Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fever Pitch BBC TV

Comments

• I am surprised that there is no mention on here, not any that I've seen at least. The story of the formation and rise of the Premier League. Nice bit of nostalgia that should interest all football fans. 
    I expect there will be a few comments damning the money saturated 'big clubs' and how they have ruined the 'people's game', but own up everyone, who amongst us would not like to see our CAFC up there playing and winning at the top of the Premier League table.

Come on you Addicksssssss   
    Your penultimate sentence is a question that should have a multiple choice .

If it's with oil money or something else that I consider immoral then 'no.' 

If it's money invested from the owner of a company that makes, let's say, medical equipment, then yes.

If it were with the current owner of Forest Green then even better .
  • Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

Just SIX  permanents .. so that dispels any notion of 'ring fencing' .. London  and Lancashire rule .. no midlands or north east clubs.
    AND if you compare the six Prem with the pre-Prem winners, there is not a lot of difference ..  List of English football champions - Wikipedia

Without clicking on that list I bet that there was greater diversity of champions in the 30 years before the Premier League. Off the top of my head there was Forest, Leeds and Derby for starters.
  • edited September 2021
    Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

Just SIX  permanents .. so that dispels any notion of 'ring fencing' .. London  and Lancashire rule .. no midlands or north east clubs.
    AND if you compare the six Prem with the pre-Prem winners, there is not a lot of difference ..  List of English football champions - Wikipedia

Without clicking on that list I bet that there was greater diversity of champions in the 30 years before the Premier League. Off the top of my head there was Forest, Leeds and Derby for starters.
    right .. why not look at the list ? .. top of my head .. Wolves were a power 60 odd years ago, Everton with the Moores money .. the ones you mention are the exceptions to 'the rule' .. with Villa, Ipswich, the latter in 1962, Burnley once .. Blackburn and Leicester of course have won the Prem .. basic rule for Prem winners ? .. follow the money
  • I am surprised that there is no mention on here, not any that I've seen at least. The story of the formation and rise of the Premier League. Nice bit of nostalgia that should interest all football fans. 
    I expect there will be a few comments damning the money saturated 'big clubs' and how they have ruined the 'people's game', but own up everyone, who amongst us would not like to see our CAFC up there playing and winning at the top of the Premier League table.

Come on you Addicksssssss   
    Your penultimate sentence is a question that should have a multiple choice .

If it's with oil money or something else that I consider immoral then 'no.' 

If it's money invested from the owner of a company that makes, let's say, medical equipment, then yes.

If it were with the current owner of Forest Green then even better .
    Oil .. do you have a car and/or use plastic ? .. the politics around oil stink, BUT right now we need it
  • Look at League 1 & count how many teams have been in the Premier League over the past 30 years.

Us
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Wigan
    Bolton
    Sheff Wed
    Ipswich 
    MK Dons (as Wimbledon)

You can't have the last one mate  :/
    You were lucky I put the latter bit in brackets. I was just going to leave it as MK Dons but they did compete in the Prem when they were known as Wimbledon so I thought it churlish not to say so. 
  • Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

The same concentration of titles amongst a few big clubs has happened everywhere, so it's not something unique to the PL.  9 in a row for Bayern Munich now, whereas in the 70s Hamburg, Koln and Borussia Mönchengladbach all won the title as well. 
  • Just watched the programme. That Football League Chairman (or whatever he was) was a complete dinosaur. Yes the PL wasn't perfect, and some of the motives can be questioned, but you can't blame the David Deins of this world wanting football to be run more commercially
  • Just watched the programme. That Football League Chairman (or whatever he was) was a complete dinosaur. Yes the PL wasn't perfect, and some of the motives can be questioned, but you can't blame the David Deins of this world wanting football to be run more commercially
    And it was the likes of Bill Fox who was FL President who turned down the very generous slice of TV money, the Premier League offered in the early days of the breakaway 
  • Still think football would be a better place without the David deins of this world.
     In fact possibly the world as a whole might be a better place.

