Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robot lawn mowers

Ridiculous? Brilliant? Time-saver? Waste of money? 

Who has got one? Who wants one? Who got buyer's remorse? And what's the best - or worst - one to get? 

Comments

• If you had one trundling around you front garden unattended, what are the chances it wanders off and get run over? 
    Or you set it up in the back garden, head off to work thinking everything is going to look well tended when you get home only, on your return you find it  playing with a cat or asleep in a boarder?
  • Like all technology, you first have to ask what problem you are trying to solve.

A robot lawn mower might be OK if you are physically infirm, bone idle or if you are a high-powered executive who 'doesn't have the time for that sort of thing'.

Otherwise, you can fall back on non-technical solutions ... ie get someone else to cut your grass, pave over your lawn or buy a goat.
  • Blokes got one on the outskirts of our local village. Don't know if you can programme them to only do a certain amount, but his lawn has hardly got any grass left on it. More from the tyres of the mower wearing it away than cutting it, by ghe looks of it
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Like all technology, you first have to ask what problem you are trying to solve.

A robot lawn mower might be OK if you are physically infirm, bone idle or if you are a high-powered executive who 'doesn't have the time for that sort of thing'.

Otherwise, you can fall back on non-technical solutions ... ie get someone else to cut your grass, pave over your lawn or buy a goat.
    I can recommend Guinea pigs as a cheaper and more user friendly alternative. We havent cut our grass all year because our two take care of it. Just put their run in a different place every day and jobs a good un.

Plus their shit is much less offensive and easier to clean up than a goats!
  • Off_it said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Like all technology, you first have to ask what problem you are trying to solve.

I can recommend Guinea pigs as a cheaper and more user friendly alternative. We havent cut our grass all year because our two take care of it. Just put their run in a different place every day and jobs a good un.

Plus their shit is much less offensive and easier to clean up than a goats!

Love it!

I've heard that geese are also useful.

Wait a minute ... robot guinea pigs.  The best of both worlds.
  • We're just not thinking, are we?

Step back and look at the big picture ... we should field eleven robot lawn mowers against Accrington on Tuesday.

I'll give Adkins a call.
  • I'm a traditionalist and mow my lawn frequently as it's the best way to improve it.  However, my next door neighbour has a robot mower and I am impressed so will be investigating further when we move house in the not too distant future - hopefully !
  • MrWalker said:
    I had a robot mower AND Guinea Pigs on one of our lawns. 
    Not for long though, sadly. 
    Did they alope?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hex said:
    I'm a traditionalist and mow my lawn frequently as it's the best way to improve it.  However, my next door neighbour has a robot mower and I am impressed so will be investigating further when we move house in the not too distant future - hopefully !
    Do you know what type or brand your neighbour has?
  • I love my petrol mower and the 20-30 mins it takes me to cut the lawn gives me peace from the wife and kids twice a week.

Shame I havent got a couple of acres to mow :)

Must admit to being lazy though, our gardener trims the edge for me as I cant be faffing with the trimmer or half-moon spade, absolutely kills my back!

• edited October 2021
    I’m rewilding
  • If I got a robot mower then I'd clearly be taking a job away from the wife that she loves so much.

Dont have the heart to tell her we have artifical grass
  • cutting the grass is soooo last century.

I have fully embraced the "meadow" look and can guarantee that is saves a load of time.
  • Stick one in the dugout probably do better than Nige
  • cutting the grass is soooo last century.

I have fully embraced the "meadow" look and can guarantee that is saves a load of time.

• Employ a gardener, you know it makes sense!
  • I recently did some work for a client and they had one in the back garden and I was impressed.

The robot had a charging station on the back of the house and there is a loop installed around the garden in the edge of the lawn to stop the robot crossing it.

The robot can be programmed and he had set up to cut the grass every other day, 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening.

On a set time the robot would trundle out and start cutting the grass, when it reached the edge it would turn and go across the lawn until it reached the next edge etc, etc. 

When it's time was up it would reverse itself back into it's home/charging station ready for the next time.

Handy if you are busy and do not have time to tend to your lawn and there were no clippings. The robot does not have a grass box but because it cuts on a regular basis and the clippings are very fine they are invisible on the lawn. 
  • I recently did some work for a client and they had one in the back garden and I was impressed.

The robot had a charging station on the back of the house and there is a loop installed around the garden in the edge of the lawn to stop the robot crossing it.

