Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    I really thought Emma had it won in the second set but that was her final throw of the dice unfortunately and she seemed to suddenly hit a brick wall coming out for the third set.  This is how the NZ Herald put it:

• Options
    Raducanu was winning the tie break in the second set 3-1 but then lost the next six points and inevitably from being out for so long she then tired. Still, she's back on court now and it's something to build on. 
  • Options
    Raducanu was winning the tie break in the second set 3-1 but then lost the next six points and inevitably from being out for so long she then tired. Still, she's back on court now and it's something to build on. 
    Hopefully she can stay injury free.
  • Options
    She's straight into the Aussie Open main draw as well, through withdrawals and her 'special' pre injury ranking. Although may be a bit too soon in her comeback to get through too many rounds
  • Options
    The men’s ASB Classic tournament starts today and Cameron Norrie (and top seed Ben Sheldon of the USA) have byes into the next round:

• Options
    Cameron Norrie will face Frenchman L. van Assche tomorrow in the round of 16.

van Assche breezed through his match against JJ Wolf 6-4, 6-2.

It may not be an easy game for Norrie.  His 19 year old opponent is ranked 63 in the world and has earnings of over $1m.  He turned pro in 2021.
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Bexleyheath tennis club had a minor tennis celebrity gracing our courts yesterday.

Pictured with myself is Canterbury's Jasper Cooper, the current world number 1 over 70's doubles player (#6 singles). Jasper is also an artist and an author of highly successful children's books. A thoroughly nice guy.

Needless to say, he schooled me, but I took great delight at acing him with my short serve!

I should say it was bloody freezing yesterday morning. The things we do for sport. 

• Options
    Qualifier Alejandro Tabilo is currently the Chile number 2.  He has a career high of World no.64 in July 2022, his current ranking is 82.

The left-handed Tabilo, age 26, is 6’ 2” and has reached the second round of the Aussie, French and US Opens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately Cameron has had to withdraw from the tournament with a wrist injury which leaves his Aussie Open in doubt.
  • Options
    Jack Draper through to semis of Adelaide international- beat No 1 seed Tommy Paul in straight sets.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Draper through to final against Lehecka.

Will be back in top 50 with a win.
  • Options
    Alejandro Tabilo, who Norrie was to have met in the quarter final, in fact won the tournament 6-2, 7-5 over Taro Daniel of Japan.
  • Options
    Draper loses final in Adelaide in three sets to Lehecka.
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Draw for the Australian Open:

- Murray v [30] Etcheverry (potential third round against [1] Djokovic)
    - [19] Norrie v Varillas (potential third round against [11] Ruud)
    - Draper v Giron (potential second round against [14] Paul)
    - Evans v Sonego (potential second round against [2] Alcaraz)
    - Boulter v Yuan (potential second round against [12] Zheng)
    - Raducanu v Rogers (potential second round against [22] Cirstea)
    - Burrage v Korpatsch (potential second round against [9] Krejcikova)

Not the most favourable of draws, especially for Murray and Evans, unfortunately. 

Potential third round of Boulter v Raducanu & fourth round of Draper v Evans but you’d have to say that’s highly unlikely unless the Brits have a very good tournament.
  • Options
    Murray beaten in straight sets by Etcheverry. He seems crushed in the post match.

Burrage loses in three sets to Korpatsch.
  • Options
    Good day with Boulter, Draper and Norrie through. Hopefully Raducanu and Evans to join them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 16
    Good start for Emma. And for Dan for that matter.
  • Options
    I don't understand why (Andy) Murray doesn't concentrate on doubles, where he has a far higher chance of progressing.

He's a decent doubles player, with general tennis skills above most of the doubles players out there, and can partner with a younger guy to do more of the running.
  • Options
    Andy ,its been great having you,please dont go on too long,losing to players(no disrespect meant)who could not tie your shoe laces a few years ago.let us remember the great games v Roger and Novak,not the deafeats to the unknowns.
  • Options
    A great comeback from 2 sets down for Norrie to see him into the next round. Draper and Boulter put up good fights but knocked out against high seeds.

