Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A view from the West

edited August 2021 in General Charlton
I'm a 'behind the goal' man.

In my long and glittering career I have watched and suffered from the Laundry End (aka South Terrace/Jimmy Seed Stand to the more recent fans) and from my seat in the North Stand in later years.

But, being of nervous disposition, I have 'enjoyed' the first two home games of our 2021/22 promotion season from the designated 'masked area' in the West Stand, Block H.  Dwindling crowds indicate that it should be safe enough for me to return to the beloved North Stand for the Crewe game.

But I have noticed a strange thing from my new seat.

The far post of the goal at the South end of the pitch is not vertical.  It is, as some would say ... 'on the wonk'.  A clear few inches of rectification would be required to achieve the more customary vertical alignment.

So, my questions ...

1) To all previous West Stand incumbents ... Is this a new thing?

2) To the EFL and its appointed officials ... Have you noticed?  If not, why not?  And are you OK with it now that I have mentioned it?

3) To the groundstaff ... You will be aware, I'm sure.  Is there a technical reason why the hole supporting the post cannot be re-aligned?

4) To the Premier League ... How does your VAR thingy work when the plane of the goal is 'on the wonk'?

You may think that this is all trivial, but a long-range Albie Morgan blockbuster, destined for the top left corner, runs a genuine risk of not getting there due to the extra two inches required.

And Heaven knows how many goals we have been denied if this has been a problem since 1921. 

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

In my long and glittering career I have watched and suffered from the Laundry End (aka South Terrace/Jimmy Seed Stand to the more recent fans) and from my seat in the North Stand in later years.

But, being of nervous disposition, I have 'enjoyed' the first two home games of our 2021/22 promotion season from the designated 'masked area' in the West Stand, Block H.  Dwindling crowds indicate that it should be safe enough for me to return to the beloved North Stand for the Crewe game.

The far post of the goal at the South end of the pitch is not vertical.  It is, as some would say ... 'on the wonk'.  A clear few inches of rectification would be required to achieve the more customary vertical alignment.

So, my questions ...

1) To all previous West Stand encumbents ... Is this a new thing?

2) To the EFL and its appointed officials ... Have you noticed?  If not, why not?  And are you OK with it now that I have mentioned it?

3) To the groundstaff ... You will be aware, I'm sure.  Is there a technical reason why the hole supporting the post cannot be re-aligned?

4) To the Premier League ... How does your VAR thingy work when the plane of the goal is 'on the wonk'?

You may think that this is all trivial, but a long-range Albie Morgan blockbuster, destined for the top left corner, runs a genuine risk of not getting there due to the extra two inches required.

And Heaven knows how many goals we have been denied if this has been a problem since 1921. 
    Blame Aneke.......he must have hit it a few times last season. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

So, my questions ...

Haha I took you seriously for a minute until I read about a long-range Albie Morgan blockbuster, destined for the top left corner. Keep em coming, a bit of light humour is always appreciated.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

So, my questions ...

We'd have to have a shot on target first.
    Maybe it was realised that the leaning post was the reason Charlton kept hitting that woodwork last season  so many times and the players have been instructed not to shoot at goal in case anybody realises…
  • Options
    And did you notice this post mis-alignment before or after your 5th pint sir?
  • Options
    Much as I would love to take credit for an off-beat wind-up, sadly this is not the case here.  The post really does lean.

I am impressed with your ribald comments and implications of intoxication, but those days are far behind me.

This truly is a cry for investigation.  I don't want us thrown out of the Premier League due to erectile disfunction.
  • Options
    Maybe they used a Dickie Plumb line.
  • Options

Bill, 

Thanks for your email. 

Yes, as of next season WSD will be a hospitality only zone. Only those who are using Club 1905 will have access to match seating in that Block.

Block C will still be sold without hospitality should you not wish to have a three course carvery which is offered in Club 1905. You can book that block through the ticket office ad use the turnstiles as normal to access the seating.

This season a season ticket in Club 1905 is £2000+VAT and that includes the below package for all 23 home league games.

Club 1905 

• Drink on arrival
    • Three carvery course meal
    • Man of the match presentation (when safe to do so)
    • Prime seating near the half-way line
    • Panoramic views of the pitch
    • Training ground tour on one occasion during the season (when safe to do so)
    • Club legend
    • Dedicated host

£2000 + Vat 

Kind Regards, 

Charlton Athletic Football Club

Joanne Dunn  | CommerciaSales Executive  
    Charlton Athletic Football Club | The Valley | Floyd Road | London | SE7 8BL 
    T: 02083334050 Twitter: @CAFCHospitality

WebsiteGB tickets2  Facebook button    

Received the above email from the Club this morning confirming that us season ticket holders in the West Lower Block D will be turfed out next season to accommodate more hospitality seats.Ive been sitting here, like those around me since we moved back to the Valley and don’t feel particularly pleased with this news.

• Options
    BEANBAG said:

Bill, 

Thanks for your email. 

Yes, as of next season WSD will be a hospitality only zone. Only those who are using Club 1905 will have access to match seating in that Block.

Block C will still be sold without hospitality should you not wish to have a three course carvery which is offered in Club 1905. You can book that block through the ticket office ad use the turnstiles as normal to access the seating.

This season a season ticket in Club 1905 is £2000+VAT and that includes the below package for all 23 home league games.

Club 1905 

• Drink on arrival
    • Three carvery course meal
    • Man of the match presentation (when safe to do so)
    • Prime seating near the half-way line
    • Panoramic views of the pitch
    • Training ground tour on one occasion during the season (when safe to do so)
    • Club legend
    • Dedicated host

£2000 + Vat 

Kind Regards, 

Charlton Athletic Football Club

Joanne Dunn  | Commercial Sales Executive  
    Charlton Athletic Football Club | The Valley | Floyd Road | London | SE7 8BL 
    T: 02083334050 Twitter: @CAFCHospitality
    WebsiteGB tickets2  Facebook button    

Received the above email from the Club this morning confirming that us season ticket holders in the West Lower Block D will be turfed out next season to accommodate more hospitality seats.Ive been sitting here, like those around me since we moved back to the Valley and don’t feel particularly pleased with this news.

Think this deserves it's own thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t know how to start it ☹️
  • Options
    From the initial page at top left is a Green Button that says “ New Discussion” select that to start a thread. 
  • Options
    Thanks for that RM, have managed it 👍
  • Options
    Is that referred to as a ‘Seth’ ? !!! 😉
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Is that referred to as a ‘Seth’ ? !!! 😉
    Only when he’s had a dodgy curry 😉.
  • Options
    Running out to Red Red Robin
    Getting knocked out of cups at the first available opportunity
    Losing to Millwall
    Having sex on the centre circle
    Having a wonky Jimmy Seed goal post

Just leave them alone - our traditions define us and I want none of the above to ever change.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Much as I would love to take credit for an off-beat wind-up, sadly this is not the case here.  The post really does lean.

I am impressed with your ribald comments and implications of intoxication, but those days are far behind me.

This truly is a cry for investigation.  I don't want us thrown out of the Premier League due to erectile disfunction.
    Magnificent news!

I was in the West Stand again yesterday and I can report that the Laundry End goal has been re-aligned.

The left-hand post is no longer 'on the wonk' and now poses no threat of expulsion from the EFL.

I'm not sure who to credit at the Club for fixing the problem ... but I will take the plaudits for highlighting the issue.

A statue, you say ... for saving the Club?  It's a kind gesture, but really ... no.  I couldn't.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Magnificent news!

I was in the West Stand again yesterday and I can report that the Laundry End goal has been re-aligned.

The left-hand post is no longer 'on the wonk' and now poses no threat of expulsion from the EFL.

I'm not sure who to credit at the Club for fixing the problem ... but I will take the plaudits for highlighting the issue.

A statue, you say ... for saving the Club?  It's a kind gesture, but really ... no.  I couldn't.
    We obviously called our landlord Mr Huh and he dutifully fixed it in line with our tenancy agreement.