The same concentration of titles amongst a few big clubs has happened everywhere, so it's not something unique to the PL.  9 in a row for Bayern Munich now, whereas in the 70s Hamburg, Koln and Borussia Mönchengladbach all won the title as well. 
    While in headline terms that is true, look under the bonnet and it doesnt support your defence of the FAPL. For starters the huge changes in European tourno set up has concentrated the money towards those big clubs. Secondly Germany may well see a Bayern hegemony at present ( due partly to the accident of TSV going bankrupt and Bayern being encouraged to buy the Allianz as a result; and partly due to financial mismanagement at Dortmund), but the great thing about Germany is that Bundesliga 2 and below are not the financial hell-holes that their equivs in England are. And that is because the issue of how to share out the TV money remained with the German FA, and was not handed to the German equivalents of David Dein, Alan Sugar or Ken Bates.

Still worth reading Tom Bower’s book “Broken Dreams” for a proper account of the shameful sell out of English football by the FA in 1991.
  • Sponsored links:

and he had BAD hair  :#

While in headline terms that is true, look under the bonnet and it doesnt support your defence of the FAPL. For starters the huge changes in European tourno set up has concentrated the money towards those big clubs. Secondly Germany may well see a Bayern hegemony at present ( due partly to the accident of TSV going bankrupt and Bayern being encouraged to buy the Allianz as a result; and partly due to financial mismanagement at Dortmund), but the great thing about Germany is that Bundesliga 2 and below are not the financial hell-holes that their equivs in England are. And that is because the issue of how to share out the TV money remained with the German FA, and was not handed to the German equivalents of David Dein, Alan Sugar or Ken Bates.

Still worth reading Tom Bower’s book “Broken Dreams” for a proper account of the shameful sell out of English football by the FA in 1991.
    Maybe that's because fan owned clubs "know their place" in the ladder. They're run sensibly, with their finances in order, and have sensible ticket prices, but as a result are relatively stagnant. Never mind a City or Chelsea, there's no chance of a Blackburn rise either.

It's in some ways an attractive model, but not perfect either, and has made the Bundesliga relatively uninteresting to outsiders. It's only the arrival of Red Bull who have stirred things up, but then that's because they're "breaking the German rules" and running things  much more like an English club.
  • edited September 2021
    Just watched the programme. That Football League Chairman (or whatever he was) was a complete dinosaur. Yes the PL wasn't perfect, and some of the motives can be questioned, but you can't blame the David Deins of this world wanting football to be run more commercially
    TERRIBLE hair! The bloke clearly looked like a dinosaur, but that was basically all they offered up by way on a contrast to the "Premier League = fantastic" narrative. Almost as if they did it deliberately to say, "look at this knobhead who was disagreeing with it".

There are clearly pros and cons in anything, so I wouldve just liked a bit more context, objectivity and a look at the opposite sides of the argument. Instead it was a bit of a "Premier League is brilliant" wankathon. I had to double check it wasnt on Sky!
  • Off_it said:
    Just watched the programme. That Football League Chairman (or whatever he was) was a complete dinosaur. Yes the PL wasn't perfect, and some of the motives can be questioned, but you can't blame the David Deins of this world wanting football to be run more commercially
    TERRIBLE hair! The bloke clearly looked like a dinosaur, but that was basically all they offered up by way on a contrast to the "Premier League = fantastic" narrative. Almost as if they did it deliberately to say, "look at this knobhead who was disagreeing with it".

There are clearly pros and cons in anything, so I wouldve just liked a bit more context, objectivity and a look at the opposite sides of the argument. Instead it was a bit of a "Premier League is brilliant" wankathon. I had to double check it wasnt on Sky!
    good post .. agree the programme was VERY slanted towards 'look at us, how wonderful and clever we are' .. of course the Prem has made a whole host of millionaires, mostly footballers
  • This has been hyped up for weeks and I was expecting a deep dive into the state of them game at the turn of the decade, Hillsborough, Italia '90, the Taylor Report and so on. How forming the premier league came about, Luton voting for it but never playing in it, there's loads of material there. Instead an hour of that and a review of the 92/93 season concentrating on only two clubs. It was still good though, but next season being 93/94 I can see it being disappointing.

Maybe that's because fan owned clubs "know their place" in the ladder. They're run sensibly, with their finances in order, and have sensible ticket prices, but as a result are relatively stagnant. Never mind a City or Chelsea, there's no chance of a Blackburn rise either.

