Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is a juicy train question - Slade green loop to crayford

2»

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Now you've told eveyone about it, it will look like this next home game.

Four passengers die in 39unbearable39 heat on Indian train  South China  Morning Post

Southeastern would still have the heating on full temperature 
    That’s if the train even turned up.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm going to give this a try tomorrow, getting to Charlton from Sidcup via bus always seems to take forever, especially for an evening game with rush hour traffic 
    Charlton are playing Crawley though, not Crystal Palace. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Now you've told eveyone about it, it will look like this next home game.

Four passengers die in 39unbearable39 heat on Indian train  South China  Morning Post

Plaistow?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm going to give this a try tomorrow, getting to Charlton from Sidcup via bus always seems to take forever, especially for an evening game with rush hour traffic 
    Pretty much nailed on to be the most exciting part of the evening.
  • Options
    Let’s hope Louis got there and back without getting lost.
  • Options
    I gather Lavelle has been studying this thread intensely.
  • Options
    I'm lost here - so could I in theory get from Bexleyheath station to Charlton and back again on a direct train (ie by going towards Dartford to get to Charlton?)
  • Options
    I'm lost here - so could I in theory get from Bexleyheath station to Charlton and back again on a direct train (ie by going towards Dartford to get to Charlton?)
    Yep - before Dartford station there is a loop of track which diverts trains round to Skade Green and up the Woolwich line
  • Options
    unlikely to be quicker than changing at Blackheath
  • Options
    It's about 10 min longer than changing at Blackheath. Most rail websites are set up to show the quickest journeys so don't show this option unless there's a box to tick to show only direct trains. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    much easier with kids to take the direct / slightly longer route - than changing to a busy train at Blackheath
  • Options
    much easier with kids to take the direct / slightly longer route - than changing to a busy train at Blackheath
    Agreed. But I assume (I may be wrong) the trains that go round the loop and effectively swap from the Woolwich line to the Bexleyheath line (and vice versa)  are not as frequent.
  • Options
    Agreed. But I assume (I may be wrong) the trains that go round the loop and effectively swap from the Woolwich line to the Bexleyheath line (and vice versa)  are not as frequent.
    21 & 51 past the hour from crayford on a Saturday 
  • Options
    yeah I'm guessing that too - is there anywhere that the times on a Saturday are published?, the SE timetable doesn't say anything
  • Options
    Yep - before Dartford station there is a loop of track which diverts trains round to Skade Green and up the Woolwich line
    But it’s only direct on the sidcup line stops, not Bexleyheath line, otherwise he’d  just be changing at Dartford rather than blackheath, no real gain 
  • Options
    yeah I'm guessing that too - is there anywhere that the times on a Saturday are published?, the SE timetable doesn't say anything
    From bexley, 2 x hour, 15 & 45, direct, only sidcup line 

https://ticket.southeasternrailway.co.uk/journeys-list/BXY/CTN/2021-09-11T13:00/2021-09-11T17:00/1//?departNow=no&realTime=no&searchPreferences=&showAdditionalRoutes=no&showCheapest=no&tocSpecific=no
  • Options
    got it cheers - bugger !
  • Options
    The change, or rather rush over the bridge to the Charlton platform at Blackheath can be tight, delayed Bexleyheath line trains can mess it up.
  • Options
    They do run direct from the Bexleyheath line but only during the week it seems so no good for Saturdays
  • Options
    Ok, now the Albany Park direct to Charlton train, is clearly no longer a secret. Whoa betide anyone who takes my seat right at the back which pulls up next to the exit gate at Charlton station. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I live in Sidcup & discovered the delight's of the Dartford loop line a year ago.
    Can't imagine why I'd never used it before.

Still use the car more often than not, but the ULEZ is starting next month I believe which stop's me using my old polluting diesel car.
    Boundary is the south circular, means I will break a habit of 55 years and permanently use the Dartford loop line.

Should have made the switch years ago as I get free rail travel!
  • Options
    Point Of Order Mr Speaker.
    Can you call it the Dartford loop line when it doesn’t go to Dartford?
    The Slade Green Circular might be more informative.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Point Of Order Mr Speaker.
    Can you call it the Dartford loop line when it doesn’t go to Dartford?
    The Slade Green Circular might be more informative.
    The track in question, taking you from Crayford to Slade Green, does go through Dartford though, as it crosses briefly into Kent!

The Crayford Spur is its correct name I think
  • Options
    Surprised we’ve got two pages in and no one has mentioned the Slade Green Safari Park on the loop 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I hadn't realised how relatively recent that spur was
  • Options
    Talking of Slade Green I fairly recently happened across a memorial stone in Brook Street cemetery, which I had to google when I got home. 

The most appalling disaster occurred there on Feb 18 1924 in a munitions factory as 21 young women set to work breaking down Verey light cartridges.  An explosion very early in the morning would leave 12 girls dead plus their foreman.  Most of the girls were from Erith aged just 16 - 23.

Tens of thousands of people lined the streets as the funeral procession took place.

Anyway apologies for this, but the mention of Slade Green reminds me of this profound event, that I'd somehow never heard of before. 
  • Options
    Opens an interesting possibility - Bexley and Crayford stations are just off the A2, so parking there and catching the train to Charlton could avoid both the new clean air charge and also the long delays in getting away by car after the match. 
  • Options
    Interesting thread this, I've learnt it's called the Crayford spur, not the Dartford loop as I supposed.

Good to know the history behind its construction.