Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Hungary / Andorra / Poland

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    Yes in the past we had England teams that had a few world class players but never in this depth. Past teams had 2 or 3 maybe the rest were good pros. The majority of this squad would walk into any team in the world imo. Look at the starting lineup count the players that would look out of their depth in any club side in the world ?
    My criticism of Southgate isnt calling for his head I'm just pointing out that he is 100% the weak link in the England set up. I'm really hoping he nails it and improves his decision making as we will win alot of competitions in the coming years if he does. This isnt based on last nights draw as that wasnt a disaster at all but he without doubt cost us the Croatia match and the Italy final with his tactics after going a goal up early. You can notice the team change once they are in that situation and imo we should have killed them both off by keeping doing what we started out playing like
  • Options
    I wasn't a Southgate fan but a semi final and a final speaks for itself. Yes i dont understand how we didn't use any subs last night but still i am not going to question a manager who has made big calls and got most correct, i do worry he cant change a game when its going wrong or late on but still for people to question his position is laughable.

Football fans at their finest (Fickle) 
  • Options
    I wasn't a Southgate fan but a semi final and a final speaks for itself. Yes i dont understand how we didn't use any subs last night but still i am not going to question a manager who has made big calls and got most correct, i do worry he cant change a game when its going wrong or late on but still for people to question his position is laughable.

Football fans at their finest (Fickle) 
    Southgate has strengths and weaknesses - tactically he's not the most adept.
  • Options
    If you look at the number of caps our players have and compare that to teams that win things, we won't peak until 2024, maybe even 2026. 
  • Options
    I know that "buying fouls" (diving) is the norm nowadays.......but Grealish does my head in.

He's no doubt a very talented player - but I can't help but think that he would be more effective if he just put half the effort into staying on his feet than he does into making his hair look nice.
  • Options
    I know that "buying fouls" (diving) is the norm nowadays.......but Grealish does my head in.

He's no doubt a very talented player - but I can't help but think that he would be more effective if he just put half the effort into staying on his feet than he does into making his hair look nice.
    Exactly as I feel.
    if when Ronaldo makes he’s second debut for united, he does what Grealish has been doing, it’ll be “oh he’s up to his usual diving tricks again”.
  • Options

I think he's a decent player, but would love to see him try and stay on his feet more and not get involved with the ref
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Anyone who thinks the players are somehow carrying Southgate needs to look at the likes of France - a squad that's easily as good as ours and probably better but lacks the unity and team spirit to become a true team instead of 11 players.
    Do you mean the team that won the last world cup?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Hugely frustrating to get pegged back in the 92nd minute, but to be frank, given the position we are in, the Poles were celebrating a late equaliser in a game they needed to win. We were fine with a draw. We only really got near their keeper a couple of times (the goal and the post spring to mind). We actually put ourselves under pressure in the last few minutes as people on the ball in forward areas had no support so we passed backwards with increasing inaccuracy while the Poles pressured, until we ended up giving the ball away in a position where they could attack us, and did. To be honest, it was a tight game and either of the two scorelines (1-0 or 1-1) seemed fair enough.
    As for Southgate, he is head and shoulders above anyone we have had for decades, with a squad that is head and shoulders above anything the previous managers had at their disposal. He's doing a grand job, but isn't beyond criticism. I watched the Italy final with neutral Spanish people, and everyone (and that became universal the next day) spotted we were being pushed back by a good Italian team who had the capacity to score. It cried out for a change, as we badly needed to regain the initiative, but Southgate sat and watched, and it cost us. Last night, trying to play out for the 1-0 win was sensible, but he could and should have put some fresh legs out there. I think we will only get better under this set up, and the opposite (a managerial change) would do nothing but harm. But someone near him needs to give him a kick up the jacksie - we have a strong bench, and getting to the 90th minute without bringing on fresh legs is farcical. But better he learns from a 1-1 draw last night than we lose a quarter final in Qatar for the same reason.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cafctom said:
    This might be seen as a controversial point, but I actually don’t share the view that this squad is ‘world class’ from front to back.

Are players like Calvin Phillips, Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire. John Stones, Kyle Walker, Declan Rice all names that would get into a list of the top 20-30 players in the world? Probably not. These are good players, but not necessarily galacticos.

I personally think we had a much stronger side on paper with the golden generation.

But it goes to show how well Southgate has done to squeeze the best out of what we have, and make a system that works.

Its exactly why I don’t share the opinion that the only thing holding us back from winning something is the manager.

Be honest, a few years ago who would have thought that we’d have a side as formidable as we have now that has two holding midfielders from Leeds and West Ham in it?
    I get your point - but they would maybe in and around top 20/30 in the world for their position.

