Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players who would have fit Curb's Charlton

As Curbs often says he factored in temperament and character in equal measure, if not more, as skill and ability.

Listened to the Kevin Campbell (Jambell if you've heard it) episodes on the excellent Undr the Cosh podcast and he came across as a top bloke.  Always thought he was pretty underrated too and has the accolade of most premier league goals for an English player not to get a full cap.  

Wonder if we ever looked at signing him as he would have been a great player in a Curbishley side I reckon.

Must be loads more players like that and would be interested to know who was on AC's radar during his tenure..

Comments

• edited September 2021
    It’s quite hard to whittle down, as he managed so many different players in his time with us.

Ranging from the likes of Paulo Di Canio to Eddie Youds, and everything in between.

Therefore I think the question would be pretty easily answered by just throwing out any names that were mid-level Premier League or upper Championship at any given time.
  • Darren Purse was the big one that got away ...... time after time!
  • Matt Holland said on Charlton TV recently we were low maintenance when taking to Scott Minto.  The team that beat Chelsea and put 4 past them were players who got the maximum from their abilities: Jason Euell was a great pro who like all that team had weaknesses, but they blended so well.
    Deano came from Bury and had worked on the Motorways doing Manual work until he got a contract at Bury and then turned into a Premier keeper at Cafc. Young was allowed to leave Spurs, for a few million but was a steady Eddie in the Premier. Richard Rufus despite have an odd style of kicking the ball was effective and prayed a lot in those days before becoming a financial advisor ! 
    (Richard was in the earlier team)        

The star of that group of players was Scott Parker, unfortunately for Cafc, because he was the MOM most weeks and his burning ambition took him to Chelsea, where instead of being the star of the show he was the understudy. 

Andy Todd was a strange signing by Curbs as he had form for violence against Phil Brown who was assistant manager at  Bolton.
    Dean Kiely can vouch for this when Todd was at Charlton. 

Knowing what character and personality someone has under pressure appears to being lost in the data age of stats.

• Obviously missing out on Tim Cahill was a blow as was Flamini and to a lesser extent Ketzman. 

We did better getting up and coming players so I was surprised we never went in for Jenas and Dawson when at Forest who were Championship at the time. 
  • Matt Holland said on Charlton TV recently we were low maintenance when taking to Scott Minto.  The team that beat Chelsea and put 4 past them were players who got the maximum from their abilities: Jason Euell was a great pro who like all that team had weaknesses, but they blended so well.
    Deano came from Bury and had worked on the Motorways doing Manual work until he got a contract at Bury and then turned into a Premier keeper at Cafc. Young was allowed to leave Spurs, for a few million but was a steady Eddie in the Premier. Richard Rufus despite have an odd style of kicking the ball was effective and prayed a lot in those days before becoming a financial advisor ! 
    (Richard was in the earlier team)        

The star of that group of players was Scott Parker, unfortunately for Cafc, because he was the MOM most weeks and his burning ambition took him to Chelsea, where instead of being the star of the show he was the understudy. 

Andy Todd was a strange signing by Curbs as he had form for violence against Phil Brown who was assistant manager at  Bolton.
    Dean Kiely can vouch for this when Todd was at Charlton. 

Knowing what character and personality someone has under pressure appears to being lost in the data age of stats.

Matt's kit washing was certainly low maintenance.
  • I remember thinking when Boro signed Riggott and Christie from Derby they'd have been very Chartlon-like signings.

Then they weren't great so glad we didn't go for it!
  • edited October 2021
    We also signed players who had performed well against us specifically;

Claus Jensen and Mark Fish come to mind (both brilliant for Bolton in the FA Cup Quarter Final). 
  • Obviously missing out on Tim Cahill was a blow as was Flamini and to a lesser extent Ketzman. 

We did better getting up and coming players so I was surprised we never went in for Jenas and Dawson when at Forest who were Championship at the time. 
    I was under the impression Dawson was on our radar but was just too expensive. I think him and Andy Reid went for about £8m together, which was more than we spent on all our signings that season. Would have been a very Charlton signing if he'd been cheaper though. Jenas went for £5m in 2002 as well, which made him the second most expensive teenager ever in British football at the time. We spent nearly that on Euell that season, and that's still the most we've spent on anyone ever. We were often priced out of transfers in the Premier League. Chris Bart-Williams was the standard of player we could afford to get from Forest then.