Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I live just on the ULEZ side of the South Circ very close to where young Ella who died of traffic pollution lived.
    I am looking forward to the ULEZ extension even though it was ordered by a Tory government, because long queues of polluting vehicles 150 meters from my home is not particularly nice.
    I don’t know if there was an inner London scrap your vehicle scheme when our first ULEZ was brought in but the population of the inner London ULEZ area is large and as far as I can tell it has not devastated our community, and certainly would not be a policy issue that would swing an election in Lewisham East.
    This is the contradiction though. Doesn’t Khan claim  9 in 10 cars on the road are compliant so will you see / notice the difference? Queues won’t be less necessarily. 

My specific problem is the long queues 150 meters away have loads of diesel vehicles. Until August at any rate.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I live just on the ULEZ side of the South Circ very close to where young Ella who died of traffic pollution lived.
    I am looking forward to the ULEZ extension even though it was ordered by a Tory government, because long queues of polluting vehicles 150 meters from my home is not particularly nice.
    I don’t know if there was an inner London scrap your vehicle scheme when our first ULEZ was brought in but the population of the inner London ULEZ area is large and as far as I can tell it has not devastated our community, and certainly would not be a policy issue that would swing an election in Lewisham East.
    This is the contradiction though. Doesn’t Khan claim  9 in 10 cars on the road are compliant so will you see / notice the difference? Queues won’t be less necessarily. 

My specific problem is the long queues 150 meters away have loads of diesel vehicles. Until August at any rate.
    But if 9 in 10 are compliant you may not see any obvious reduction. Diesel is compliant if more recently manufactured. Not all diesel are ‘bad’. 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    For now perhaps but what happens when the goalposts inevitably move and 2006 as the current parameter moves on maybe a rolling year so 2006 one year, 2007 next year etc as will no doubt happen.

Khan's 9 in 10 claim will then not stack up.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    For now perhaps but what happens when the goalposts inevitably move and 2006 as the current parameter moves on maybe a rolling year so 2006 one year, 2007 next year etc as will no doubt happen.

Hopefully that won’t happen frequently as more linked to car industry standards and the industry wholesale migration to EV in time. 
  • Options
    I think he is saying that 9 out of 10 vehicles are compliant are the ones within the ULEZ AREA he is hoping that the the vehicles from out side the area are the ones that will pay the fee. I friend of mine has bought a cpmpliant car which he parks over night in Dartford, and uses his Non-compliant SUV from his home address to Dartford approx 45miles. 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    I think he is saying that 9 out of 10 vehicles are compliant are the ones within the ULEZ AREA he is hoping that the the vehicles from out side the area are the ones that will pay the fee. I friend of mine has bought a cpmpliant car which he parks over night in Dartford, and uses his Non-compliant SUV from his home address to Dartford approx 45miles. 
    I understood it to be 9 out of 10 of total road usage are compliant. But less transparent if that is the same for cars registered to addresses inside the zone. 
  • Options
    They are based on vehicles detected by live cameras in for one month (November 2022) local traffic movements using roads that did not have cameras were not included.

The last paragraph says it all.

In the lead up to ULEZ expansion London-wide from 29 August 2023, we are continuing to monitor compliance rates in outer London. The data for outer London (in November 2022) shows that 9 out of 10 cars seen driving on an average day meet the ULEZ emissions standards, so their drivers will not need to pay the ULEZ daily charge or take any action ahead of the London-wide ULEZ expansion.

Daily average total number of cars detected in outer London, November 2022 Daily average number of compliant cars detected in outer London, November 2022 Daily average number of non-compliant cars detected in outer London, November 2022 Proportion of cars that are compliant with ULEZ detected in outer London, November 2022 (total detected/compliant detected)
    779,520 701,640 77,880 90.0%

The Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR) reviewed the Mayor's statement that "nine in 10 cars seen driving in outer London on an average day meet ULEZ standards" and found that it was supported by data collected by TfL at the time.

Additional cameras are now being installed in outer London in preparation for the launch of the ULEZ expansion. Data from these cameras will be analysed over the coming months. The compliance rate of vehicles registered to addresses within inner, central and outer London has been lower than the compliance rate of observed vehicles in each of those zones.

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66351785

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has ordered a review of low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs) in England, saying that he is on the side of drivers.

Someone has told him, it might win him so votes, can't be a problem for him as he uses helicopters most of the time.
    LTNs brought in by Tory government. Fantastic stuff. Clearly this is going to be a big talking point for the next election but it is genuinely baffling.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66351785

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has ordered a review of low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs) in England, saying that he is on the side of drivers.