The robot can be programmed and he had set up to cut the grass every other day, 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening.

On a set time the robot would trundle out and start cutting the grass, when it reached the edge it would turn and go across the lawn until it reached the next edge etc, etc. 

When it's time was up it would reverse itself back into it's home/charging station ready for the next time.

Handy if you are busy and do not have time to tend to your lawn and there were no clippings. The robot does not have a grass box but because it cuts on a regular basis and the clippings are very fine they are invisible on the lawn. 
    What's the situation if it takes longer than an hour to cut the lawn? Is there a risk that it stops part way through and then, two days later, re-cuts the shorter bit for an hour before stopping again, etc? 
  • Sponsored links:

• This one cost me quite a bit back in the 90’s

not let me down yet. 
  • Stig said:
    I've had a set of Robot Lawn Mowers and had nothing but trouble with them. I'd avoid these: The Jonathan Leko mower just goes round in circles and never gets anywhere. The Pape Souaré mower is always in the wrong place. The control function on the Charlie Kirk mower is completely useless, so it doesn't have a clue what it's supposed to do. The Elliot Lee mower starts out like it's going to do a good job, but inexplicably breaks down.  
    The Nigel Adkins mower covers a lot of ground (mowing’s brilliant) but never gets the job done.
  • Chizz said:
    I recently did some work for a client and they had one in the back garden and I was impressed.

What's the situation if it takes longer than an hour to cut the lawn? Is there a risk that it stops part way through and then, two days later, re-cuts the shorter bit for an hour before stopping again, etc? 
    You program it to suit the lawn size, the guy said to me that he had it so it was cutting every day but after a while it did not need it so he took it back to every other day. His lawn looked amazing.
  • Chizz said:
    Hex said:
    I'm a traditionalist and mow my lawn frequently as it's the best way to improve it.  However, my next door neighbour has a robot mower and I am impressed so will be investigating further when we move house in the not too distant future - hopefully !
    Do you know what type or brand your neighbour has?
    @Chizz It’s a WORX.  Over 4 years old and still going strong.
  • edited October 2021
    Bro in law has one. They have a fair bit of land and his ride on mower died so he needed a new one. Robot mower was cheaper than a new ride on. 

Works in the same way eaststandmike described above. A guy came out to install the docking station and the wire around the boundary. They basically split their land into 4 sections and it goes out twice a day so cuts the lot in 2 days. 

It's the same as a robot vacuum cleaner. 

Hasn't chopped up one of my nephews yet!
  • The bit I don't get is what happens to the clippings.

I understand that the robot only chops off small bits ... but it's doing it repeatedly.  And, at the end of the day, the same amount of grass will grow irrespective of the type of mower.

That means that the lawn is full of (small bits of) dead grass.  This is a bad thing.

Is there a robot scarifier too?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    We're just not thinking, are we?

Step back and look at the big picture ... we should field eleven robot lawn mowers against Accrington on Tuesday.

I'll give Adkins a call.
    If we were playing Burnley away 11 robot mowers might useful as we would be playing at Turf Moor.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    The bit I don't get is what happens to the clippings.

I understand that the robot only chops off small bits ... but it's doing it repeatedly.  And, at the end of the day, the same amount of grass will grow irrespective of the type of mower.

That means that the lawn is full of (small bits of) dead grass.  This is a bad thing.

How I understand it is that a robot mower takes off such small amounts of grass at a time, the resultant mulch can compost very quickly.  Whereas a once-a-week mow with a traditional mower will cut off bigger bits of grass which would take longer to break down.  
  • Chizz said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    The bit I don't get is what happens to the clippings.

How I understand it is that a robot mower takes off such small amounts of grass at a time, the resultant mulch can compost very quickly.  Whereas a once-a-week mow with a traditional mower will cut off bigger bits of grass which would take longer to break down.  
    I cut mine twice a week in the summer, there is know way the grass will break down that quickly and act as a dressing. I know Forest Green use one on their pitch but I bet the groundmen do more work ie rack out the dead leaf. Decent pitches and lawns you can see ground through the grass.
    Also what about the edges? If you have to cut those manually I cant see much point in have a robot doing half a job. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    We're just not thinking, are we?

I'll give Adkins a call.
    If we were playing Burnley away 11 robot mowers might useful as we would be playing at Turf Moor.

We could paint a '6' on one of them ... Bobby Mower.

And Jimmy Strimmer in goal?