Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    The Mets won the world series.... 
  • Options
    I was there! 35 years ago - bloody hell that makes me feel old.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I was there but missed the goal.  :(
  • Options
    I was there but missed the goal.  :(
    Same here.

They kicked off, I turned round to say something to my mate and, bugger me, Jimmy M scored when I was looking the wrong sodding way!

An important lesson duly learned at a tender age.

These days I just miss goals because my eyesight is so poor or I'm posting drivel on the match thread ...
  • Options
    I was there - great 3-1 win...
  • Options
    I was there! 35 years ago - bloody hell that makes me feel old.
    Obviously, about the same age as me, because I was there as well
  • Options
    John Pearson scored our slowest ever goal in that game , felt like it took him half hour to score when he went through 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jim will be in attendance this Saturday v Doncaster Rovers, going to try and pop in the museum with him.
  • Options
    John Pearson scored our slowest ever goal in that game , felt like it took him half hour to score when he went through 
    Didn’t he go down then get up again?
  • Options
    I was there with my Dad.
    Remember our fans very loud inside the ground as we waited outside.
    Great memories.

• Options
    Bowie was 40. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Anyone got the third goal anywhere?

I remember Pearson running from the halfway line and everyone stopping because he looked miles off. Then his poor touch made the keeper 60/40 favourite but he stuck out a leg, they both smashed into each other and then he very slowly got up to tap the ball into an empty net and raised his fist to the away end.

Beautiful!
  • Options
    “What happened there, Alvin?”
  • Options
    “What happened there, Alvin?”
    Long silence
  • Options
    Remember the game well, not so much afterwards 🤪🤪
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Off_it said:

I remember Person running from the halfway line and everyone stopping because he looked miles off. Then his poor touch made the keeper 60/40 favourite but he stuck out a leg, they both smashed into each other and then he very slowly got up to tap the ball into an empty net and raised his fist to the away end.

Beautiful!
    I used to have the video of this, surprised I didn’t wear it out. This was a proper away game, used to love our games against WH. 9 second goal and they kicked off. 

These sort of games at bigger clubs were new to most of us. 1st season back in Div 1 for years. Went from losing at places like Barnsley and Rotherham to winning here, Old Trafford and nicking the odd point at places we’d only ever dreamt about playing at.
    Me too. My parents bought a copy from West Ham for me but as they only did it on VHS and we had the one surviving Betamax in South East London my old man got it transferred onto Betamax for me. Only for a few months later for us to get a VHS recorder and so he had to get it transferred again - so the quality was terrible but it was my favourite video ever. 

Still got it in the loft somewhere, but nothing to play it on!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was living within spitting distance of Upton Park back then. Coming from a West Ham family I loved any sort of result against them and went ballistic when we scored from their kick off. We'll, we all did as you can see in the clip.

I had hair then too, happy days!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I remember Person running from the halfway line and everyone stopping because he looked miles off. Then his poor touch made the keeper 60/40 favourite but he stuck out a leg, they both smashed into each other and then he very slowly got up to tap the ball into an empty net and raised his fist to the away end.

Beautiful!
    I used to have the video of this, surprised I didn’t wear it out. This was a proper away game, used to love our games against WH. 9 second goal and they kicked off. 

These sort of games at bigger clubs were new to most of us. 1st season back in Div 1 for years. Went from losing at places like Barnsley and Rotherham to winning here, Old Trafford and nicking the odd point at places we’d only ever dreamt about playing at.
    Me too. My parents bought a copy from West Ham for me but as they only did it on VHS and we had the one surviving Betamax in South East London my old man got it transferred onto Betamax for me. Only for a few months later for us to get a VHS recorder and so he had to get it transferred again - so the quality was terrible but it was my favourite video ever. 

Still got it in the loft somewhere, but nothing to play it on!

Me three! What was it about that video. Sadly I left mine behind in my ex girlfriend's attic. Love both  the commentator and Alvin' Martin's stunned reactions.

Thanks for posting Ross. I'll go to bed tonight with a huge smile on my face for a change.
  • Options
    My Dad was there for that, but wouldn't let me go to the game. Allegedly when Melrose scored, he jumped up and cheered but practically no-one else near him did. Not sure how he managed that.
    @Off_it, if you can dig out the video at some point, I might be able to convert it to mp4, although I make no promises on the quality.
  • Options
    I was there. That away end rocked that day. Loved Jimmy Melrose. 
  • Options
    I too was there. Happy days.
  • Options
    I now realise why @jimmymelrose is so named......it was on his birthday. All 3 of us went (me, Large & Jimmy). 
  • Options
    Brilliant that day, epotomised the team spirit Lennie gave the place despite all that was going on. "First thing I'd do is make sure l had a Scot in my team" or words to that effect. Walsh was imperious, ran the whole game. 
  • Options
    Well what happened there Alvin, made my breakfast complete. 
  • Options
    great away day - 'Arsenal, you are next, Arsenal, Arsenal you are next' - indeed they were and that was the end of our good run
  • Options
    Possibly the most underrated striker we have ever had 
    Still posts on Charlton Life ...... :wink: