Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins weekly press conference

Nigel Adkins talked in glowing terms of Charlton’s new signing Charlie Kirk at Thursday’s press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against Oxford United.
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/611545897fc49/adkins-weve-set-out-on-a-vision-we-are-trying-to-build-something

Comments

• Nigel Adkins sounded more chirpy which shows that an experienced manager who has been involved in 40 pre seasons as a player, physio, coach and manager gets a big lift when a player who has a good CV signs for Cafc.

If I could ask Nigel Adkins a question it would be do you believe Stockley is more effective as a lone striker or with a player closer to him to pick up the knock on's or knock downs especially with so many balls aimed at Jayden's head ?

Our shocking home record won't change anytime soon if we are just thinking about clean sheets. You have to be pro active and get numbers in the box. Of course you want a solid defense but you must have numbers in transition when you attack. 
    The Wimbledon team on Tuesday had 3 players in the Six yard box from a couple of straight forward passes which the player on the right put in once he drifted pass Roddy.

I understand up to a point playing a lone central striker away from home but at the Valley it has rarely worked for any manager in recent times. BWP and Yann were both strikers but Yann could play behind as a 10 as well as pushing on into the box to play alongside Wright-Philips when we were turning the screw. 
    Robinson's 4-2-3-1 only seemed to work when either Fosu or Holmes had MOM performances. Otherwise again so easy to defend against.

• Robinson’s system involved a lot more tippy tappy football which allowed the opposition to get numbers behind the ball. We relied too much on players like Holmes, Fosu or Mavididi scoring a wonder goal.

Adkins mixes up more, we’ll play it out from the back, we’ll go direct into space or play it long to Stockley.

I think we need to judge it once we’ve got the remaining signings in and the team have settled down. Bring in more of Kirk’s quality and it could be a system that works very well for us. We saw last season it made us harder to bear and stronger defensively. An attacking left back, a playmaker in the middle and better attacking options on the bench could make a huge difference.
  • Chunes said:
    Nigel Adkins sounded more chirpy which shows that an experienced manager who has been involved in 40 pre seasons as a player, physio, coach and manager gets a big lift when a player who has a good CV signs for Cafc.

If I could ask Nigel Adkins a question it would be do you believe Stockley is more effective as a lone striker or with a player closer to him to pick up the knock on's or knock downs especially with so many balls aimed at Jayden's head ?

Our shocking home record won't change anytime soon if we are just thinking about clean sheets. You have to be pro active and get numbers in the box. Of course you want a solid defense but you must have numbers in transition when you attack. 
    The Wimbledon team on Tuesday had 3 players in the Six yard box from a couple of straight forward passes which the player on the right put in once he drifted pass Roddy.

I understand up to a point playing a lone central striker away from home but at the Valley it has rarely worked for any manager in recent times. BWP and Yann were both strikers but Yann could play behind as a 10 as well as pushing on into the box to play alongside Wright-Philips when we were turning the screw. 
    Robinson's 4-2-3-1 only seemed to work when either Fosu or Holmes had MOM performances. Otherwise again so easy to defend against.

Our shocking home form was more down to shipping goals not because we couldn't score. Teams were scoring 2,3,4 against us. 
    Exactly.

Doncaster 1-3
    Plymouth 2-2
    Rochdale 4-4
    Swindon 2-2 twice
    Portsmouth 1-3
    Gillingham 2-3
    Burton 1-2 (and the 4-2 shambles away)
    Blackpool 0-3
    Crewe 2-2

5 points and 30 goals conceded in those 11 games.

