 
    Stockley Washington

MacGillivray
    Gunter Pearce Famewo Purrington
    Dobson
    Leko Gilbey Lee Washington
    Stockley
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    I think they were put in a formation and told 'to do your best and a whole bit more' without any further direction. They currently being coached and the difference is more than obviously evident.

One thing our smarter fans have grasped is that you will give opportunities while playing flying wingbacks but you take the advantages...Purrington's goals and DJ's assists.

A number who do not 'get it' are still referencing one instance that a wing back didn't track his man. It's a real give and take so on balance you go with what is working for the team.