Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

living with mother in law

I am stuck living with a mother in law who is so rude. Help.

Comments

• Options
    A few years ago my mum came to live with us. Over the next two years the relationship deteriorated as she disapproved over how my wife and I raised our daughter, maintained the house etc. Most of the negativity was directed towards my wife. 

I guess my mum had a traditional view of a family life. Dad at work. Mum at home etc. However our way of living was different, we both work(ed) shared household duties etc.
    It all ended with a full blown argument where I had to make a choice wife or mum. The choice was not difficult and mum moved out a short while later.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Whatever you do, don’t mention anything to your wife. You’ve got to put up with it until you can get out of the situation. 
  • Options
    My mother in law has been living with us for nine years now. It’s not easy but for our situation it was the best option for us. I still think that although it is very testing at times. Funnily enough my wife argues with her Mum far more than I do. I tend to stay out of it as far as I can. It’s not ideal but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Whose house is it? I guess if it’s hers it’s a bit more complicated than if it’s yours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve lived with mine since my son was born, which is fairly common in this part of China, luckily her Chinese isn’t perfect so I often resort to “I don’t understand, sorry” 

I sometimes have to let out my frustration in English which she absolutely doesn’t understand, there was quite an awkward evening when my wife got in from a dinner with friends and our son was running around screaming “old hag, old hag” 
    Whats her first language if she doesnt speak great Chinese or English? - Cantonese?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Get one of those granny pods and relegate her out into the garden.
  • Options
    relegate her out into the garden.

• Options
    Yizu, which is the language of her ethnic minority, she can speak Chinese, but almost always speaks the local dialect, which is quite hard for me, I can communicate with her, just sometimes choose not to. 
    Ma; horse rather than mother?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fattmatt said:

C'mon Matt we need more info
  • Options
    Try not to let your mother in law catch you having sex with her other daughter. Makes for awkward conversation at Christmas 
  • Options
    Try not to let your mother in law catch you having sex with her other daughter. Makes for awkward conversation at Christmas 
    And definitely try not to let your wife catch you having sex with her mother. 
  • Options
    My mother in law is a lazy ponce
    The bit that I couldn’t get across any more has been edited out
  • Options
    Just start discussing Charlton with her at every opportunity you get.  Even if the conversation isn’t about Charlton, turn it into one 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Just start discussing anal with her at every opportunity you get.  Even if the conversation isn’t about anal, turn it into one