Someone has told him, it might win him so votes, can't be a problem for him as he uses helicopters most of the time.
    LTNs brought in by Tory government. Fantastic stuff. Clearly this is going to be a big talking point for the next election but it is genuinely baffling.
    I mean, it’s not there isn’t a democratic local mechanism to change these, but for Sunak, people in Sevenoaks/Stevenage can’t vote for the council in Lewisham, so he has to impose from the top.

likewise Starmer with Khan 

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1685570045483614208?s=46
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Hopefully that won’t happen frequently as more linked to car industry standards and the industry wholesale migration to EV in time. 
    It'll happen whenever Khan or whoever is the Mayor decides there's a black hole in TFL finances, this is what it all boils down to and an annual rolling year would probably be the easiest solution to implement whoever the Mayor is.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It'll happen whenever Khan or whoever is the Mayor decides there's a black hole in TFL finances, this is what it all boils down to and an annual rolling year would probably be the easiest solution to implement whoever the Mayor is.
    There’s a hole in TfL budget until a government returns to a central grant, which Johnson as mayor thought was a wheeze to get rid of. 

The TfL budget isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be now it has revenue and the Elizabeth line printing money 
  • Options
    And we put up with these politicians.
     Are they taking the p!ss?
    Sunak is smelling blood ,Keir is that worried his having a word with Sadiq.
    I'm delighted to tell you I will never vote for either of these 2 parties.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Vote green.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:

There’s a hole in TfL budget until a government returns to a central grant, which Johnson as mayor thought was a wheeze to get rid of. 

The TfL budget isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be now it has revenue and the Elizabeth line printing money 
    Much of the Elizabeth line is people migrating to it from other routes / means. This was I understand always forecast. 

Bit of an exaggeration to say printing money but I get the point. 

But it is true the financial position will change in line with working from home declining / volumes returning to pre covid. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Vote green.
    Ask the people of Brighton how they feel about that!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Vote green.
    I'd like to vote, none of the above.
  • Options
    Well I never knew about the new superloop buses due to come in
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Vote green.
    Ask the people of Brighton how they feel about that!
    Probably quite happy seeing as they've voted Green in since 2010 with a growing majority every general election 
    Try looking at the recent council results.

The Green MPs have no real power. But when the local council was run by the greens, the good people of Brighton soon said no thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw I saw somebody saying they were surprised to discover that their 2004 Honda Jazz was compliant. 
    A 2004 Honda Jazz will set you back about £1,500 -  so if your current vehicle isn’t compliant you could flog it and buy a Jazz for £1500 minus what you get for your car. 
    That’s much cheaper long term than paying the £12.50 daily charge. You could be quids in after about three or four months. Plus the car may be more fuel efficient than your previous one, and less polluting of course. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    This is why I fucking hate these expensively educated, privileged but amazingly thick politicians. 20mph roads are sensible, they absolutely improve safety. If he came out and said "I'm keeping all the traffic/road/motoring laws as they are and I'm going to recruit enable the police to be proactive in dealing with driving offences" id nod approvingly but these morons just can't help themselves by immediately leaving to the most extreme end of the spectrum they can and it has the added benefit of not costing what policing our roads properly does, they just bang up more GATSOs 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:

So my journey from Romford to Stratford  that has not changed one iota by getting on an Elizabeth Line train rather than an Anglian train is counted as a win for Elizabeth line and is printing money ?

Elizabeth line has just cannibalised other journeys 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I saw I saw somebody saying they were surprised to discover that their 2004 Honda Jazz was compliant. 
    A 2004 Honda Jazz will set you back about £1,500 -  so if your current vehicle isn’t compliant you could flog it and buy a Jazz for £1500 minus what you get for your car. 
    That’s much cheaper long term than paying the £12.50 daily charge. You could be quids in after about three or four months. Plus the car may be more fuel efficient than your previous one, and less polluting of course. 

So a family of four,  just about making ends meat and who need a safe reliable car with a bit of warranty on it, in order to ferry the kids about etc, should replace it with a 19 year old car that scrapes the MOT every year and squeeze the family in that instead? How very liberal.....

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the ULEZ expansion, personally find suggestions like that a tad condescending.
    Only talking about when the Jazz is an upgrade. Which it can be. 
    If people have a decent relatively recent car under warranty (how long do they last?) that isn’t compliant, then it’d have a decent second had value, so they could afford to swap it for something compliant, surely. It’s a pain to have to so, sure, but there are upsides imho. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Apparently ULEZ compliant cars are selling for more than £3k to the similar model that isn’t, it was reported on the bbc news this morning.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:

So a family of four,  just about making ends meat and who need a safe reliable car with a bit of warranty on it, in order to ferry the kids about etc, should replace it with a 19 year old car that scrapes the MOT every year and squeeze the family in that instead? How very liberal.....

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the ULEZ expansion, personally find suggestions like that a tad condescending.
    It's probably a decent solution for some people. Seems harsh to call it condescending when he's just trying to help.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:

Most car companies offer warranties of up to 3 years. Those cars aren’t going to be non-compliant anyway, so not an issue. Happy for you to have a look into that though @Gribbo   😉