Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Saturday 11 September 2021 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town
Saturday 11th September 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)

Introduction
In typical fashion the first Charlton victory of the season ended up coming the week before an International break, its meant that we'll have to wait until 5pm this coming Saturday to see if any momentum was gained from the win against Crewe Alexandra. Although its perhaps a sign of how League One Football has progressed, the fact that all but four games got called off due to International matters... Yet we finally return to match action this coming weekend: Cheltenham Town, the League Two Champions head to SE7 for a first encounter at the Valley between these two sides.

The Opposition
Name: Cheltenham Town (16th) | Manager: Mike Duff
Ground: Whaddon Road
Last Meeting: Cheltenham Town 1-0 Charlton Athletic

It will be a surprise to some that the Addicks have faced Cheltenham in a competitive encounter - The year was 2016 and the Robins found themselves back in the Football League after a year in the Conference, and the League Cup 1st round would see them pitted against a Charlton Athletic who were newly back in League One themselves... Harry Pell (once of our Academy) would score the sole goal of the game, so ensuring there wouldnt be a shock on the cards given our historic record in said competition.

Cheltenham have gone from strength to strength since that Tuesday evening, finally earning promotion from League Two after a five year spell, this their first spell at this level since 2008/09.

When you perhaps take a look at their Manager its no surprise they've managed promotion, after all Mike Duff is the stuff of legends for fans of Championship Manager, and having been reliable in so many careers on PC and Laptop, its perhaps no surprise that he'd be destined for a career in management. In real life and Duff returned to manage at the club where he began his career and has certainly adapted well to League One Football, the Robins sole win coming at home against Ipswich Town.

Yet its worth remembering back to last season, this is a Cheltenham team that almost shocked Manchester City in the FA Cup, and certainly try to play Football themselves rather than hitting it long - Defeat for the Addicks on Saturday afternoon, and there can be no going back to an old save state and trying again.

Perhaps Addicks to Victory will be a better intro song this Saturday, we dont want our visitors getting too comfortable?

Charlton Team News
Arter months of concern amongst the Charlton fans we entered the final few days of the Transfer Window wondering if the squad would be strengthened... Sudden-Lee we found ourselves at Deadline Day and by the time the window slammed shut we all thought it had been nothing short of a marv-Levelle-ous window.

Unfortunately Left-Back remained a Souare spot with fans a little disappointed that we were unable to bring in backup to Ben Purrington (who could potentially return to the squad himself this Saturday), but even that got resolved in the end.

Now if only I remember the names of those who signed?

MacGillivray
Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
Jaiyesimi - Watson - Morgan - Kirk
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Elewere - Pearce - Arter - Clare - Leko - Lee

Prediction
Full time against Crewe Alexandra two weeks ago showed a massive sign of improvement compared with previous games already this season, but a victory against a depleted Crewe team is certainly no measure of how our season will go, just as its impossible to compare an early season defeat at Milton Keynes. No disrespect is meant towards the teams at this level, but the standard of Crewe and Cheltenham potentially make up 10-16 teams at this level. Should we want to win promotion, then these games must be won, failure to do so (and it will happen occasionally) and those other eight teams will be even harder to beat.

Comments

• Options
    I think Lavelle only plays if Inniss is injured.  It may be too soon for Purrington (but I hope not) so Gunter may get one last fling? Arter has to play so Morgan drops to the bench IMO and I'd also start Leko in place of Washington.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Great preview as always!

(puts on the snobbery hat) this is a proper “can’t believe this is a league fixture” match 
  • Options
    Got a spare in the NU if anyone wants it, £10 donation to either upbeats or my next charity run would be lovely though x 
  • Options
    I cant see Dobson not even on the bench, Swap with Watson. Now is the time for Albie to step up if he wants to keep his spot or risk another loan. 

Nice to have some options, although a few of the newbies we need to probably give them a bit of time to settle or get up to fitness. I think Gunter will play too, Purrington on the bench. 

2-0 Charlton Kirk, Stockley
  • Options
    Fancy us 3-1. Stockley, DJ and Lee.
  • Options
    MacGill

Matthews
    Innis
    Famewo
    Gunter

DJ
    Watson
    Morgan
    Kirk

Lee

Stockley

Subs: Henderson, Purrington, Lavelle, Leko, Arter, Washington, Davison
  • Options
    Yes, I would imagine Lee will start too. There are fitness elements we don't know but Lee played against Crawley so should be fine.
  • Options
    2-0 win. Stockley and Kirk.

