Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comparing the 2010/11 Squad to now...

Cropped up on the rumours thread, discussion on whether the squad as it currently stands today is worse / weaker than the 2010/11 squad that finished 13th in L1.

This was probably our best 11 from that season

Elliot

Francis / Solly
Dailly
Doherty / Llera
Jackson

Waggstaff
Semedo
Racon /McCormack
Reid

Wright-Phillips (from Jan)
Anyinsah

Notable Others
Abbott
A Sodje
Jenkinson
Eccleston
Fry
Fortune
Martin
Benson
Martin
Warner

Thoughts in comparison?

Comments

• That squad was as poor as i have ever seen just shading Slades team.

I think the current crop look like Brazil in comparison. 
  • The 2010/11 squad wasn't good, but worth noting that under Parky we were 2nd on the 20th November  and after Powell's initial great start, 5th on the 12th February before a horrible run dropped us down the table

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9204066.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9387841.stm
  • So who would get picked in front of who?

Keeper - Elliot (though hard to judge McG yet)
    RB - Francis / Solly def over Gunter / Matthews
    CBs - Def Innis and Famewo 
    LB - JJ / Fry v Purrington/ Roddy?

Midfield 
    RM - DJ over Waggy
    CMs - Semedo / Racon over Clare / Dobson??
    LM - Reid over well, no left mid! 

Upfront

BWP out ranks all. Then Stockley. Would prob have Ayinsah over Washington 
  • For me, Probably only BWP and Solly from that team would get in the current team.
  • Obviously some weaknesses in the 10/11 team, but I’d agree with the suggestion above that it is a team that should’ve been capable of finishing about 13th  
  • For me, Probably only BWP and Solly from that team would get in the current team.
    Not Jackson?
    Semedo, Jackson and any Left Winger from that squad walk in to our current side IMO
  • Solly Jj Semedo and BWP would get in this current side. But I don't think there's much in it. The squad at the moment for me is one of our weakest in recent history 
  • The right back that season was Francis, who flopped with us but proved his worth elsewhere. We had great cover as well, considering Solly AND Jenkinson were also in the wings.

Jacko wasn't LB that season, I assume he was mainly left midfield. Youga was decent, but injured. We also brought in Fry and Bessone on loan to play LB, he was pretty decent

• The correct XI from the two squads is

McGillvary

Solly
    Innis
    Famewo 
    Jackson

DJ
    Semedo
    Gilby
    Reid

BWP
    Stockley

Five from 2010/11
    Six from 2029/21
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Cropped up on the rumours thread, discussion on whether the squad as it currently stands today is worse / weaker than the 2010/11 squad that finished 13th in L1.

This was probably our best 11 from that season

Elliot

Francis / Solly
    Dailly
    Doherty / Llera
    Jackson

Waggstaff
    Semedo
    Racon /McCormack
    Reid

Wright-Phillips (from Jan)
    Anyinsah

Notable Others
    Abbott
    A Sodje
    Jenkinson
    Eccleston
    Fry
    Fortune
    Martin
    Benson
    Martin
    Warner

Thoughts in comparison?
    Comparing Saturday's starting 11.
    I'd prefer Elliot, Solly, Jackson, Wagstaff, Semedo, Wright-Phillips & possibly Anyinsah.
    I'd say the first 11's are similar.
    Current 11 stronger at the back.
    2010 team stronger up front and just about stronger in midfield.

2011 had Pearce, Watson & Davison on the bench plus kids not good enough. Not one with a positive impact.
    Whilst not great 2011 had at least 5 on the bench who could make a positive impact.

If those squads (as it stands today) had to play each other for the whole season, 2010 would come out on top, unless we had no injuries and we all know we'll have about 4 out at most times.

As it stands our current squad would end up bottom half, unless we have next to no injuries (and we all know that is not realistic).

If the key players like Innis & Famewo are out for half the season again we would be fighting against relegation.
    If Stockley was also out for a few months or longer and our strike force was Davison, assuming he too didn't get injured leaving no one, we would be in one hell of a battle to stay up.

Let's just hope we get in the 6 we need in the last 3 weeks to mount a challenge at the right end. 

NB last night we made 7 changes and AFC 8 (so we're told).
    AFC are one of the favourites for relegation and they were better than us by a margin (away from home).
    So on that game our reserves are weaker at home than a relegation favourite.
  • Jackson, BWP and Reid only ones to get in. Keeper is 50/50 too early to say. For whats its worth i liked Kyel Reid, bit underrated - we could do with someone like him at the moment
  • Only and Semedo ahead of Dobson? He did win player of the year.
  • edited August 2021
    I see all comments have ignored the respective benches, which of course is the crux of the matter.