Emma into a final set with Wang, looking very tired. She was favourite for this match but as has often been the case is struggling with her consistency and stamina. She hasn't played too much in the last year so it is understandable. Hopefully she can get a good injury free run going over 2024
  • Options
    If Emma Raducanu had Cam Norrie's stamina she would become a top 20 player.
    I'm so invested in British player that I started to do breathing exercises watching Emma. The girl who use to live in Bromley Common before the millions came in, is a queen of drama. The bizarre thing is after the long break after the second set when she was waiting for her opponent she ate a banana really quickly (I know that's normal) but as soon as the final set started she looked as if she was going to throw up. By Aussie summer standards the temperature was ok.
    It's crazy to think that she is still a rookie on the professional circuit after the fairytale victory in New York 3 years ago. Injuries and illness means she has never had a consistent run to build up her skill set and stamina in match situations.

There really were positives after the two matches in the AO but being a slam winners there will always be a target on her back as there is kudos for players ranked about 100 like Wang in beating her.

We will see how much Emma wants it as the money isn't the motivation as she can earn more outside Tennis by taking the Maria Sharapova route to financial riches.
    Sharapova did keep playing but after winning her first slam at 17, lived in the shadow of Serena Williams mainly who she lost to more than Cafc lose to Millwall !
  • Options
    I don't understand why (Andy) Murray doesn't concentrate on doubles, where he has a far higher chance of progressing.

He's a decent doubles player, with general tennis skills above most of the doubles players out there, and can partner with a younger guy to do more of the running.

Agree.
    Finished his career playing doubles for his sporting adrenaline rush as he has no chance now of getting to the second week of a slam unless there is rain issues and he's not on a show court.
    The young guys are too fit and fast now and Andy has lost that ability to get around the court as quick.

Andy Murray has had a great career in the era of all time greats like Rafa, Roger and Novak. Three Slams are fantastic despite the myriad of semi and final losses.
  • Options
    I'm so invested in British player that I started to do breathing exercises watching Emma. The girl who use to live in Bromley Common before the millions came in, is a queen of drama. The bizarre thing is after the long break after the second set when she was waiting for her opponent she ate a banana really quickly (I know that's normal) but as soon as the final set started she looked as if she was going to throw up. By Aussie summer standards the temperature was ok.
    It's crazy to think that she is still a rookie on the professional circuit after the fairytale victory in New York 3 years ago. Injuries and illness means she has never had a consistent run to build up her skill set and stamina in match situations.

There really were positives after the two matches in the AO but being a slam winners there will always be a target on her back as there is kudos for players ranked about 100 like Wang in beating her.

We will see how much Emma wants it as the money isn't the motivation as she can earn more outside Tennis by taking the Maria Sharapova route to financial riches.
    Sharapova did keep playing but after winning her first slam at 17, lived in the shadow of Serena Williams mainly who she lost to more than Cafc lose to Millwall !
    If ER was motivated largely by money she wouldn't have persevered in that match when she started to feel ill.  She gets paid the same however she loses the match, in 3 sets or illness withdrawal.  She's barely had 2 years on the tour and after that lengthy layoff she can't be expected to sail straight back to consistent performances.  The good parts of that match were really very good.  Her opponent rose from ranking 418 to 97 through 2023 including beating Caroline Garcia at Flushing Meadow, she has been as high as 47 before Chinese quarantine regulations shut down her career through covid, the main advantage she had over RB was being battle hardened from regular tournaments.  ER is going to run into several of these in the coming months.  They may be less talented than Emma, they won't have reached the heights of a Grand Slam final but their muscle memory will be better, some of them will beat her just cos they're grooved and better acquainted with what they do well and what they do less well.  The business of 'getting over the line' takes practice.
    I hope ER gets the chance to find her level again.
  • Options

She still lives there at her parent's house as far as I know.
  • Options
    I am not sure Emma will be a force on the circuit again.She does not need the money,to play at the top level you have to dedicate your life to tennis,and I dont think she will want to do this.Look at the 16 year old who beat the no 6 seed yesterday,and there are plenty more teenagers on the up who will be hungry for success.I really want to be wrong on this as Emma is a breath of fresh air to British tennis,and I would love to see her do well.
  • Options
    Great comeback by Mednedev from 2 sets down