Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recruitment process - Adkins explains challenges

edited August 2021 in General Charlton
Interesting article at the link below 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-player-recruitment-process-explained-as-nigel-adkins-makes-transfer-admission/

Nigel admits we cannot even compete with Wigan on wages. And it saddens me we cannot get decent players to give the team a fighting chance of a top half showing this season.

Obviously we all hope that we can get some players in before the deadline, but it all looks a little knee-jerk and unplanned, which is not very good given the structure in place and pledges made by TS.

Looks to me like the club is now lowering expectations through comments by TS and NA in recent days. Surely we need to raise our sights as a club and at least be competitive in the 3rd tier of league football?

What do others think? Can we finish in the top 6 with the current squad and a few last minute loans?

Comments

• Options
    “A fighting chance of a top half finish”
    There you have it. 
    Lowering expectations in advance (once 9000 ST’s are sold of course). 
    Eh? I can’t see where Nigel mentioned fighting top half finish, that was @bigdiddy comment wasn’t it?
    Don’t let a fact like that stop people finding yet another way to moan about Sandgaard and Adkins. 
    But so far it’s been all talk without much to show for it in terms of the first team.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I thought the article was very honest and you can either put a positive spin on it or a negative spin depending on which side of the Forum you sit. Lets face it we are in recovery mode and realistically that is the position, we need 3/4 transfer windows to build something, unless we get very lucky 
  • Options
    Good article and great that Rich asked the questions. 
  • Options
    There you have it. 
    Actually no, there you don’t have it (after 9000 seasons sold) What you have is Big Diddy making a comment which you have attributed to the Manager / Club - misleading and mischievous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if we have too many decision makers involved in the recruitment process.

For all Roland's flaws I actually think the process worked best when he gave Gallen and Bowyer the budget, and allowed the pair of them to pretty much run the process between them with Gallen heading up a team of scouts I believe and also doing the negotiating with other clubs.

I'd like us to return to something similar to this model, let Gallen do what he does best leading the scouting.

Who would do the negotiating as Gallen does now I'm not sure, maybe leave that with him but if it means Roddy and TS taking a back seat from the process then so be it, the 19/20 promotion season I think virtually every single signing was a positive one and worked about as well as it could do.
    I definitely think there are too many cooks involved.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    There you have it. 
    Eh? I can’t see where Nigel mentioned fighting top half finish, that was @bigdiddy comment wasn’t it?
    Don’t let a fact like that stop people finding yet another way to moan about Sandgaard and Adkins. 
    But so far it’s been all talk without much to show for it in terms of the first team.
    What has that got to do with a poster presuming someone from the club mentioned “fighting chance of a top half finish” and then making a dig about it being after season ticket sales? Some people here are just intent on beating down Adkins, Sandgaard etc with anything they can. 
    I was putting context in. We all had high hopes for this year and so far it’s not panned out has it?
    it may be that it all improves and we get new, better, players in before the 31st but so far it hasn’t.
    I’m not intent on beating anyone down but given recent owners of the club I’m not ready to embrace anyone just because they’re not the last guy.
  • Options
    Can we finish out of the bottom 4 with the current squad and a few last minute loans?
  • Options
    Sobering stuff that from Adkins.
    Burst quite a few bubbles with it I should think.
    Something's definitely changed. To stand on the pitch when Hull were celebrating and saying 'That will be us' looks well off the mark.
    When Adkins came in he said he'd turned down other jobs because they were not right, he'd left Hull because he couldn't agree a transfer policy with the owners. I don't believe he would have joined us unless he was given assurances about budgets and about the team he could assemble, one to get us out of League One. The current one won't do that. Have things changed since then? Has the budget been reduced? If so then I doubt Nigel is happy about it. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Can we finish out of the bottom 4 with the current squad and a few last minute loans?
    We wont go down, that I'm 100% confident of - We've not had the hardest of starts but we've not had the easiest either

Still a lot of dross at this level that we should... SHOULD be able to deal with
  • Options
    We've built better squads with less money. 

I don't buy into the 'Wigan and Ipswich are paying more feel bad for us'. The past 5-6 years we've never been the top club in terms of wages but can usually build a decent side with the funds we have. 

This year has been a mess. 
    But that’s not fully down to the recruitment team, the new rules implemented about incoming foreign players hasn’t helped the situation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so the 'recruitment process' failures are down to a lack of cash investment, it's as simple as that
  • Options
    Akin Famewo is back on loan and we’d love to sign him permanently, if we could do.

Thought we had an option to buy? 
  • Options
    Akin Famewo is back on loan and we’d love to sign him permanently, if we could do.

Thought we had an option to buy? 
    Cost of salary I'm guessing. Will only be done if we can afford his wage demands.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Good article and great that Rich asked the questions. 
    Really? I don't read anything new here at all from what was known/stated previously. Feels like a 2 minute conversation /aside  that added nothing much.

All personal perceptions of course. But 'as you were' for me.
  • Options
    We've built better squads with less money. 

I don't buy into the 'Wigan and Ipswich are paying more feel bad for us'. The past 5-6 years we've never been the top club in terms of wages but can usually build a decent side with the funds we have. 

This year has been a mess. 
    But that’s not fully down to the recruitment team, the new rules implemented about incoming foreign players hasn’t helped the situation. 
    Exactly. Plus how many transfer windows we had on the back end of a pandemic? Apart from a handful of clubs, business has been very slow.
  • Options
    It’s not quite the message of hope that our recruitment this window is about to yield some significant additions in the last 10 days. 
  • Options
    As a romantic, adkins saying we cant compete with wigan in transfers clearly means we will beat them on saturday! Its meant to be.