Hopefully similar pattern to the Crewe game. All have seemed very positive since we beat Crewe. 5 new signings in key areas and a hammering of Crawley.

Let’s have back to back home wins to really kick start our season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It feels like the season starts from now. Winning 6+ on the trot in this league is do-able as we saw last season when both we (and Burton) achieved this.

We have a strong squad. I do feel having 2 players who can only play one position on the bench is overkill and we won't see Elewere and Pearce too often. Having Gunter there makes more sense as he can cover RB/LB. 
  • Options
    I've no idea who will play.

There are question marks about the fitness of several players (Purrington, Innis and Arter) plus we have had players away for the international break - will Washington and Gunter play tonight? Plus we have a glut of midfield and wide options.

• Options
    I’d start Lee but I still feel it would be harsh on Washington who’s done nothing wrong . 

I can see us winning this comfortably. 

4-1 

• Options
    Have a soft spot for the Robins through my partner's family connections. Interestingly, their captain Ben Tozer (he of the 50 yard throw ins) has gone to Wrexham - it certainly added an extra dimension to their play. I think they'll struggle this season and we should win this.
  • Options
    Agree with the majority of that team @ForeverAddickted, I think Inniss starts over Lavelle though. 

Will say 2-1 win. Possibly from a Golfie. 
  • Options
    No reason not to start Lee instead of Kirk. Basically a few spots are up for grabs for the best performer. Lee and Washington could nicely interchange positions too.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Agree with the majority of that team @ForeverAddickted, I think Inniss starts over Lavelle though. 

Will say 2-1 win. Possibly from a Golfie. 
    Yeah I've gone for Lavelle as a bit cautious over the fitness of Inniss
  • Options
    Terrific preview as ever .. It's simple, this is the type of game we must win against a newly promoted side, albeit a well managed and competent outfit which will come to the Valley fully motivated.
    If he's consistent in his selection pattern, Adkins will not start many newcomers. It seems he likes to give the new faces time to settle in. 

Pretty much the side that beat Crewe with a couple of newbies making cameo appearances towards the end of the game

CAFC 2 v Cheltenham Town 0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine it'll be something like this: 

MacGillivray

Matthews - Innis - Famewo - Gunter

Watson - Clare

DJ        -            Lee              -   Kirk

Stockley

Okay team and we should win without much trouble. 

Reckon the new signings will be given a bit of time to ease in rather than first game back. 
  • Options
    I think he will want to play the players he has had 2 weeks with on the training ground.  Intresting that Papa was spotted playing for the u23s against the first team.  That makes me think Purrington will be fit and play.

MacGillivray

Matthews - Innis - Famewo - Purrington 

Watson - Morgan

Stockley

Clean sheet number 3, Kirk off the mark and a brace from Stockley. 
  • Options
    feel a bit bad for CBT being frozen out of the squad already. he's looked good for little he has played for us
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think he will want to play the players he has had 2 weeks with on the training ground.  Intresting that Papa was spotted playing for the u23s against the first team.  That makes me think Purrington will be fit and play.

MacGillivray

Watson - Morgan

Stockley

I think that will be the team too. Ease the latest signings in gradually AND rest Gunter and Washington

Just getting on the bench will be a challenge with the squad depth we now have
  • Options
    Like the fact it's a difficult line up to predict, but surely this is a home win and I fancy a clean sheet also, 3-0 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

MacGillivray

Watson - Morgan

Stockley

Agree with this too, although would maybe like to see Leko start ahead of DJ given how buzzing he looked to have signed and having the backing of the Valley you'd hope he could deliver something special from the start rather than a short cameo.
  • Options
    We should absolutely win this, and the confidence on this forum is justified with the options we have.

However this is Charlton and things are rarely as straightforward as they can be. Would love a clinical 3-0 but always fear there is a sting in the tail with a game like this.
  • Options
                        MacGillivray

Matthews  Innis Famewo  Gunter

Arter              Morgan
    DJ                     Lee             Kirk

Stockley

Subs: Henderson  Lavelle  Purrington Clare Blackett-Taylor Leko Washington

4-1 Stockley, Lee, Kirk & Leko
  • Options
    We should absolutely win this, and the confidence on this forum is justified with the options we have.

However this is Charlton and things are rarely as straightforward as they can be. Would love a clinical 3-0 but always fear there is a sting in the tail with a game like this.
    The difference is that last season we were so short of players that as games progressed the opposition brought on fresh players and we eventually buckled.

This season we are in the position that if things are not working we can broing on potential game changers.

Except at centre forward