Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated squad list - 2 September 2021

edited September 2021 in General Charlton
First Team

Goalkeepers 
Nathan Harness Unknown
Craig MacGillivray 2023
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 (season long loan to Ross County in the Scottish Premier)

Right Backs
Chris Gunter 2022 (+1 year option)
Adam Matthews 2022

Centre Backs
Deji Elewere Unknown
Akin Famewo 2022 (season long loan from Norwich City with option to buy)
Ryan Inniss 2022 (+1 year option)
Sam Lavelle 2024
Jason Pearce 2022 (with opportunity to move into coaching role)

Left Backs
Ben Purrington 2022

Defensive Midfielders
Harry Arter 2022 (season long loan from Nottingham Forest)
George Dobson 2023
Ben Watson 2022

Central Midfielders
Sean Clare 2023
Jake Forster-Caskey 2022 (+1 year option)
Alex Gilbey 2023
Albie Morgan 2023

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 
Corey Blackett-Taylor December 2021
Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024
Charlie Kirk 2025
Elliot Lee 2022 (season long loan from Luton Town)
Jonathan Leko 2022 (season long loan from Birmingham City)

Strikers
Josh Davison 2022 (+1 year option)
Ronnie Schwartz 2023
Jayden Stockley 2024
Conor Washington 2022

U23 Development Squad

Goalkeepers
Nathan Harvey Unknown

Right Backs

Centre Backs
Nazir Bakrin Unknown
Charlie Barker 2023
Billy French 2022
Lucas Ness 2022

Left Backs
Samuel Oguntayo Unknown
Jacob Roddy Unknown

Midfielders
Terrell Agyemang Unknown
Jimmy Appiah Unknown
Tyreece Campbell Unknown
Richard Chin Unknown
Charles Clayden Unknown
Ben Dempsey Unknown
Aaron Henry 2023
Jeremy Santos Unknown
Johl Powell Unknown
James Vennings Unknown
Euan Williams Unknown

Strikers
Wassim Aouacheria 2022 (three month loan to Aldershot in the National League)
Mason Burstow Unknown
Dylan Gavin Unknown
Hady Ghandour 2022
Ryan Viggars 2023

Comments

• Options
    It’s nice to see 2023/24/25 next to players names.
    But then there are 10 players with 2022 next to theirs. I admit this includes loans & players with options but nonetheless.....another rebuild next summer.
  • Options
    But then there are 10 players with 2022 next to theirs. I admit this includes loans & players with options but nonetheless.....another rebuild next summer.
    Hopefully there will be a few in which we get them signed up earlier rather than having to deal with all of them next summer.
  • Options
    Point I’m making is that there’s a lot less out of contract next summer than there has been in previous seasons.
  • Options
    A number of those 2022 players we might not want the following season anyway, the likes of Purrington, Gunter and Matthews aren't exactly irreplaceable, while Watson will presumably retire
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    A number of those 2022 players we might not want the following season anyway, the likes of Purrington, Gunter and Matthews aren't exactly irreplaceable, while Watson will presumably retire
    The 5 without options are those 3 of those 4 plus Pearce and Washington.  Its not the biggest problem.  Be nice to get Washington signed up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Jacob Roddy deserves to be promoted to the first team squad

(ducks for cover)
       Not heard of  the guy ducks Henry, and he is covering Roddy is he..sounds  quackers to me B)
  • Options
    Sort of understand where you are golfie, but rebuild might be a bit strong, as it depends where we are,.. Championship, we would probably expect to do some recruiting, so lets get through this season first  and worry about next year, next year..
  • Options
    There are no excuses if that squad doesn’t deliver top 6 imo
    Not enough goals IMO
  • Options
    Thanks for the list. I've recently got quite confused as to who we now have as there are so many comings and goings, and I haven't seen us play this season.

My only opinion is that we should immediately try to extend Washington's contract.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Not enough goals IMO

We now have 4 wingers in the squad, and they need to be near to a goal every 4 games which is difficult to see happening.
    Plus plenty of assists for Stockley,Lee and Gilbey (when back to health)

Lee is the goal scorer and ideal for the attacking midfielder role as the central threat supporting Jayden

Washington is turned into such a work horse that it negates his goal scoring record which was 1 in 3 games in League one when he played more central. 

Charlie Kirk has been given the big 4 year contract and needs to not only emulate his form at Crewe but to surpass both the assists and goals scored. 

Cafc need to win 16 home matches and not the abysmal 8 from last season.

• Options
    So, with Henderson's signature, we now have enough players to fill not one but three teams:

MacGillivray 
    Matthews
    Famewo
    Inniss
    Purrington
    Arter
    Gilbey
    Lee
    Kirk
    Stockley
    Jaiyesimi

Henderson
    Gunter
    Lavelle
    Pearce
    Souare
    Dobson
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan
    Leko 
    Davison
    Washington

Harness
    Clare
    Elewere 
    Barker
    Roddy
    Watson
    Dempsey
    Vennings
    Blackett-Taylor
    Schwartz
    Ghandour

Even with JFC out and the short term one or two other injuries, surely we've got to be happy with the options available
  • Options
    So, with Henderson's signature, we now have enough players to fill not one but three teams:

MacGillivray 
    Matthews
    Famewo
    Inniss
    Purrington
    Arter
    Gilbey
    Lee
    Kirk
    Stockley
    Jaiyesimi

Henderson
    Gunter
    Lavelle
    Pearce
    Souare
    Dobson
    Forster-Caskey
    Morgan
    Leko 
    Davison
    Washington

Harness
    Clare
    Elewere 
    Barker
    Roddy
    Watson
    Dempsey
    Vennings
    Blackett-Taylor
    Schwartz
    Ghandour

Even with JFC out and the short term one or two other injuries, surely we've got to be happy with the options available
    Yeah but, no replacement for Aneke so we must be broke...

Excellent hard work by Steve Gallen and co, with a decent League 1 budget, but goals win games (no shit Sherlock) and I just don't see our 4 wingers scoring that many.

We need goals from many players this season to compensate for the 1 goal in 100 minutes which Chuks gave the team last season.

We have a good League 1 squad, despite still having to take risks with incoming rustiness and fitness doubts.

• Options
    I’m sure a new goalscorer or two will appear just as Chuks did last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defenders 6
    Midfielders 12 (Gilbey, Morgan, JFC, Arter, Dobson, Clare etc)
    DJ 6 (last season 5)
    Kirk 6 (last season 6)
    Leko 6 (5 in 21 appearances last time)
    Lee 10 (12 last time in League 1)
    Washington 10 (11 last season) 
    Stockley 16
    Other forwards/signings 4 (Davison, Schwartz, CBT etc plus any others coming in during course of season)

Total 76

With a solid defence that would be enough to make the play offs as a minimum. It might even be sufficient for automatic promotion
  • Options
    I can't see the midfield getting anywhere near 12, not if all those attacking midfielder/wingers and forwards will be playing regularly. Someone will have to sit deeper and do the defensive and playmaking work.

Gilbey started scoring regularly as he was in a more attacking role, which the likes of Washington, Lee and Leko will have instead

• Options
    Plenty of excuses being used now but totally agree with this comment from back in September. This has been a totally wasted season
  • Options
    Plenty spent on this squad and we had virtually a whole season to plan for this season. To be mid table is an awful return