Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did you ever have a drink here?

Comments

• Options
    Is that our social?  If so, yes, bought by Sweaty under instruction from Carlo. 
  • Options
    Yes.
    The valley club must’ve remained open after we left the valley as I played darts there and remember the crossbar from the game v Stoke was hanging up in there.
  • Options
    Several, mostly after we left The Valley and before it was demolished (1992 ?)
  • Options
    I might have gone to a junior red party there. Is junior reds still a thing?
  • Options
    lots.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    My son did and Dads taxis collected him afterwards, couldn’t drink and drive of course with the heir to the throne on board 😉.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Wasn't the fans' Q&A with Alan Mullery held here (in 81-82), which I definitely went to (and I would have a drink)?  That was an enjoyable evening, Mullery could certainly entertain a crowd.

One notable question concerned the hapless Viggo Jacobsen, who, amazingly, was still on our books.  One guy asked, it seemed being serious, why Jacobsen wasn't being given a chance in the first team.  I expected a diplomatic response along the lines of "it just hasn't worked out for him here", but instead Mullery said something along the lines of Jacobsen not being anywhere near good enough to be  professional footballer.

In it's heyday the Valley Club was a proper destination, my folks went there a number of times
  • Options
    When was it knocked down and when was the land it was on sold?
  • Options
    Remember going to quite a few dos there back in the day ...I think the manager was called Ray Don 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only time I can remember drinking in there was the night of the meeting with Michael Norris & Lennie Lawrence held to talk to fans about the recent move to Selhurst. Went in there as a kid with my cousins a couple of times too.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Isn’t the land it was on now swallowed up by the North Stand expansion onto Harvey Gardens? 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    There's a nice picture in the replies to the Museum tweet about the Valley Club that was taken at one of the Junior Reds Christmas Parties by the looks of things:
    I suspect there's probably a few of us on here that went to one of those held there.
    @Todds_right_hook These days it seems to be split between Junior Addicks and Teen Addicks, and I doubt they do the away trips any more. Having to get any parent volunteers DBS checked would be a massive faff for a starters. It's a shame, as it meant I got to go to a lot more away games in my mid teens than I would have done if I had to rely on going with my family, and there's no way they would have let me go on my own.
  • Options
    Oh yes, was there when Lennie and Mark Aizlwood had to placate the madding crowd which initially got irritated over free train tickets. Few of us on here would play quiz matches subsequently at this venue. But didn't mind ultimately we ended up playing somewhere else (quiz that is) 😊
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Isn’t the land it was on now swallowed up by the North Stand expansion onto Harvey Gardens? 🤷‍♂️
    I don't remember any traces of it when we returned in 1992?
  • Options
    Did I hear free train tickets?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I went in there before games quite a lot in the period running up to us leaving The Valley in 1985, and then the notorious meeting when Aizlewood was dragged in to calm everyone down. That meeting is worth a thread on its own.

Pretty sure the last time I was there was to get tickets for the St Andrews game with Leeds, Lennie Lawrence was in there that night, made you wonder if we were so skint he had to buy a ticket as well.

Ray Donn has his own Wikipedia entry, seems to have led a very full life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Donn
  • Options
    Went in with my dad a few times, but used to knock about outside it
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pretty sure I even remember that Jag / Daimler parked outside n all
  • Options
    always went in there with my old man before games, loved it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knocked down in 1991, the land was part of what Alwen/Norris purchased in 1988
  • Options
    Don't think I ever went in there before we left in 85. During the exile years went there numerous times for Junior Reds Christmas parties, Quiz Nights, Supporter Clubs AGM, Football Presentation and the occasional Saturday night as my Dad became a member. Also went in there one Saturday morning to collect leaflets for the Valley Party which we distributed in Woolwich. Was also in there the night Greenwich Council finally gave us the go ahead in 1991
  • Options
    Didn't Mike Bailey run the Social Club at some point ?
    In about 85 with a bloke called Ken Hunt
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Didn't Mike Bailey run the Social Club at some point ?
    In about 85 with a bloke called Ken Hunt
    Best not to get those Christian names round the wrong way otherwise you’d end up with Ken Bailey and Mike Hunt 😆
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I don't remember any traces of it when we returned in 1992?
     Correct, it was demolished but the land was still there 😉.
  • Options
    Went there on numerous occasions … great to see a photo 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Believe so 

The museum sits almost on top of where it stood
  • Options
    I drank and got drunk in there many, many times.

I played darts for various pubs, RoD, Antigallican, Royal Oak, Horse & Groom (same bunch, we were just nomads!) throughout south east London from 75 to late 80s and most years The Valley Club were in our league - they had a very good team and we nicked a couple of their players!

Made of wood and glass - how very coincidental!!