Presume everyone thinks we will not get an absentee this season (apart from Purrington, JFC, Gilbey and Schwartz, already out before a ball has been kicked).
  • edited August 2021
    For me, Probably only BWP and Solly from that team would get in the current team.
    Not Jackson?
    Not at left back no. CM of course, it wouldn’t even be up for debate. 
  • edited August 2021
    sam3110 said:
    For me, Probably only BWP and Solly from that team would get in the current team.
    Semedo, Jackson and any Left Winger from that squad walk in to our current side IMO
    You think Reid would walk in to the current team? Gilbey, Clare , JFC or Dobson over Semedo every day of the week, 
  • Times change, look at any team with comparisons. We might on paper look weaker but its all in comparison to other teams in league one this year, now that we can debate... The promotion season has no bearing on this season at all, even comparing players. We are still not totally out of a pandemic, alot of clubs cannot afford a pot to piss in, some of these constant references to the past and current quality of the team. We are one game ....
  • se9addick said:
    The correct XI from the two squads is

McGillvary

Solly
    Innis
    Famewo 
    Jackson

DJ
    Semedo
    Gilby
    Reid

BWP
    Stockley

Five from 2010/11
    Six from 2029/21
    You telling me we're keeping these same players until 2029!?

Always knew they were PL stars in the making.
  • edited August 2021
    CMG

Matthews (Solly wasn’t yet the player he later became)
    Inniss
    Famewo
    Purrington

Jaiyesimi
    Dobson
    Gilbey
    Jackson

Wright-Phillips
    Stockley

Subs: Elliot, Solly, Semedo, Racon, Clare, Wagstaff, Washington
  • Surprised how many people think Craig Macgillivray is better than Rob Elliott, considering Rob Elliott has played 50+ Premier League games and Macgillivray has barely played for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised how many people think Craig Macgillivray is better than Rob Elliott, considering Rob Elliott has played 50+ Premier League games and Macgillivray has barely played for us
    Elliot also had a decent season that year, marginally missing out on winning the CL Statbank to Thierry Racon by 0.003.

Semedo won it the year before. Players like Racon and Semedo performed better for us than I think some people are remembering. 
  • sam3110 said:
    You think Reid would walk in to the current team? Gilbey, Clare , JFC or Dobson over Semedo every day of the week, 
    I’d personally have an actual winger playing, rather than a very average striker being played out of position. 

As for Semedo, I don’t think you can compare him to any of those midfielders apart from Dobson. 
  • edited August 2021
    Elliott

Matthews
    Inniss
    Famewo
    Purrington

Jaiyesimi
    Semedo
    Gilbey
    Jackson

Wright-Phillips
    Stockley

Subs: CMG, Dailly, Francis, Dobson, Racon, Reid, Washington

This is based on how important players were back in 10/11 rather than how important they became (Francis was the main RB that season)

So 4 out of 11 from 10/11 in the starting 11, and 4/7 on the bench
  • Big call @killerandflash picking Matthews above a choice of Solly / Francis / Jenkinson 
  • edited August 2021
    Surprised how many people think Craig Macgillivray is better than Rob Elliott, considering Rob Elliott has played 50+ Premier League games and Macgillivray has barely played for us
    Elliot also had a decent season that year, marginally missing out on winning the CL Statbank to Thierry Racon by 0.003.

Semedo won it the year before. Players like Racon and Semedo performed better for us than I think some people are remembering. 
    Are we comparing Rob Elliot of 2015-18 here or Rob Elliot of 2010-11? Because obviously the bloke who played in the Premier League gets the starting spot.

Elliot was good for us but, as close as he came, he never won a player of the year award. CMG was Pompey's player of the year last season and to me already looks a cut above Amos from a shot stopping perspective. It's close but my personal preference is to give it to the new bloke. I'm hoping in a couple of months time, this decision will be much clearer.

The other two mentioned are far more clear cut for me.

Racon was one of my favourites at the time but in retrospect, he was poor and rarely contributed goals or assists... which when paired with Semedo was a massive part of the reason we struggled.

Semedo endeared himself to the crowd but was extremely limited as a footballer - no passes longer than 15 yards. I think Dobson can do perform his anchoring role just as well while also possessing much better ability on the ball.
  • edited August 2021
    Big call @killerandflash picking Matthews above a choice of Solly / Francis / Jenkinson 
    A close one

Solly and Jenkinson were pretty young and didn't play much that season. Francis struggled a bit (and got unfairly criticised really), that move to Bournemouth was seen at the time as a demotion to a smaller club...

All 3 in later years would go on to prove themselves though
  • Reid, Semedo, Racon, Jackson, BWP & Elliott are all better than the current crop in their respective positions. Out of our current side only Famewo, Innis, DJ & Stockley would get into a combined side.