Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A World Cup every 2 years

2»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I also read that John Terry and Michael Owen were being flown out to Qatar to discuss their opinions on the re-formatting.

Sorry, but what on earth has it got to do with them? They’re not going to be spending their money to go around following the tournament every two years. And neither will be playing.

So obvious that FIFA are just lobbying to bring as many ‘ambassadors’ along as possible to speak in support of the idea. 
    I’m sure they are pocketing a hefty wedge to be yes men . John Terry is hardly a role model for anything .
  • Options
    i actually love it. Copa is every 2 years so is the African tournament. What’s not to like. No silly friendly and less qualifying games. I probably have 20 years left to live and seeing 10 world cups is better than watching 5. 
    How would there be less qualifying games if there is a major tournament every single summer? You'd be forever playing qualifiers for something. 

If this did happen i hope they reworked qualifying so that there were preliminary qualifiers for the low ranked nations like they have in Asian qualifying. If you're going to have to cram in qualifiers for a tournament every single year then at least do away with having to waste time playing games against San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar etc. 
  • Options
    It's all about the money, money, money ....

Of course it is, its FIFA.
  • Options
    And the most ironic/sad thing about it is that probably the only power to stop FIFA getting their way is if the "big clubs" get together to tell them to fuck off.

That's right, the same big clubs who recently got together in an attempt to tell the rest of football to fuckmoff while they took their ball off to play amongst themselves.

Tragic really, what's happened to the peoples game.
  • Options
    Some of us are not that interested in internationals. Hopefully this will go the same way as the European Super League.
  • Options
    Some of us are not that interested in internationals. Hopefully this will go the same way as the European Super League.
    Fortunately the European Super League idea was outside of FIFA, with their approval needed. This idea is coming from within FIFA, and could probably find a nice few back handers to get this approved…
  • Options
    Don't want this what so  ever.
  • Options
    each country should get a fans team together and they can play every other World Cup 

put in a few rules so you don’t get out of contract pros playing 

players can not of been signed to any professional clubs at any point 
    players have to be at least half a stone overweight for their height 
    don’t worry, no drug tests
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about two World Cups per year.
    I’m going for the one a month option.🧐
  • Options
    Hate the idea and *cliché incoming* everything that's rubbish about modern football.

Would completely devalue the competition in my eyes and have so many negative knock on's. 
  • Options
    13:30 into this, Neville talks a bit about the proposals and isn't completely dismissing it and says there are some good points to it. As mentioned before condensing the qualifying meaning much less travel seems to be the key selling point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEv7PgZfhw
  • Options
    Euros and the World Cup every four years is about right. Euros or the WC every year will devalue both comps.
    I wonder how many fans who don't support the proposal will boycott as a matter of principle?
    If there is no market, it won't happen...
  • Options
    Euros and the World Cup every four years is about right. Euros or the WC every year will devalue both comps.
    I wonder how many fans who don't support the proposal will boycott as a matter of principle?
    If there is no market, it won't happen...
    It would be a very small amount IMO.

The Champions League happens every single year and is watched religiously by many. 

This move will be made to appeal to those types of fans who just want to watch the top players as often as possible.
  • Options
    Really crap idea so no doubt it will happen. 
  • Options
    Euros a better competition than WC IMO….less weak teams 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ct_addick said:
    Euros a better competition than WC IMO….less weak teams 
    Well it used to be a better competition before it increased to 24-teams

I'd have the World Cup over the Euros now, purely because you cant really afford to lose a game if you want to advance.
  • Options
    Speaking as an Old Git this sounds like a further devaluation of the World Cup, which until, I think, 1990 was about the only chance to actually see players that otherwise were people you might read about or see short clips of. With the ease of seeing any major game anywhere in the world if you have a couple of quid that rarity has gone and with it some of the thrill. It will be the sponsors that decide if this is a goer or not and so it probably will be, unfortunately.