Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Floods

My garage has 3 inches of water in it, Now trying to protect my house !!!!!

Anyone else being flooded as we speak ?

Comments

• Options
    Not me but a friend has 6 inches of water in her kitchen. very bad.
  • Options
    christ on a bike, not seen rain like this before !!

just hope when i get home the roof has done what its paid to do....
  • Options
    It's because all these people have paving on their front gardens. I have mainly grass in mine.

Anyone know if it's going to stop ?
  • Options
    we are due heavy rain for 24 hours... sorry.

what road do you live in?
  • Options
    good luck mate, have visions of you cartoon-style doing windmills with buckets...
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    just had a ridiculous downpour.road at the front is a stream at the moment. i have just benn running around the house like steptoe and son with pots and pans as our upstairs gutter decided the best way to get rid of the water was through the roof. anyone know a good builder?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]I have mainly grass in mine

You shouldnt have said that!! If you see a strange looking bearded ginger bloke hanging around the front, you'll know its MCS ;-)
  • Options
    Croydon and Wimbledon flooded apparently
  • Options
    I see white sky now. and some old ladie opposite me is going a bit mad, she must've bough a job lot of sand bag's and is offering everyone one.

First Avenue, just off Bostall heath
  • Options
    Our canteen, here in Welling...Flooded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sun is now starting to come out, and rain is disappearing. Bucketed the water out of the garage.

Comparing it to oop north it aint that bad i suppose.
  • Options
    Where the f**k is Noah?????
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]It's because all these people have paving on their front gardens.
    Quite a bit of truth in that.
    www.london.gov.uk/londoner/05nov/

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml
  • Options
    yay!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Love the way they don't actually suggest alternatives (till you dig into the links) clear as mud!
  • Options
    Rain has stopped in Bromley leaving deposits of sand and stones in the street and the end of my road blocked by about 6 inches of water
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Love the way they don't actually suggest alternatives (till you dig into the links)
    Don't pave over gardens!

I have gravel driveway - allows water to drain into the ground, looks nicer, sounds nicer and costs less. Plus lawn and garden, there is some paving in the back, but not much, mainly garden - very lush at the moment!.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]It's because all these people have paving on their front gardens.
    Quite a bit of truth in that.
    www.london.gov.uk/londoner/05nov/

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml[/url

What a load of bollox!
    So what about the 250k houses Gordon is going to build?
  • Options
    Little bit of rain and the country goes to the dogs, blah, blah feckin blah.

Lot's of overtime and weekend call outs for Mr Dicko. Bring it on is what I say.

Orpington needs a good wash anyway ;-)

Anyone know what it's like back round Lordswood/Walderslade... Ketters???
  • Options
    I'm thinking of gravel, these block ones are so common..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]What a load of bollox!
    Err no, water has got to go somewhere and if it can't drain into gardens it runs off elsewhere increasing the risk (and magnitude) of flooding.
  • Options
    my garage is flooded - got the wife to take loads of pictures so those bastard insurance companies can't give it large and say it didn't rain that hard
  • Options
    hmm 22 hyde parks spread over the whole of London, and divided into tiny plots - I still don't think its a major contributor, its just freak weather and our drainage systems can't cope, oh and of course nothing to do with all the building on flood plains that has happened in recent years.
  • Options
    Err no, water has got to go somewhere and if it can't drain into gardens it runs off elsewhere increasing the risk (and magnitude) of flooding.
    Obviously, but to blame floods on a few pikey driveways is plain stupid and deflecting the fact that our Victorian drainage system needs updating.
  • Options
    Yeah all those industrial sites near thamesmead and erith marshes will sink one day.

There own fault for building on marshes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Obviously, but to blame floods on a few pikey driveways is plain stupid and deflecting the fact that our Victorian drainage system needs updating.
    Not necessarily floods per se, but the risk and magnitude of the floods is obviously greater because of the ever increasing paving over of gardens.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    Obviously, but to blame floods on a few pikey driveways is plain stupid and deflecting the fact that our Victorian drainage system needs updating.

I think what they're saying is its a combination of the old drainage system, coupled with less grass to soak up the rain and that the increase in water being put into the drainage system is too much for an already antequated system to cope with
  • Options
    Had to walk down to the barbers, got absolutely soaked, deffinately the wrong day to wear a light grey suit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Had to walk down to the barbers, got absolutely soaked, deffinately the wrong day to wear a light grey suit.

lol
  • Options
    nothing to do with overdevelopment either, building on every square inch of land, na lets blame it on driveways..