Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England given one-match stadium ban following unrest at Euro 2020 final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58418701

England have been ordered to play one match behind closed doors as a punishment for the unrest at Wembley Stadium during the Euro 2020 final.
Uefa also imposed a ban for a second game, which is suspended for two years.

Comments

• Options
    The ban will be in place for England's next home game in a Uefa competition, which will be in the Nations League next June.
  • Options
    It sounds fair enough, but it is a shame for the majority of fans who are decent.
  • Options
    I think that is very lightweight considering it was a major final being beamed all around the world. We have got away with one there.
  • Options
    Hope the scumbags involved are proud of themselves 
  • Options
    I think that is very lightweight considering it was a major final being beamed all around the world. We have got away with one there.
    Agreed, those events were seriously embarrassing
  • Options
    same punishment as imposed on Hungary for persistent racism when England won at their place.

As always, the governing body delivers an interesting level of equivalence...
  • Options
    Hope the scumbags involved are proud of themselves 
    FIFA had little choice but to issue and stadium ban. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Unfortunately, it is deserved.

As mental as the scenes were outside the ground, I don’t recall anything happening during the game or inside the stadium that would have been obvious had you been watching the regular TV coverage. 

Had it been something a bit more ‘in your face’ in terms of the worldwide coverage (ie - the game getting paused), then the penalty could have been worse - no pun intended.

First England final in over 50 years, AND at Wembley Stadium, is a combination that pretty much eclipses anything football wise this country has seen in many of our lifetimes. The occasion felt absolutely enormous in the build up for good reason. 

Throw in the fact it was at the tail end of a pandemic, which only heightened people’s behaviours to go absolutely mental.

It may be on a different scale, but it reminded me a bit of that River Plate/Boca situation in the Copa Libertadores Final a few years ago. A match that was such a one-off, with so much on the line, that it was actually too big of an occasion to go ahead without problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    The real punishment will be not getting a major tournament for a loooong time.
    Yep, say goodbye to 2030 
  • Options
    agree, the real punishment here will be felt when they announce who has won the 2030 WC
  • Options
    Can't see those guilty of the offence being put off by "behind closed doors". They may even see it as a challenge. Then what?