Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Elerewe - won League One Apprentice of the year at EFL 2022 Awards (p11)

Comments

• Options
    Been linked with West Ham. That who you heard @Doucher ?

Sort of - a Nigerian football site says Man Utd, Chelsea and West Ham had scouts watching both teams. I’d say Prem clubs watching these games is to be expected and Deji will likely be one player they went to watch alongside others.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=41290
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Been linked with West Ham. That who you heard @Doucher ?

Sort of - a Nigerian football site says Man Utd, Chelsea and West Ham had scouts watching both teams. I’d say Prem clubs watching these games is to be expected and Deji will likely be one player they went to watch alongside others.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=41290
    Sure it was the young rapscallion Ben Watson there coming to watch really ;) 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As a club we have also grabbed good players developed elsewhere. Lookman and Pope are two examples.
    Not the same though is it? We get them from Waterloo and kings lynn? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As a club we have also grabbed good players developed elsewhere. Lookman and Pope are two examples.
    One was a sunday league team! 
    Not when we got Aribo as another example.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Bury Town 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I suppose it's about pecking order
    'I know an old lady who swallowed a fly'.
  • Options
    It might be fairer  if the EPP stitch up included an automatic sell on clause - so if DE went to West Ham and was sold for 50 million to Man City we would profit from it . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with you as to what happened. My point is that Charlton are low down in the food chain in acquiring players, but not at the bottom.
    The real issue is when is the right moment to offer a young player a relatively lengthy contract? We have been stung quite a lot, Poyet, Palmer are examples, but with say Konsa and Doherty we fared better.
    Deji Elewere is trying to proceed in the best way for him, which in my view would be to sign a three year contract with Charlton.
  • Options
    the club have previously said that they are discussing a contract with him, if we play hard ball and say no contract then no 1st team appearances he might just say bye and go elsewhere, it is very difficult for us to know the state of the negotiations all we can do is keep saying to the club to sign him up and then hope he does.
  • Options
    It’s a different time, Deji has no affiliation with us so why should he sign a new contract when he can be on more money somewhere else? That’s just what happens when you’re a lower league team like us, when the bigger clubs come calling you have no chance of holding on to the player.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    One was so far down the pymamid it was in a tomb and we did a deal with the other.
  • Options
    Would be awful if we don’t keep him. 
    I get that you sometimes have to sell your best players, but letting players with massive potential go before they’ve even scratched the surface of realising that potential with us is crap. 
    He looks class.

• Options
    It’s a different time, Deji has no affiliation with us so why should he sign a new contract when he can be on more money somewhere else? That’s just what happens when you’re a lower league team like us, when the bigger clubs come calling you have no chance of holding on to the player.
    And his agent see the pound signs in his head 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I get that you sometimes have to sell your best players, but letting players with massive potential go before they’ve even scratched the surface of realising that potential with us is crap. 
    He looks class.

All we can do is offer him a contract which we have .. it’s out of our hands , club can do no more 
  • Options
    Didn't we get Deji from Palace?
  • Options
    That would be a real shame if we lost him. He has looked absolute class everytime I've seen him play 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Been with us since he was 13. If palace let him go at that age, that's on them. 

It's different to us trying to keep the lad after developing him and he jumps at the first opportunity.

*Edit*
    If that is the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Another kid refusing to sign a contract. 

Don’t play him if he won’t sign. 
    Well, we're not cyrrently playing him....only in the Pizza Hut games. In the league games when we had an injury to Innis or players were out of favour we played 35 year old Pearce.

Not really sending out the vibes that we play the youngsters is it.
  • Options
    Ged and Gallen did seem pretty confident he was going to sign and basically said keep an eye out for the announcement. The delay is a bit strange, though.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Another kid refusing to sign a contract. 

Don’t play him if he won’t sign. 
    Well, we're not cyrrently playing him....only in the Pizza Hut games. In the league games when we had an injury to Innis or players were out of favour we played 35 year old Pearce.

Not really sending out the vibes that we play the youngsters is it.
    Pearce has never played on the right side of the centre back pairing… Elerewe has not yet played on the left side. They are not competing for the same spot.

It’s been Inniss, Elerewe or (after he signed) Lavelle in that position.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    He looks class.

All we can do is offer him a contract which we have .. it’s out of our hands , club can do no more 
    They could have. They could have sorted a contract in the summer
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    He looks class.

Maybe they did and he didn't sign it then either?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    He looks class.

They have been talking to him for a while .. hence the offer of a contract .. as I say the club can do no but once money, cars and houses fir his parents start getting mentioned then it’s a diff story … we all remember Defoe and how West Ham got to his parents etc etc ….. this is going the same way and should not be allowed 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Been with us since he was 13. If palace let him go at that age, that's on them. 

It's different to us trying to keep the lad after developing him and he jumps at the first opportunity.

*Edit*
    If that is the case.

Palace let Deji Elerewe go at 13 similar to the age Baah left Palace. Deji was then enrolled at the Kinetic football/Harris academy but just 3 months later he joined Cafc. Baah was at Kinetic football/Harris academy for 30 months before Signing for Rochdale.