Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Merson: Football, Gambling & Me

12346»

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    There are likely to be exceptions, but all this issue seems very ‘male’.
    Maybe the problem is nothing to do with the gambling firms and organisations, but to do with testosterone.
    Gambling seems to be an addiction that affects males more, but addiction in general is a unisex problem. There are certainly large numbers of women who are addicted to drugs and alcohol just as men are - and I imagine (to use an example admittedly plucked from thin air) you can find women with an addiction to, say, plastic surgery or similar that is less a typically "male" fixation - though again I'm sure there do exist men with this exact addiction too.

I think labelling it as a "male" problem is somewhat missing the wood for the trees. 
    I don’t think I labelled it so much as posed the question.
    If the gambling companies are sincere about the monitoring they do, then they may have percentage figures relating to males/females on this issue.
    There may even be objective research out there regarding gambling specifically, and gender.
    On the face of it, whilst addictions are possibly gender free as such, gambling addiction seems very male to me judging by the cultural images surrounding it.
    Or maybe it is all about wealth imbalance between men and women.
  • has Merson's old mucker Tony Adams had a word ?, has Merson taken advice from the Sporting Chance charity ?
     Merson presumably still makes a good living from Sky Sports. Has he considered having all his earnings handed over to his wife or someone like a trustee to manage his outgoings ?, if not, why not ?
     After decades of problems and the frittering away of millions, why is Merson still allowed to be in charge of his finances, that is if he still is.  I haven't yet seen the programme so don't know if any of my questions were answered
    His current (and 3rd) wife has taken over the finances and gives him pocket money after he blew all of their savings during lockdown. He admits that it's like being treated like a child but recognises that this is the only way he's going to get through things day by day.
  • has Merson's old mucker Tony Adams had a word ?, has Merson taken advice from the Sporting Chance charity ?
     Merson presumably still makes a good living from Sky Sports. Has he considered having all his earnings handed over to his wife or someone like a trustee to manage his outgoings ?, if not, why not ?
     After decades of problems and the frittering away of millions, why is Merson still allowed to be in charge of his finances, that is if he still is.  I haven't yet seen the programme so don't know if any of my questions were answered
    His current (and 3rd) wife has taken over the finances and gives him pocket money after he blew all of their savings during lockdown. He admits that it's like being treated like a child but recognises that this is the only way he's going to get through things day by day.
    thanks for that .. he's been acting like a child for years and it's good that he now recognises it  
  • seth plum said:
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    There are likely to be exceptions, but all this issue seems very ‘male’.
    Maybe the problem is nothing to do with the gambling firms and organisations, but to do with testosterone.
    Gambling seems to be an addiction that affects males more, but addiction in general is a unisex problem. There are certainly large numbers of women who are addicted to drugs and alcohol just as men are - and I imagine (to use an example admittedly plucked from thin air) you can find women with an addiction to, say, plastic surgery or similar that is less a typically "male" fixation - though again I'm sure there do exist men with this exact addiction too.

I think labelling it as a "male" problem is somewhat missing the wood for the trees. 
    I don’t think I labelled it so much as posed the question.
    If the gambling companies are sincere about the monitoring they do, then they may have percentage figures relating to males/females on this issue.
    There may even be objective research out there regarding gambling specifically, and gender.
    On the face of it, whilst addictions are possibly gender free as such, gambling addiction seems very male to me judging by the cultural images surrounding it.
    Or maybe it is all about wealth imbalance between men and women.
    That's fair but I don't think it actually matters. A problem gambler is a problem gambler regardless of gender and I would imagine more gamblers (problematic or otherwise) are male anyway.

Them being male does not actually play into it beyond the adverts' choice of language and imagery etc BUT that's true of advertising for literally everything. 
    Merson is living in rented accommodation, I'd assume he does not have much behind him.
  • I though all footballers had 10% of wages automatically put into a pension pot with the PFA 
    Merson is living in rented accommodation, I'd assume he does not have much behind him.
    But probably not a two two down!

He is no doubt paid well for his TV work and his book. 

Relatively lost a lot but there are a lot worse off than him who have similar addictions I imagine. 

Relatively lost a lot but there are a lot worse off than him who have similar addictions I imagine. 

7 across - promiscuous ballet dancer
  • Sponsored links:

The place he was in looked tiny of TV. Maybe in an expensive part of town part looked cramped.
  • I would imagine that any money coming in flowed straight out until his missus took care of the finances.

There are clips of his property, you'll be shocked.

He's lost over 7m apparently and during the last lockdown he blew any remaining savings he had. So whilst i'm sure there are many who are worse off, he's hardly doing well.

