Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley Addicks Live meetings are back - Patrick Collins on Thursday 23 September

2»

Comments

• Options
    Somewhere in my loft I still have the clip of an article that Patrick wrote back in 1980.
    It was headlined "At last a player to save our national game"
    I wonder if anybody can guess which player Patrick was eulogising?
    Paul Walsh 
    Correct.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    It was a nice article (elegantly written, as always) but on this occasion he wasn’t really right, was he?
    With hindsight no, but he certainly looked very special when he broke through from the academy colts team.
    Despite a cut price move to poxy Luton he did eventually make it to the great Liverpool side of the 80's.
    Was probably worthy of a lot more England caps, but he upset Bobby Robson.
    If my memory is correct he was invited on an England pre-season trip but had domestic commitments.
    When Robson rang Walsh said something along the lines of "do I have to?".
    He is the most exciting player I have seen come through our ranks. I idolised him.

Edit: to say, I think Patrick compared him to Paulo Rossi, so he did rather crank up the hyperbole
  • Options
    Read his book and Walsh admits he lived it up too much when at Spurs while his face never really fitted at liverpool - probably coz he weren’t good enough 
  • Options
    Walsh was plenty good enough imo.
    He was in competition with Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish for a starting place and he also suffered a succession of injuries.
    His goal return at Liverpool was 1 in 3.
    Overall though careerwise I would say he underachieved relative to his ability

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Spoke to him years ago regarding him writing for The Mail on Sunday (he assured me not all journalists there were right wing idiots).

Did he give his thoughts about the spivs, RD, etc ?
  • Options
    Spoke to him years ago regarding him writing for The Mail on Sunday (he assured me not all journalists there were right wing idiots).

Did he give his thoughts about the spivs, RD, etc ?
    Not really other than what we know already.
    RD had no interest in Charlton.