Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squirrel in Mi Chimney

2»

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Be careful sharing that. It's illegal to let non natives go. Countryside & Wildlife Act 81
    Which is a nonsense really for animals like grey squirrels. I remember once on Rolf's Animal Hospital, they tended to an injured squirrel, and once better they had to take it to an animal sanctuary instead of just releasing it back to park or wood's where it had come from.
    Should've euthanized it as soon as they got it imo 

The problem is, greys are bigger and more aggressive than the reds, and more resilient to the diseases that they also pass on to the reds. 

Centerparks and other large land owners are employing squirrel rangers to keep control of the greys, so the reds can prosper. And it's working. There's plenty of native wildlife species that need the help of wildlife sanctuaries that do a great job, but not sure why they waste their time and money on non native grey squirrels....
  • edited September 2021
    Where you see greys you don't see reds so not sure it isn't closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. In the Bournemouth gardens the squirrels will take monkey nuts out of your hand. There are black squirrels near my mum's. You don't see them often but it is great when you do.
  • There's quite a lot of weight from the experts behind the idea that controlling the greys, help reds return.
  • Gribbo said:
    There's quite a lot of weight from the experts behind the idea that controlling the greys, help reds return.
    Not just opinion but scientific evidence. The most effective method of controlling grey squirrels is by reintroducing pine martens to the area. Martens utilise the same part of the tree as the greys and will hunt them whereas the smaller reds tend to be on the branch tips where the martens don't occupy.
  • Helps with Nigels as well
  • Some areas are introducing pine martens to control grey squirrels, with a view to re-introducing red squirrels. 
  • edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Be careful sharing that. It's illegal to let non natives go. Countryside & Wildlife Act 81
    Which is a nonsense really for animals like grey squirrels. I remember once on Rolf's Animal Hospital, they tended to an injured squirrel, and once better they had to take it to an animal sanctuary instead of just releasing it back to park or wood's where it had come from.

The problem is, greys are bigger and more aggressive than the reds, and more resilient to the diseases that they also pass on to the reds. 

Centerparks and other large land owners are employing squirrel rangers to keep control of the greys, so the reds can prosper. And it's working. There's plenty of native wildlife species that need the help of wildlife sanctuaries that do a great job, but not sure why they waste their time and money on non native grey squirrels....
    There are no red squirrels within roughly a 100 miles of London, there's zero chance of that changing either.
  • Daddy_Pig said:
    Gribbo said:
    There's quite a lot of weight from the experts behind the idea that controlling the greys, help reds return.
    Not just opinion but scientific evidence. The most effective method of controlling grey squirrels is by reintroducing pine martens to the area. Martens utilise the same part of the tree as the greys and will hunt them whereas the smaller reds tend to be on the branch tips where the martens don't occupy.
    Sorry I didn't read your post before making mine.

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

There are no red squirrels within roughly a 100 miles of London, there's zero chance of that changing either.
    Maybe, maybe not, but the legislation is in place, so I still think it strange that wildlife sanctuaries treat a wild animals for them then to be held in captivity for the rest of their life. I don't think it's in the animals best interest and as said above, it's a proven fact that reds thrive without a grey population
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

https://www.discoveranimals.co.uk/news/baby-red-squirrels-boost-rewilding-project-kent/