It made me think that when they had that clear out on Soccer saturday and got rid of Thompson, Nicholas and Le Tissier, and Merson was the only one to survive, that did they keep him simply because they knew that without the job it might be the end of him?

He's lost over 7m apparently and during the last lockdown he blew any remaining savings he had. So whilst i'm sure there are many who are worse off, he's hardly doing well.

It made me think that when they had that clear out on Soccer saturday and got rid of Thompson, Nicholas and Le Tissier, and Merson was the only one to survive, that did they keep him simply because they knew that without the job it might be the end of him?
    Probably a fair observation that it may have been a consideration.

Regardless hopefully he can use his continued employment to repair at least some of his financial damage whilst he can.

Maybe, but also Nicholas and Thompson are that bit older, and Le Tissier has turned into a Covid conspiracy spouter, so the easiest thing to do was get rid of him too at the end of his contract.
  • Watched the documentary yesterday and found it really harrowing. Stuff like 60% of bookies profits coming from problem gamblers and people placing tons of deposits a day before finally killing themselves was tough to hear. Merson’s honesty was really sobering, literally saying he doesn’t have another recovery in him - and it sounding completely genuine - was brutal. 

I’m not a massive gambler, bet every now and then and only small amounts, but I have to say I’m put off engaging with the industry a little after watching that. 
  • I fear for Mers after watching that.
    He clearly loves his wife and children, but at one point he appeared to suggest that the mundanity of his daily routine was unfulfilling until his wife pointed out that this was the reality of family life.
    Despite the stresses and demands, the real joy of life can be found in family life.
    If that isn't enough for him I worry that at some point he will eventually cave in to his cravings.
    He has the support of family and friends, I genuinely hope he finds the strength to endure.
  • Article here for those who haven't the time to watch the programme.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58859342
  • I watched the program and it wasn't a glowing advert for betting companies. They make huge profits off the backs of the vulnerable - you can lose a staggering amount in a short time.

If it's so well regulated as some keep claiming I don't see how this happens? It just seems like feeding a drug habit for those addicted to it.

Hearing the story of several suicides on the program was pretty harrowing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having had a whole to think about this programme and as much as my heart really went out to Paul Merson and those who had lost people to suicide because of gambling addictions the black and white view is betting companies are legal, they operate legally within the law but their practices of chasing down these gamblers is ethically and morally bankrupt. I said earlier the slogan is a waste of time and it clearly is. My only slightly harsh view is how little people take personal responsibility for their problems (not everyone I know), granted these companies are waving incentives left right and centre under their nose which can't help and the amount of advertising money they must generate for tv is huge so I doubt the appetite is there to hinder them like the way booze and cigarettes were banned from advertising 

• Carter said:
    Having had a whole to think about this programme and as much as my heart really went out to Paul Merson and those who had lost people to suicide because of gambling addictions the black and white view is betting companies are legal, they operate legally within the law but their practices of chasing down these gamblers is ethically and morally bankrupt. I said earlier the slogan is a waste of time and it clearly is. My only slightly harsh view is how little people take personal responsibility for their problems (not everyone I know), granted these companies are waving incentives left right and centre under their nose which can't help and the amount of advertising money they must generate for tv is huge so I doubt the appetite is there to hinder them like the way booze and cigarettes were banned from advertising 

Alcohol advertising has not been banned from TV advertising (some of the best TV adverts are for alcohol - see Guinness). They are restricted from advertising in programmes that are likely to attract an audience under the age of 18...
  • Addiction is very clever and it’s real.  Personally I don’t understand gambling addicts although I gamble about £20 each Saturday and see it as fun. But I understand addiction a lot and I’ll tell you what it isn’t anyone’s fault or responsibility other than the addict. I’ve got friends who are 12 years clean and can happily stand in pubs for hours not drinking but they had to go through years of hard graft to get there. They reached their “bottom” and asked for help.it’s very simple and bloody hard at the same time recovery.

good luck to anyone trying I say. Just for today. 
  • se9addick said:
    Watched the documentary yesterday and found it really harrowing. Stuff like 60% of bookies profits coming from problem gamblers and people placing tons of deposits a day before finally killing themselves was tough to hear. Merson’s honesty was really sobering, literally saying he doesn’t have another recovery in him - and it sounding completely genuine - was brutal. 

I’m not a massive gambler, bet every now and then and only small amounts, but I have to say I’m put off engaging with the industry a little after watching that. 
    I must say I feel the same way. I am not a big gambler but like to make a small bet on some games to increase the interest. I briefly pondered doing so last night, and probably would have, but the programme put me off for the reason you gave.
  • Great documentary and it's an eye opener.

Paul had a lot of courage to do it