Winning just 5 of those 11 games would've taken us up automatically.
  • edited August 2021
    Yep. And it's worth remembering that for a lot of those games, we were playing two up front. LB liked the diamond and the 442 and played them both at home last season. 
  • Chunes, what's important who are the two up front because in the modern game you should never be static. Bogle who always tried bless him was short on quality in League 1. #stockleyneedsapartner

If the players are good enough then many different permutations can work but with out goal scorers you will struggle.
    Yann and Bradley Wright-Phillips did the business in our 100 point + season plus the other goals  from Stephens, Hollands, Waggy  Green.etc.
  • Is there a reason we don't get the pre match quotes as live tweets anymore?
  • Is there a reason we don't get the pre match quotes as live tweets anymore?
    Probably because they are sick to the back teeth of "announce some signings" in the replies.
  • Completely fair enough I guess, twitter has really become a cesspit over the last 18 months
  • Sponsored links:

• Again, updates on the fitness of Gilbey, Purrington and even JFC.......but nothing at all about Schwartz apart from a meely mouthed bit about the young ones needing to play on the U23 game rather than him. Do journo's ever ask ANY searching questions or do they just like to be everybody's friend.

Baffling. 
  • edited August 2021
    Again, updates on the fitness of Gilbey, Purrington and even JFC.......but nothing at all about Schwartz apart from a meely mouthed bit about the young ones needing to play on the U23 game rather than him. Do journo's ever ask ANY searching questions or do they just like to be everybody's friend.

Baffling. 
    I’d agree with you if we didn’t know that he is behind due to a personal issue so I think that’s why he’s not discussed in depth.

Personally don’t think Adkins rates him and this was before this summer. I think he’ll be shipped off if at all possible but we shall see.

• “I’m sure if you got a piece of paper and wrote down all of the players we’ve got and said, ‘right, pick a starting 11 from that’. I guarantee that probably 99% of the people who did that wouldn’t pick the same team as I’m going to go and pick"

That's intresting. 
  • it sounds as though morgan and watson will stay as the 2 cm's to me with Lee replacing Washington in the starting line up 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    “I’m sure if you got a piece of paper and wrote down all of the players we’ve got and said, ‘right, pick a starting 11 from that’. I guarantee that probably 99% of the people who did that wouldn’t pick the same team as I’m going to go and pick"

That's intresting. 
    My thoughts exactly.

Someone dig out the lyrics to  " a team of Kermorgants" and change it to Watson's 

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    it sounds as though morgan and watson will stay as the 2 cm's to me with Lee replacing Washington in the starting line up 
    I think that's entirely sensible, bearing in mind the international break.  It's our last free midweek for a while.  Give us a chance to work on shape etc and Arter's fitness before the Wycombe game.

The question I would have on Saturday is, is Papa fit enough to start at left back, it's quite clear that Purrington isn't. 
    agreed and given that Gunter has played so much taht is probably the main decision Adkins has to make - that and who gets left off the bench 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    “I’m sure if you got a piece of paper and wrote down all of the players we’ve got and said, ‘right, pick a starting 11 from that’. I guarantee that probably 99% of the people who did that wouldn’t pick the same team as I’m going to go and pick"

That's intresting. 
    My thoughts exactly.

Someone dig out the lyrics to  " a team of Kermorgants" and change it to Watson's 

Maybe it's just me, but having actually listened to the interview and the context that quote was said in (especially with the anacedote about Jack Charlton) Adkins is just saying how we have such strength in depth now it's unlikely that people will choose the same team. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

That's intresting. 
    He's going to put Kirk in goal
  • Cafc43v3r said:

That's intresting. 
    My thoughts exactly.

Maybe it's just me, but having actually listened to the interview and the context that quote was said in (especially with the anacedote about Jack Charlton) Adkins is just saying how we have such strength in depth now it's unlikely that people will choose the same team. 
    That's how I read it and if you look at the threads where we've picked teams... its pretty much bang on the money. 
  • Adkins reminding everybody that it isn't Championship Manager. 
  • mendonca said:
    Adkins reminding everybody that it isn't Championship Manager. 
    Proper old school, I think it’s called football manager these days.
  • mendonca said:
    Adkins reminding everybody that it isn't Championship Manager. 
    Proper old school, I think it’s called football manager these days.
    Stopped playing it then to make sure I saw more daylight!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Ronnie Schwartz replacing Stockley? 
  • shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's intresting. 
    My thoughts exactly.

That's how I read it and if you look at the threads where we've picked teams... its pretty much bang on the money. 
    Exactly!!

People reading too much into that comment!