Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It was acceptable in the 60s

Not perhaps what you were thinking but I recall the following Charlton related items from the 60s, all of which were commonplace:

1)  Red and white rattles (was the design based on WWII air-raid warning rattles?)
2)  Red and white Charlton rosettes.
3)  Red and white scarfs (just alternate red and white bars - no words emblazoned on).

The thing is - when did these items cease to be seen on a regular basis at The Valley?

I'm guessing that rattles died out by the end of the 60s and, other than special games, rosettes as well?
Plain red and white scarfs may have had a longer currency, certainly into the 70s, and, who knows, perhaps someone still takes their 1960's scarf to games.

Of the above items, 

My rattle went probably to the bin in the 70s after falling apart.
I have a Charlton rosette I think from a game v Crystal Palarse when a special programme was produced as well.
Plus, I still have one red/white 'bar' scarf given to me by a Charlton fan who emigrated to Australia in 1966.
(only problem is it's tucked away somewhere in a box and being pure wool I'm not sure that the moths haven't got to it in the intervening years).

A much rarer item (I think) is a metal Charlton Athletic motorists badge dating from the 60s which was affixed to a car bumper in the same manner as those old AA/RAC members' badges. Mine adorned not a car bumper but the front lighting bar on my Lambretta GT!

Oh yes, and programmes cost six pence in old money (or was it a threepenny bit?) - tell kids that today.....etc....etc

Comments

• The rosettes had a certain smell. Maybe the glue used?
  • The scarf I'm wearing right now is of that sort, except with a Charlton badge at one end. Bought new quite recently 
  • Not perhaps what you were thinking but I recall the following Charlton related items from the 60s, all of which were commonplace:

1)  Red and white rattles (was the design based on WWII air-raid warning rattles?)
    2)  Red and white Charlton rosettes.
    3)  Red and white scarfs (just alternate red and white bars - no words emblazoned on).

The thing is - when did these items cease to be seen on a regular basis at The Valley?

I'm guessing that rattles died out by the end of the 60s and, other than special games, rosettes as well?
    Plain red and white scarfs may have had a longer currency, certainly into the 70s, and, who knows, perhaps someone still takes their 1960's scarf to games.

Of the above items, 

My rattle went probably to the bin in the 70s after falling apart.
    I have a Charlton rosette I think from a game v Crystal Palarse when a special programme was produced as well.
    Plus, I still have one red/white 'bar' scarf given to me by a Charlton fan who emigrated to Australia in 1966.
    (only problem is it's tucked away somewhere in a box and being pure wool I'm not sure that the moths haven't got to it in the intervening years).

A much rarer item (I think) is a metal Charlton Athletic motorists badge dating from the 60s which was affixed to a car bumper in the same manner as those old AA/RAC members' badges. Mine adorned not a car bumper but the front lighting bar on my Lambretta GT!

Oh yes, and programmes cost six pence in old money (or was it a threepenny bit?) - tell kids that today.....etc....etc

Don't forget the scarves our mums knitted.
  • Can only think the rosettes (with pins) and rattles would or could have been used as weapons in the bad old days..also after a certain age they didn't have a "cool" look. 

Cant see any reason why they shouldn't be reintroduced for kids ..might be slightly annoying if you are seated in front of one maybe. 

As for scarves..have a home knitted one from 50 years plus ago 
  • My uncle made me a rattle, which I took to games in the early-mid 70s and swung around on the east terrace.
    Made a hell of a racket.
  • I had a rattle and one game I gave it the full shebang. Only thing is I should have been mindful of my mates head, he did shout.
    Although not acceptable, we also had pirate programmes.
  • Like Treasue Island with Robert Newton as Long John Silver...aaargh Jim lad.
  • edited October 2021
    I got a rattle one Christmas but never took it to a game. Probably because nobody else did at that time, but I did still use it at home for a few seconds every now and again!

I had a rosette with the FA cup and Charlton on it but it never did any good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Silk scarves worn around the wrist 
  • I’ve got a rosette stored away which I bought st CBL as a young lad. If Charlton was playing away and my dad was at work and couldn’t take me a match elsewhere (something else you could do in the 60s which you can’t today - look at the fixtures over breakfast and pick the best game in London that day and go to it) and I’d jump on the bus and go to the Den to watch a match. After one game I bought the Charlton one. Looking back, given we weren’t playing Millwall there must have been a steady market for them at the Den for the rosette seller to display them for sale. Needless to say, it went straight into a pocket and was not worn for all to see, obviously to keep it pristine for wearing at the valley. Pretty sure there must another one stored away from the FM cup at Wembley against Blackburn as we walked down Wembley way to the stadium when one of our number bought a rosette for each of our group that day, probably as a joke because they weren’t all Charlton fans. Not a cheap joke but they weren’t poor blokes and there may have been some alcohol drunk along the way that day. 
  • edited October 2021
    Ah yes, those were the days eh.. small boy's in the park, jumpers for goalposts, rush goalie...Mmmmm Marvelous.. B)

• That nearest rattle by the wall has got the word 'Fed' on the other side.
    That was my donated rattle. 
  • I seem to remember many roselttes had player pictures in the centre, although I cann’t see one in Henry’s picture.
  • Me and my brother collected programmes, rosettes and badges from all the away matches. I still have the red & white college scarf with the badges attached. My bedroom wall was covered in the rosettes. But moving and leaving home they all seem to have disappeared. I do remember giving boxes of programmes to a colleague at work for her son. But I’ve no idea what happened to the rosettes or the rattle. 
  • Can see how the rattles were annoying, but weren't those inflatable clapper sticks handed out a while back? Seen them at the cricket as well but sure they werenat Charlton too.
  • Up and over the wall by the Heights, sometimes had to be on my toes if a steward was posted there. 

• My rattle went probably to the bin in the 70s after falling apart.

That must be the big white square one for the FA Cup 68/69. Massive crowd that day although officially it was given as 32 thousand or something close. Total bullshit much more than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Inherited my rattle from my parents who went to the winning cup final

• That nearest rattle by the wall has got the word 'Fed' on the other side.
    Or 'Fuck'.
  • I started going in 1974. My mum knitted me and my sister a couple of red and white scarves in 1875, and I spent my pocket money one week on a rosette so mid seventies they were still happening, but maybe not cutting edge fashion. Rattles were just something from the past by then.
  • I started going in 1974. My mum knitted me and my sister a couple of red and white scarves in 1875, and I spent my pocket money one week on a rosette so mid seventies they were still happening, but maybe not cutting edge fashion. Rattles were just something from the past by then.
    That’s some foresight, knitting scarves for a club 30 years before they’re formed.