Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any computer geniuses able to help?

I’m not particularly technical, and I have a problem setting up my daughter’s new laptop. Just wondering if there’s a quick fix or if there’s something wrong with the laptop itself. Any help gratefully received…

Just bought a new ASUS ROG strix G15 gaming laptop for my daughter’s birthday. Started it up for the first time this evening and it took us to the “BIOS EZ mode” (This surprised me because I expected the usual ‘welcome’ or ‘easy set up’ type of screen you normally get straight from the box.) This BIOS mode allowed us to set up admin and user passwords, but that’s about it. We can’t find a way out of this mode. I looked online for help and got lots of suggestions to select options that simply weren’t there. (In advanced or boot menus and the like). The most useful information I got was that if there were no ‘boot options’, it might mean that the computer can’t communicate with storage or something, and to ‘contact ASUS support’, but that is pretty useless too because their “support” just send you round in circles.

Apologies if I’ve not provided enough information here, I’ll find out what I can if you need more detail.  (Trying to follow online advice is baffling to me because they generally suggest selecting options that simply aren’t available plus they talk in jargon and expect everyone to know what they’re talking about!

Thanks in advance if anyone’s able to help!

Comments

• Did the laptop come pre-installed with Windows?

If the boot sequence starts with the SSD (and the SSD is functional) then it should boot into Windows without you doing anything. 
  • edited September 2021
    Can you see the hard drive in the BIOS setup? (Under storage), if you can reboot and keep hitting F9.

If you can't send it back.
  • Did the laptop come pre-installed with Windows?

If the boot sequence starts with the SSD (and the SSD is functional) then it should boot into Windows without you doing anything. 
    I really don’t know. To be honest, I didn’t think non-apple computers came not installed with windows.
    And what is the SSD and how do I know if it’s functional?
  • edited September 2021
    Probably not the help you're looking for (as I'm as computer illiterate as they come) but to me it sounds like its just plain faulty & if it were me I'd be looking to send it back. I've had 3 laptops in my time & the kids at least 1 each, and in all that time set up was easy & sorted in minutes. As you say, they usually start off with a home screen with easy to read instructions. If yours doesn't even have an easy re-boot or "safe" mode then there must be something intrinsically wrong with it. I'm assuming its brand new & not bought "second hand" or "reconditioned" - if so I'd be looking to send it back pronto & asking f8r a replacement or a refund. 
  • Looking up the laptop online, it seems like they do all come pre-installed with Windows.

I therefore defer to Rob7Lee's comment - in the BIOS setup see if the laptop is recognising the Solid State Drive (SSD) (i.e. the hard drive). There should be a storage tab somewhere.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Can you see the hard drive in the BIOS setup? (Under storage), if you can reboot and keep hitting F9.

If you can't send it back.
    I’ve contacted the supplier to see if they have advice, but I’m hoping they might suggest sending it back and getting a replacement. Trouble is, I’m in Slovakia and they don’t speak great English, so I’m a bit worried this might turn into a massive headache.
  • edited September 2021
    The SSD is the storage disk (what used to be the hard disk). Easiest way to check whether it's functional, is to take it out, stick it in an external hard drive caddy and see if you can read it when you attach the caddy to a different PC. However that doesn't guarantee that it's bootable, as it's possible that the boot sectors have got corrupted (I have several old hard drives like this from old computers, that I use for temporary backups or data transfer), and doing so may void your warranty, so I'd check carefully first.
  • Thanks all.
    Your immediate reactions suggest it’s faulty, so I’ll pursue getting it replaced I think. It’s a bit late here now, so can’t check the things some of you suggested until tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure it couldn’t see the important storage stuff on the BIOS screen.

I’ll keep you posted if any further developments.
    Cheers.
  • Never known a computer to boot into bios before. That to me would suggest that there is a problem with the laptop. Most probably the ssd (solid state drive, new version of hard disk which is more like an internal USB) might be faulty or come
    lose. 

