Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iconic shirt sponsors

124»

Comments

• Options
    4Real said:
    4Real said:
    Our best sponsors were in the 80s, FADS and The Woolwich, pure class.

Have never really liked any of our subsequent sponsors although we had great times with Viglen and MESH.
    Why is FADS so great ? They were headquartered in Crewe. Sponsorship that is 'iconic' should resonate locally, not just as it is remembered for a decent away day, or have some for of connection with the club - the Palace | Virgin link has already been made.

The Woolwich and KRBS (sounds like Curbs) are obvious. University of Greenwich as well and the Children's charity freebie of course.

As for Liverpool Carlsberg etc, people would have a melt down if we were sponsored by alcohol, which of course we now can't be anyway The betting exchange firm recently caused some enough anguish !

why? I didn't think it was banned ?
    Oh, perhaps not - I assumed it was.

Think the kids replica shirts can't have it on them
  • Options
    The first sponsor on a shirt I recall , certainly at a live game was Pontin's holidays on Preston's shirt in April 1978 at The Valley. 

Preston were known as Proud Preston for doing the double in the1880's.

It struck me as sad they had become 'Proud Pontin's.

Preston were one of the first, if not the first English club to adopt shirt sponsorship. 
    Was the logo sewn in or pressed on?

IGMC
  • Options
    You can't forget the band Wet Wet Wet sponsoring Clydebank FC

Clydebank Away football shirt 1995 - 1997 Sponsored by Wet Wet Wet
  • Options
    Preston were one of the first, if not the first English club to adopt shirt sponsorship. 
    I think Kettering Town were the first English club to have a shirt sponsor.