Not being a 'galactico' does not make you less than world class IMO.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    This might be seen as a controversial point, but I actually don’t share the view that this squad is ‘world class’ from front to back.

Are players like Calvin Phillips, Jordan Pickford, Harry Maguire. John Stones, Kyle Walker, Declan Rice all names that would get into a list of the top 20-30 players in the world? Probably not. These are good players, but not necessarily galacticos.

I personally think we had a much stronger side on paper with the golden generation.

But it goes to show how well Southgate has done to squeeze the best out of what we have, and make a system that works.

Its exactly why I don’t share the opinion that the only thing holding us back from winning something is the manager.

Be honest, a few years ago who would have thought that we’d have a side as formidable as we have now that has two holding midfielders from Leeds and West Ham in it?
    Stones and Maguire, who in the world is significantly better than either and as a partnership. The Italian two and VVD? I can’t think of many more, perhaps Dias. 

• Options
    cafctom said:

Stones and Maguire, who in the world is significantly better than either and as a partnership. The Italian two and VVD? I can’t think of many more, perhaps Dias. 

France couldn't even get Laporte in the squad.  After Stones and Maguire your looking at Cody and Mings at the moment.

Stones and Maguire aren't even the best center backs at their clubs. 
  • Options
    Laporte has opted to play for Spain
  • Options
    Laporte has opted to play for Spain
    Yes because he couldn't get in the France squad. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

France couldn't even get Laporte in the squad.  After Stones and Maguire your looking at Cody and Mings at the moment.

Who is better than Maguire? Varane possibly will be although I think he's a bit overrated, based on playing for Real. 

How Laporte didn't get in the France squad is beyond me, even Zouma went to the Euros. Have to say their centre back depth is unreal, probably got about 8/9 that would make the England squad. 
  • Options
    It's a sign of the times, that whereas in the old days we churned out loads of goalkeepers and "warrior" centre backs, now we churn out loads of attacking full backs, wingers and creative No 10s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

The French back 4 had a shocker at the Euros, all over the place. I’d have Maguire over Varane all day long at the moment. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

The French back 4 had a shocker at the Euros, all over the place. I’d have Maguire over Varane all day long at the moment. 
    Maguire is very underrated for some reason .. I saw him play for Leicester a few times and could see why Man U paid a huge sum for him .. he is a great reader of a game, a good footballer as well as 'just' a defender .. also seen him play 'live' for the Blades and Hull, he's always impressed me and has just got better and better over time. Harry K is a lovely bloke, whatever,  I'd have Harry M as England captain 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

Maguire is very underrated for some reason .. I saw him play for Leicester a few times and could see why Man U paid a huge sum for him .. he is a great reader of a game, a good footballer as well as 'just' a defender .. also seen him play 'live' for the Blades and Hull, he's always impressed me and has just got better and better over time. Harry K is a lovely bloke, whatever,  I'd have Harry M as England captain 
    Huge Maguire fan. Dominate in the air which is still vital for any Centre back. 
  • Options
    Fan of Maguire too. A big unit, in the tradition of great British CBs, but also good on the ball and can do those surging runs forward
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    We were literally a couple of penalty kicks away from beating a team in a final that hadn’t lost in over 30 matches / 3 years.

We couldn’t have been closer, and I don’t think many expected us to get anywhere near the final at the beginning of the tournament. 

But even when we convincingly beat Germany, only after the game did the old tripe come out of “oh, well Germany aren’t that great anymore really”.

We absolutely destroyed a decent Hungary side away from home last week, is that all just forgotten now because we’ve drawn with Poland?

The bloke can’t win with some people. 
    As satisfying as the Ukraine and Hungary thrashings have been for us I think to be considered a great team and a great manager one must only focus on the results against other great teams and great managers. 

Yes good result against a fairly lacklustre Germany in the Euros. And against a very rejuvenated Denmark team ~ two very good results.  But still ... There are greater ...

Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal.

We were found out against Italy. But the experience was massive and we are going in the right direction. 

If our route to a potential world cup final is 

France, Argentina, Belgium, & Brazil in the final ~  how many, on their way home from the Poland draw, would think we could honestly do it? Not many. 

We had A LOT go our way in the euros + home advantage and easier opposition than others and we still couldn't quite win it.

This is definitely the most exciting and all-round talented squad I have ever known (save the unbelievable  midfield of Beckham lampard Gerrard Scholes) 
    And I reckon Southgate will be out of he has a bad Qatar. Such is the expectation now of fans and the FA. 

Then may Sir Chris Powell take his rightful place!!