Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    If he can win two games at Queen’s, that will likely squeeze him into the top 33 which would be enough for a seeding, dependant on the performance of players around him…
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tomorrow’s order of play at Queens on Centre Court. Four matches featuring four British players:

- Humbert v Peniston [WC]
    followed by
    - Kecmanovic v Norrie [5]
    followed by
    - Korda v Evans
    followed by
    - Musetti [6] v Choinski [WC]
  • Options
     Boulter won the battle of the Brits at Nottingham, she's clearly the British No 1 at the moment 
  • Options
    Tomorrow’s order of play at Queens on Centre Court. Four matches featuring four British players:

- Humbert v Peniston [WC]
    followed by
    - Kecmanovic v Norrie [5]
    followed by
    - Korda v Evans
    followed by
    - Musetti [6] v Choinski [WC]
    Peniston defeats Humbert 6-4 6-2
  • Options
    Peniston seems quite hard to beat
  • Options
    Norrie defeats Kecmanovic 6-4 7-6

Evans loses to Korda 4-6 5-7

Musetti has taken the first set over Choinski 6-4
  • Options
    Day 2 order of play at Queens:

- Cressy v Rune [2]
    followed by
    - Alcaraz [1] v Fils
    followed by 
    - De Minaur [7] v Murray
    - followed by
    Zapata Miralles v Fritz [3]
  • Options
    Evans has done a Raducanu and parted company with his coach
  • Options
    Peniston seems quite hard to beat
    Not a single nibble…
  • Options
    edited June 2023
     Boulter won the battle of the Brits at Nottingham, she's clearly the British No 1 at the moment 

If Katie Boulter can stay fit, she has a bigger game than any of the other British girls including Emma Raducanu. Pleased that Swan, Burbage and Dart are progressing and Watson is still motivated.
    Boulter has the best serve and power back hand and forehand, and being tall, only her movement may stop her being a top 30 player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Murray / De Minaur should be getting started shortly…
  • Options
    De Minaur takes the first set 6-3
  • Options
    Murray being outclassed by DeMinaur. Big step up from the Challenger tour.
  • Options
    6-3 6-1 to De Minaur. Very one sided.

• Options
    I’ve had enough of Australia today.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Barring a shocker winner of Queen’s or Halle from outside the World Top 40, Murray is going to be ranked #38 or #39 heading into Wimbledon and therefore will likely miss out on being seeded.
  • Options
    Part of me wishes Andy would call it a day, instead of struggling on and diluting his legacy.
    It's his call obviously, but he was such a great competitor I find it painful to watch.
  • Options
    Part of me wishes Andy would call it a day, instead of struggling on and diluting his legacy.
    It's his call obviously, but he was such a great competitor I find it painful to watch.
    He's got back into the top 50, we won 2 weeks before... regardless whether one is on the challengers but it's probably a good thing going out early so he is fresher for Wimbledon.

Amazing grit and character, when he could have given up. Granted his fitness has to be managed and he might not get back to top 10/20 but he is still a competitor and has been in good form of late.
  • Options
    Three challenger event victories for Murray this year but a string of early exits on the main tour. Great achievement for him to get back in the top 40 and he deserves great credit for that.

I was surprised by how outclassed he was yesterday- thought he would make a game of it.
  • Options
    imagine, being in the top 40 of an elite sport and being told to jack it in.. hilarious.. In football terms that would mean the top 2 divisions, so no Charlton.... laughable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    imagine, being in the top 40 of an elite sport and being told to jack it in.. hilarious.. In football terms that would mean the top 2 divisions, so no Charlton.... laughable
    If he were 19, 20 years old and at the beginning of his career I would be more inclined to see it your way.
    At the time he had to give up the game in order to get his back fixed, he had (if I remember correctly) just beaten Djokovic in the end of years ATP Masters and gutsed his way to a number 1 world ranking.
    Rankings are of course transient, but he was at the very least the 4th best player in the world and a strong contender at every major tournament he played.
    Djokovic has just won his 23rd major, whereas for Andy has just won 2 provincial tournaments against modest opposition. He has just been thrashed by Alex De Wanker.
    I'm not telling him to jack it in, those are your words. That's got to be his call and as you suggest there is no disgrace in continuing a career when you are a top 40 player in your sport.
    I am sure he sees it that way to and good luck to him.
    It's my problem I know, but I don't like seeing a Major contender as a Major also ran, desperate for a seeding at Wimbledon so he can avoid playing anybody good early on.

• Options
    If he were 19, 20 years old and at the beginning of his career I would be more inclined to see it your way.
    At the time he had to give up the game in order to get his back fixed, he had (if I remember correctly) just beaten Djokovic in the end of years ATP Masters and gutsed his way to a number 1 world ranking.
    Rankings are of course transient, but he was at the very least the 4th best player in the world and a strong contender at every major tournament he played.
    Djokovic has just won his 23rd major, whereas for Andy has just won 2 provincial tournaments against modest opposition. He has just been thrashed by Alex De Wanker.
    I'm not telling him to jack it in, those are your words. That's got to be his call and as you suggest there is no disgrace in continuing a career when you are a top 40 player in your sport.
    I am sure he sees it that way to and good luck to him.
    It's my problem I know, but I don't like seeing a Major contender as a Major also ran, desperate for a seeding at Wimbledon so he can avoid playing anybody good early on.

Yeah i understand that view, sort of ruining his legacy. He was up there with the best of them and now he is half the player, still a fantastic achievement to even get back into the top 100. I respect it, he could easily retire and probably is set for life but he clearly has some goals or feels he can compete. I cant see him ever getting to the latter stages of the Majors but even picking up the odd small title, even Nottingham is better than retiring for now.
  • Options
    It's an empty statement I know, but arguably in another era Andy could have won at least a dozen Majors. He shared his era with 3 GOAT contenders and never looked out of place
  • Options
    If Murray had just decided to play doubles on his return, he would have won a shed load of titles as the talent is still there, and doubles is physically much easier on the body.
  • Options
    Alex De Minaur, who beat Murray in the 1st round of Queens, has made an impressive run to the final, dropping only one set.
  • Options
    Been a pretty good tournament. Alcaraz up a set so far on de minaur in the final. 
  • Options
    Murray and Evans have teamed up to play doubles at the Citi Open in Washington. They’ve knocked out the second seeds to advance to the quarter final.

Evans (9th seed) and Murray (15th seed) both have byes into the second round of the singles draw.
  • Options
    Murray and Evans have teamed up to play doubles at the Citi Open in Washington. They’ve knocked out the second seeds to advance to the quarter final.

Evans (9th seed) and Murray (15th seed) both have byes into the second round of the singles draw.
    I don't understand why Andy doesn't play doubles at Wimbledon and the other majors now. Realistically he's got a far greater chance of progressing in the doubles than the singles, and lots of younger doubles players would love to team up with him.
  • Options

I don't understand why Andy doesn't play doubles at Wimbledon and the other majors now. Realistically he's got a far greater chance of progressing in the doubles than the singles, and lots of younger doubles players would love to team up with him.
    Or his brother.
  • Options

I think it's sort of admitting defeat he can't do it himself / singles, also the additional energy he would use on top of the 5 setters, maybe in the future he will go down that path solo once he realises he will struggle to get near in a major with his fitness.