Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A CEO

With the organisation in its worst position since records began, is it wise to have a partially present CEO,who knows little about the industry responsible for the top to bottom operation of the club.?

TS needs to admit he requires help. I love his enthusiasm we are in the shit big time. It can't continue.

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Think he needs a football manager to start with
     Quite. But he needs help with that to.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    TS did hire our current manager. What makes anyone think his next appointment will be any better? If so on what basis is this belief based? I think we need a CEO who knows the ins and outs of English Football. In the end the buck... and our current predicament... stops with him. Admitting he is not well positioned to run operations and make football decisions would be a good start.
  • Options
    Yes we need a full time CEO but not having one is not the reason why we are so abysmal on the pitch 
  • Options
    Our Senior Pros can afford for this to fail while in the last year of their contract.
  • Options
    How will this help the team???
  • Options
    I'm not sure a CEO is going to help one little bit. The only way it would is if that CEO was given Autonomy in the role. I don't see that happening, TS calls the shots, so any new CEO is going to be playing to his tune anyway.

I've worked in places like that where the Owner is effectively 100% in charge, it very rarely works having someone else in charge under them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Rothko said:
    It’s something that will happen, but people really need to stop thinking it’s the silver bullet that will stop the midfield going awol
    Agree but it's the sum of all parts.

I think even the most positive of posters might in retrospect think that the initial optimism of the last minute signings may have papered over the fact that it was last minute dealing rather than a well thought out and executed strategy.

Thing is from what I've read on here significant money has been spent so it was either spent too late (unavailable earlier on) or has been mispent.  Of the new signings none of them seem like players who are both fit enough for 90 minutes in consecutive games and the players to take us forward and upwards over next few seasons.

Adkins is not good enough but it's been made clear his input on recruitment is limited and therefore it is the responsibility of those at the top.

I think it's a case of inexperience and limited capability from top to bottom at the moment. 

Getting an experienced football CEO in to get us on the track for a couple of years whilst Sandgaard learns the game would probably be a useful move.
  • Options
    I do wonder how Roddy affects us daily 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don’t, because he doesn’t pick the team or do the training, he’s a very easy scapegoat to project anything onto
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Rothko said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don’t, because he doesn’t pick the team or do the training, he’s a very easy scapegoat to project anything onto
    But isn’t he the strategist, the one responsible for playing the ‘Charlton way’, the path to the first team, involvement in player recruitment? Still early days on how that will pan out but it’s not going too well at the moment is it 😞.
  • Options
    Gallen said himself that ultimately the final say on transfers come from the owner. On that basis I should think any other club related big decisions and outlays, also have to be signed off by the owner.
    That's fine. But when your owner is halfway around the world and also running another large organisation at the same time would it not be a good idea to appoint someone with good experience of running a football organisation the authority to make those decisions quickly? Someone who is boots on the ground and has a constant live picture of what is going on from top to bottom.

• Options
    The Chairman is the owner of the ship and the CEO would be the Captain of the ship. The Manager of the team would be like the Boss of the engine room. The successful running of a football club goes beyond the leading of the team itself. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm not sure a CEO is going to help one little bit. The only way it would is if that CEO was given Autonomy in the role. I don't see that happening, TS calls the shots, so any new CEO is going to be playing to his tune anyway.

I've worked in places like that where the Owner is effectively 100% in charge, it very rarely works having someone else in charge under them.
    That’s obviously true in a normal business, less so in football, for one fundamental reason. A real CEO, in any business except football, has one over-riding KPI - optimise profit. That doesnt apply in football. The only thing a football “CEO” has in common with real ones, is the eye-watering salaries they’ve persuaded everyone they are entitled to. I doubt a single football club CEO would be hired by a company in any other industry for a comparable salary. I mean who else was going to pay Steve Waggott 200k? ( and that was how many year ago?). 

That’s not to say they don’t play a useful role. Quite the contrary. The most appropriate title I suppose is General Manager, but that’s not sexy enough for them. Never mind. You definitely need someone with a strong working knowledge of footie, senior biz level experience from outside footie, and great management skills. But it all goes down to the owner creating the space, as you say and defining “autonomy”. The good thing is that Thomas will have been down this road before with his own company. And judging by the Athletic article, he is half way to concluding he needs to do the same here, perhaps a bit quicker than he hoped, ( because if you are a bizman who loves footie, and you get to buy a club, you’d only be human to suppose that you can be hands-on for a while).4
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    The Chairman is the owner of the ship and the CEO would be the Captain of the ship. The Manager of the team would be like the Boss of the engine room. The successful running of a football club goes beyond the leading of the team itself. 
    And the Director of Operations looks after the Galley ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudderless.