Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    edited April 28
    I watched the Mayor of London 1 hour TV debate this week.
    Khan smirked and smiled throughout.
    Whether you support or oppose Khan, I was staggered by his arrogance. 
    It was one of the worst debates I've ever seen, far too short (only one hour) and lots of interruptions.

Khan is doing a good job, even rival Count Binface agrees. Attacking his house building record is insanity. Do these people not live in London?

Susan Hall makes Liz Truss look like Albert Einstein. If Khan was just upsetting the right people the Tories would have put a proper candidate in.

Although I do agree with everything else you said, there are no proper candidates. They're completely washed. All the talent in the pool has gone, if they're that much of a shambles nationally they can't spare a decent politician for London.

Khan definitely plays the windup game, it's what he should be doing to win anyway to be honest because it works. 
  • Options
    Susan Hall believes leave (the EU) is right, Sadiq Khan wants to find a way of repairing the appalling damage done by leaving.
    From my point of view that clinches it. One who believes in destruction, one who believe in constructing.
    Literally one minute walk from my place used to live Ella Kissi Debra who died from traffic pollution. Susan Hall is relaxed about the deaths and illness caused in children by traffic pollution, she has not suggested anything to help those children because money means more to her and her type.
    Sadiq Khan is trying to help in this regard despite the political capital he is spending, and the risks he takes opening up a line of attack from those racists who hate him because of his background.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    It was one of the worst debates I've ever seen, far too short (only one hour) and lots of interruptions.

Khan is doing a good job, even rival Count Binface agrees. Attacking his house building record is insanity. Do these people not live in London?

Susan Hall makes Liz Truss look like Albert Einstein. If Khan was just upsetting the right people the Tories would have put a proper candidate in.

Although I do agree with everything else you said, there are no proper candidates. They're completely washed. All the talent in the pool has gone, if they're that much of a shambles nationally they can't spare a decent politician for London.

Khan definitely plays the windup game, it's what he should be doing to win anyway to be honest because it works. 

You make a good point, but it can't be that washed that Susan Hall is an option?!
  • Options
    I agree. Think he is following a tactic of say very little because the other candidates are so weak / uninspiring and don’t risk saying something that he can be criticised  for. 
  • Options
    Khan is mediocre in my view. But Susan Hall must be one of the worst candidates I've ever seen, showing the Tories have written off London. As the old preference system has been abolished by the Govt, don't feel I have any choice but to vote for Khan
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Think Khan is doing a good job in difficult circumstances. 
    I’m slightly biased in that I live quite near the South circular, so air quality is important to me and my family. 
    And fair play to Boris who I believe implemented the original ULEZ. 
    I also don’t see ULEZ as a vote loser. Much of the anti ULEZ rhetoric on social media has always come from people who live outside London, and now we find out that many of the anti ULEZ Facebook groups were set up by people working for Tory central HQ. I certainly won’t be voting for any of the candidates whose central policy is to make our air worse. 
    I don’t think it would now make our air worse though given it’s been in play in inner London for so long and the predicted benefit for outer London is marginal. 

I still await the detailed analysis on compliance. 
    How many fines issued , how many paid, how many are repeat offenders, how many are for vehicles registered well away from London? I think that will tell us quite a lot about the behaviour of drivers of older cars. I don’t really know why it’s not already published to be honest. Technology now allows such data to be analysed more or less instantly and I’d expect the measures to have been designed sone time ago (pre implementation). 
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Not sure I buy into this thing about Susan Hall being a political outlier tbh. On the subject of ULEZ she's been very happy to overtly perpetuate a pack of lies she knows to be untrue, whilst who knows what's been circulating away from any sort of public scrutiny via these astroturf accounts. 

On top of other elements of her character she seems very 'on brand' for her party. 
  • Options
    Shaun Bailey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Bailey,_Baron_Bailey_of_Paddington

Was the previous Tory candidate for Mayor, now (FFS) he is Baron Bailey of Paddington.

Good gig that eh Susan (who stole the purse I dropped?) Hall? Fail in the election but get made Lady Hall of Hounslow or wherever and have a paid job (attendance allowance) doing sfa for life.

• Options
    Not sure I buy into this thing about Susan Hall being a political outlier tbh. On the subject of ULEZ she's been very happy to overtly perpetuate a pack of lies she knows to be untrue, whilst who knows what's been circulating away from any sort of public scrutiny via these astroturf accounts. 

In top of other elements of her character she seems very on brand for her party. 
    I frequently see Twitter (X) posts perpetuating the lies and supporting her. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

News from Lib Dem candidate - what's not to like?;

Rob Blackie is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London - with a plan to fix the Met.

Coming home from work one night, Rob was violently mugged. NHS surgeons gave Rob a new titanium neck, but the muggers were never caught.

Rob believes the fundamental job of government is to provide security for ordinary people. So he was horrified to hear police officers say the sexual offences detection rate is so low 'you may as well say it's legal in London'

Rob will get the Met focused on convicting violent offenders and rapists, instead of stop and search.

Like many Londoners, Rob feels let down after 8 years of Sadiq Khan. It's time for a change.

