Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dazn close to buying BT Sport

"Dazn are close, really close, to buying BT Sport. Dazn wants the Premier League in particular. BT wants out of sports. Haggling over a price that suits all parties. Deal could be done by end of the month."

DAZN, the sports streaming service owned by billionaire Sir Leonard Blavatnik, is in advanced talks to buy BT’s sports business.

A deal would reshape the UK broadcasting landscape after nearly a decade of rampant competition between Sky and BT in both the sports and broadband markets. DAZN has proved to be an emerging threat and this year it outbid Sky Italia for the rights to broadcast Serie A games as part of a €2.5bn deal.  

Comments

• Options
    So would that mean we would have to watch it on an app or online ? If so I’m out . 
  • Options
    So would that mean we would have to watch it on an app or online ? If so I’m out . 
    Not sure actually. Imagine so, they would want to push people to use the DAZN app. 

Bit like Amazon Prime did with the football. 
  • Options
    The way things are going with us I ain’t going to worry too much about the premier league. 
  • Options
    The way things are going with us I ain’t going to worry too much about the premier league. 
    You will in 5 4 years time  :D
  • Options
    I use Dazn here in Canada. All the streams are in bloody 720p and look crap.

BT coverage is really really good and the 4K picture is unrivalled.

I hope it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Dazn in the early stages tho, i reckon theyll upgrade if they get the premier league. Im all for it! Do they get ufc as well then? 
  • Options
    Yeah this is true. It was broken about a month or so ago on the boxing forum I use
  • Options
    As a BT shareholder like most of us are who have pensions this is concerning. If BT Sport goes what have BT got other than a marketing department? I'm not against DAZN buying them out and maybe BT can repay some of its pension deficit then and stop rumping its workforce 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Carter said:
    As a BT shareholder like most of us are who have pensions this is concerning. If BT Sport goes what have BT got other than a marketing department? I'm not against DAZN buying them out and maybe BT can repay some of its pension deficit then and stop rumping its workforce 
    According to a person in the know and a boxing magazine writer they want out of not only boxing but sport as a whole. I heard this in August so surprised it hasn't been finalised yet. DAZN are desperate for PL rights and this is easiest way to get some quickly.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Carter said:
    According to a person in the know and a boxing magazine writer they want out of not only boxing but sport as a whole. I heard this in August so surprised it hasn't been finalised yet. DAZN are desperate for PL rights and this is easiest way to get some quickly.
    Yeah thats not a secret, BT announced earlier this year or last they would consider offers for BT sport but denied it was for sale (by saying that they confirmed it was for sale) just seems a funny move when they went so aggressively after a lot of sports and really pushed the product to now step away leaves them with not a lot of assets now they are legally separated from the engineering division and the part of the BT group that makes a lot of money in Openreach. They sold off the buildings for a long term lease back years ago to pay for the 3G licence then sold O2/Cellnet. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    cs1986 said:
    Carter said:
    Yeah thats not a secret, BT announced earlier this year or last they would consider offers for BT sport but denied it was for sale (by saying that they confirmed it was for sale) just seems a funny move when they went so aggressively after a lot of sports and really pushed the product to now step away leaves them with not a lot of assets now they are legally separated from the engineering division and the part of the BT group that makes a lot of money in Openreach. They sold off the buildings for a long term lease back years ago to pay for the 3G licence then sold O2/Cellnet. 

Yeah I agree it's an odd decision. It is funny that it will put Hearn and Warren under the same banner though.