Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just a little electrical advice please

I’ve bought a new electric fire insert to replace the one set in the recess. The existing one has a power cable (like a tv) and this runs through the wall, behind the fireplace and out again to the plug socket. Unfortunately the new one has a normal 3 pin plug and a lead that is “wired in” otherwise I’d just use the existing one. Is there some sort of adapter I can buy or can I chop off the ends and join the wires in a junction box?
any help appreciated 

Comments

• Options
    You'd be better running a new socket behind the fire in the recess (and fitting a fused spur)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    You'd be better running a new socket behind the fire in the recess (and fitting a fused spur)
    You'd be better returning the fire & exchanging for one that doesn't have a fixed/moulded plug. 

School boy error.
  • Options
    You can chop it off and join/ put on a new plug.

However, be aware that this may affect warranties and such like. I've heard similar with TV's
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

This.
  • Options
    Cheers guys
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    You'd be better returning the fire & exchanging for one that doesn't have a fixed/moulded plug. 

School boy error.

All electrical appliances like this have been required to have a factory fitted/moulded plug for many, many years - bloody EU bureaucrats stopping us killing ourselves.

Thankfully we can now go back to relying on people remembering that brown = bottom right, etc. Just need to remember which way up to hold the plug now...🤔
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

School boy error.

All electrical appliances like this have been required to have a factory fitted/moulded plug for many, many years - bloody EU bureaucrats stopping us killing ourselves.

Thankfully we can now go back to relying on people remembering that brown = bottom right, etc. Just need to remember which way up to hold the plug now...🤔
    See, thats the problem with burocrats, they see a minor problem (someone mis-wiring a plug) and change the whole system.