It's in some ways an attractive model, but not perfect either, and has made the Bundesliga relatively uninteresting to outsiders. It's only the arrival of Red Bull who have stirred things up, but then that's because they're "breaking the German rules" and running things  much more like an English club.
    Well, theres a thread worth of stuff to disagree with there, but keeping it to the TV aspect…Bundesliga TV rights have been much lower but have been steadily rising in recent years, so a lot more “outsiders” are becoming interested. But the thing is that if a team is relegated from 1.B it is not a financial disaster and this seasons 2.B is shaping up to be a real cracker with so many big teams there plus resurgent Dresden and Rostock from the East. And of course the shit that has happened to us since 2007 would not have happened if we’d had the German system here. 
    Honestly, if you have the chance, try to watch some Bundesliga. I watched the season opener Gladbach-Bayern and it was great entertainment.
    And finally dont forget that Bayern, too, are a “fan-owned club”.
  • It's a corporate video for the EPL. The narrative is that football was dead until those nice clever chairmen and brave Mr Murdoch saved us all. 

The trouble is you couldn't really do an even handed documentary on the PL because you would never be allowed to use the footage of games by the PL. On the evidence of episode 1 it isn't really a documentary. 

Richard Keys, what a twat. 
  • It’s mentioned a lot how “corporate” and “touristy” the PL is and I agree to an extent of course.  But it has to be said Man Utd V Newcastle yesterday looked electric as far as atmosphere goes.  Serious limbs in both ends.
  • cafctom said:
    Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

I’d be keen to see the disparity in the clubs that finish in the top 4-6 places pre and post Premier League formation. 

Leicester’s achievement of breaking the top 6 in recent years certainly feels like a major rarity that went against every trend going. 
    It's crazy how dominant Liverpool were pre-Premier league.

In the 20 seasons before the PL started, they finished in the top 2 in 19 of those seasons. And the year they didn't, they won the European cup.

Yet in 29 years of the PL, they have finished in the top 2 only twice.
  • A billion pounds was spent on transfers in the Premier league during the last window.  The Premier league gave £194,000 to the Kick it out organisation last year.  This according to the File on 4 program.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zdr9
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilma said:
    Eric Cantona said in last night's episode that his one regret is that he didn't kick the racist Palace fan more! 
    You gotta love Eric. That Palace prick showed his true colours when he had his day in court.
  • Wilma said:
    Eric Cantona said in last night's episode that his one regret is that he didn't kick the racist Palace fan more! 
    You gotta love Eric. That Palace prick showed his true colours when he had his day in court.
    I remember the whole saga well. It was so satisfying when it came out what a scumbag the Palace fan was
  • cafctom said:

I’d be keen to see the disparity in the clubs that finish in the top 4-6 places pre and post Premier League formation. 

Leicester’s achievement of breaking the top 6 in recent years certainly feels like a major rarity that went against every trend going. 
    It's crazy how dominant Liverpool were pre-Premier league.

In the 20 seasons before the PL started, they finished in the top 2 in 19 of those seasons. And the year they didn't, they won the European cup.

Yet in 29 years of the PL, they have finished in the top 2 only twice.
    Should've said top 2 only 5 times, but for some reason i can't edit my post.
  • Watched the second instalment .. so far it is ALL about Man U and Blackburn  .. it's getting, boring, repetitive and tedious. I'm hoping that the rest of the series delves into the 'politics' of the thing and how some clubs have risen from the ashes (e.g. Man Citeee) and others have crumbled into dust (e.g. Oldham Athletic)
  • YTS1978 said:
    Swindon = Jan arg Fjortoft.  Baller he was.
    Remember beating Swindon at their place with a Kim Grant winner years ago. They'd just sold Fjortoft that week i think and we all did his famous airplane celebration while singing damn busters! Seems like a lifetime ago!
    Was that when Hoddle took Micky Hazard and Ossie Ardilles with him?  Ardilles only played a couple of games from memory.
  • Watched the second part on IPlayer - Cantona is such a fascinating character.
  • Watched the second part on IPlayer - Cantona is such a fascinating character.
    Mental, cannot help but admire the geeza though.  Calling his international manager a sack of shit in an interview cracked me up.
  • Quite enjoyed the recent episode where it delved into the transition of footballers into celebrities. It’s quite incredible really how big someone like David Beckham became, before social media was around to amplify things.

Not sure what people are expecting the show to be about really - it’s not as if they’re going to be covering Charlton’s season drop offs whenever we’d get to 40 points each season.
  • Keith Gillespie is a tragedy, back then gambling addiction you was just a prat.  The geeza should of won trophies and POTY awards galore, still can’t shake the gambling addiction today he said.