I would send it back and ask for replacement. It should boot into a windows welcome screen / set up windows screen when you turn it in. 

In bios you should have menu (tabs) across the top, normally one for storage or boot options which rob has suggested you look at to see if you can see the ssd. Also one normally on right hand side to exit/save 

last restort is hold power button down for 10 seconds to power off if you can’t get out of bios

• Sponsored links:

• You could try Googling it (seriously)
  • Ctrl Alt Delete
  • edited September 2021
    razil said:
    You could try Googling it (seriously)
    Yeah. Did that for about an hour before posting on here. All results led to solutions to other problems or links to other websites giving solutions to other problems. All explained in jargonese.

Seriously, I’ve found recently that the internet (charltonlife excepted) isn’t as good at solving technical problems as you’d think. 
    As an aside, Apple is a massive culprit in this - trying to resolve any issue with apple products or systems online is just a massive rabbit hole of circular reasoning, useless links and people answering questions that are simply not the question you’re asking. I’m not even sure anyone mans the apple support desk. It’s atrocious.

Turns out, charltonlife gave me more useful answers in ten minutes than I’ve found anywhere else since yesterday. And that includes @Addickted and his IT Crowd answer. 😂
  • Ctrl Alt Delete
    Lol. Second or third thing I tried. 😂
  • I'm almost certain it's not recognising the hard disk exists.
  • It could also be caused by faulty ram as well. You certainly shouldn't be having a new computer booting into bios. It may not be anything is faulty, just connected poorly. If it is new the seller needs to sort it out for you.
  • edited September 2021
    lots of reviews and advice on here .. IF you have the patience to sit through them all

ASUS ROG strix G15review

• It will almost certainly not be reading the SSD (which has the operating system on it). 

Could be as simple as a loose cable, but if you aren't technically competent (and generally laptops are harder to work on than desktops), I would definitely recommend sending it back. 

The BIOS should let you know any storage devices that there are on the machine, I am guessing that the SSD is not listed? 
  • aliwibble said:
    The SSD is the storage disk (what used to be the hard disk). Easiest way to check whether it's functional, is to take it out, stick it in an external hard drive caddy and see if you can read it when you attach the caddy to a different PC. However that doesn't guarantee that it's bootable, as it's possible that the boot sectors have got corrupted (I have several old hard drives like this from old computers, that I use for temporary backups or data transfer), and doing so may void your warranty, so I'd check carefully first.
    He said he’s not technical though so this isn’t great advice
  • Sponsored links:

• SamB09 said:
    aliwibble said:
    I appreciate that people are trying to help though. 👍🏼
  • By the way, I’ve contacted the supplier to arrange a replacement. Just waiting for a response now. 
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I was in a mindset that I’d done something wrong and needed to fix it somehow, but you’ve all reassured me that it just arrived faulty, so I feel a bit more relaxed about it.
    My daughter’s still waiting for her birthday present though - so hopefully it won’t be a long wait! 🤞🏼
  • SamB09 said:
    aliwibble said:
    He did say "not particularly technical". Nor am I when it comes to hardware, but with all the laptops I've owned, the hard drive has been accessible via a separate panel, so taking them out is just a matter of disconnecting the battery and removing 8 screws at most. However I've just had a look at that model on youtube, and it necessitates taking the whole back off, which is a lot more of a faff, particularly as there are a couple of cables you have to disconnect before you can remove it completely. So yep, probably best avoided in this case.
  • By the way, I’ve contacted the supplier to arrange a replacement. Just waiting for a response now. 
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I was in a mindset that I’d done something wrong and needed to fix it somehow, but you’ve all reassured me that it just arrived faulty, so I feel a bit more relaxed about it.
    My daughter’s still waiting for her birthday present though - so hopefully it won’t be a long wait! 🤞🏼
    I guess you won't now but as you are sending it back don't start opening it up to try and fix it or they may end up saying you've broken it.