As Liberal Democrat Mayor, I will focus on:

• Improving public transport in Outer London
    • Prioritise accessibility and safety across the network
    • Making ULEZ more fair
    • Driving efficiency, improving reliability and cutting journey times
  • Options

On top of other elements of her character she seems very 'on brand' for her party. 
    What has she claimed about ULEZ which is untrue out of interest?
  • Options

In top of other elements of her character she seems very on brand for her party. 
    I'm concerned that their may be enough cranks eligible to vote that she could have a chance.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6WXs63NVHM/?igsh=b3A3MWkzZmVueHBt
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Shaun Bailey

Was the previous Tory candidate for Mayor, now (FFS) he is Baron Bailey of Paddington.

Good gig that eh Susan (who stole the purse I dropped?) Hall? Fail in the election but get made Lady Hall of Hounslow or wherever and have a paid job (attendance allowance) doing sfa for life.

For every Baron Bailey there is a Lord Kinnock. 
  • Options

I'm concerned that their may be enough cranks eligible to vote that she could have a chance.

Are more cranks eligible this time compared to last then?
  • Options

So much of that is bot accounts I think. I thought I was losing my mind with how much of an anti Khan echo chamber my X feed had become, but I started paying attention to who was replying to the tweets and its all 'Firstname Lotsofnumbers' with no profile pic
  • Options

the move to FPTP from PR voting gives her a much better chance than she would have previously had
  • Options
    Croydon said:

the move to FPTP from PR voting gives her a much better chance than she would have previously had
    But no more cranks however. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    Shaun Bailey

That is an absolutely laughable comparison
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    Shaun Bailey

That is an absolutely laughable comparison
    Why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Her whole campaign is built around it, as I'm sure you know. But the constant repeating by her and her campaign of the (non-existent) plans from Khan to introduce pay-per-mile charging eventually resulted in a complaint to the CPS. So there's that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyxe8vr580no.amp
  • Options

Her whole campaign is built around it, as I'm sure you know. But the constant repeating by her and her campaign of the (non-existent) plans from Khan to introduce pay-per-mile charging eventually resulted in a complaint to the CPS. So there's that.

To be clear I’m not a fan of her or her campaign. Indeed I think all the candidates are poor. 

BUT to your point I think you are saying the only lie in ULEZ is about pay per mile ?

Further though I thought several posters on here with inside knowledge of TFL have advised there was and is feasibility studies underway so not sure what the lie actually is?
  • Options
    He confirmed that there are feasibility studies.
    The lie (dependant on whose side you're on) is that this week he has denied he will introduce it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Her latest lie is to say she proposed free school meals before Sadiq. But then loads of clips of her saying it was a bad idea and ‘there’s no such thing as a free lunch’. 
    It’s extraordinary how since Donald Trump lying seems to have become acceptable. 
    But the post said lies about ULEZ. 

The other points are of interest and I agree make her look foolish. 
  • Options

She wants to scrap it. That’s all you need to know. Will she also end the smoking ban and make seatbelt wearing optional?
    If she wins this election it’ll be a sign that world has finally gone bonkers. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

She wants to scrap it. That’s all you need to know. Will she also end the smoking ban and make seatbelt wearing optional?
    If she wins this election it’ll be a sign that world has finally gone bonkers. 
    Eh?

My question was what lie did she make about ULEZ. 

I’m not aware what has been inaccurate. 

For the record she wants to scrap the latest outer London extension as I understand it not all of it. Your reference to smoking and seat belts is some leap !
  • Options
    edited April 29

To be clear I’m not a fan of her or her campaign. Indeed I think all the candidates are poor. 

BUT to your point I think you are saying the only lie in ULEZ is about pay per mile ?

Further though I thought several posters on here with inside knowledge of TFL have advised there was and is feasibility studies underway so not sure what the lie actually is?
    I think when you repeat the same lie over and over and over again you're getting into semantics suggesting it's not a pattern of dishonesty tbh. If your political opponent takes the (highly unusual) step of reporting the matter for investigation I suspect that any justification for the claim having any proper basis in fact, is thin. To say the least.

But, despite Khan's unequivocal and frequent denial of the lie, it clearly cuts through with some of the electorate. So it's job done for her campaign I suppose but we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's even a lie.
  • Options

I think when you repeat the same lie over and over and over again you're getting into semantics suggesting it's not a pattern of dishonesty tbh. If your political opponent take the (highly unusual) step of reporting the matter for investigation I suspect that any justification for the claim having any proper basis in fact is thin. To say the least.

But, despite Khan's unequivocal and frequent denial of the lie, it clearly cuts through with some of the electorate. So it's job done for her campaign I suppose but we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's even a lie.
    I think we may be at crossed purposes I thought Khan had confirmed he did have a feasibility study under way?

Perhaps its precise wording we are debating in that he might say it’s not a pre determined outcome ?
  • Options

I think when you repeat the same lie over and over and over again you're getting into semantics suggesting it's not a pattern of dishonesty tbh. If your political opponent take the (highly unusual) step of reporting the matter for investigation I suspect that any justification for the claim having any proper basis in fact is thin. To say the least.

I think we may be at crossed purposes I thought Khan had confirmed he did have a feasibility study under way?

Perhaps its precise wording we are debating in that he might say it’s not a pre determined outcome ?

in any event isn’t the ‘complaint’ in that article about the style of the leaflet as required by electoral law and not the messages/ points being made?