Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Set pieces

An area we look a real threat this season. 

My only concern is our predictable delivery. We have 10 right footed players and only 1 leftie (that being a CB). 

Comments

• I am sure as the season goes on, we will have plenty of creative set-pieces.

Sometimes we aim for Inniss, other times Stockley, but they also can be used as a decoy as well if so much focus is put on them both.

At this level, defenders will often lose their markers so a clever bit of movement or blocking and I am sure we’ll score a good few.

Delivery needs to be good, Morgan has it in him and proved that at times on Saturday. If he can find a consistent level of very good deliveries, that will make us even better. Obviously, when Forster-Casket is back, he adds another player who can really whip in a good set-piece.

You will also have new signings, who some may be good from them too.
  • There's one particular set piece that concerns me. As long as I can remember they've been substandard and Saturday was no different. Kick offs. Let's try keeping the ball next time and see how that works out.
  • Stig said:
    There's one particular set piece that concerns me. As long as I can remember they've been substandard and Saturday was no different. Kick offs. Let's try keeping the ball next time and see how that works out.

Our aim should be to ensure that we do not have to kick off more than once per match.

I also dislike the little sideways tap from free kicks, where the ball usually ends up back with the player that initially took it, but then under pressure from defenders closing him down.
  • we should just shoot from every set piece we have outside our own half (including kick off)

find out who can hit the ball best and have them practicing leathering it at goal all week. then find out who can bend the ball the best and have them practice shooting from corners all week
  • Redrobo said:
    I thought Morgan’s corners on Saturday were very good. Flat with pace and right into the mix. 
    It was also Morgan who took the free kick that created our best chance of the game. The Stcockley header. His kicks mean he is an almost certain starter unless we get someone in. 
  • Clare looks pretty good in the air too. Imagine being Famewo and Gunter in this side where you are well over 6ft and used to being used as a target for set pieces only to be basically ignored because of the part man-part giants in the team like Stockley, Innis and Clare.
  • I agree we look dangerous on set pieces in the air but who have we got take decent free kicks outside the box? Albie Morgan seems to be the one taking them but has he ever got one on target?
    It's a problem
  • I agree we look dangerous on set pieces in the air but who have we got take decent free kicks outside the box? Albie Morgan seems to be the one taking them but has he ever got one on target?
    It's a problem
    This has been a problem for a while. If we had possessed a decent FK taker when Williams was about it would have been worth playing him for those opportunities alone.
    It would be nice to see a bit of invention at free kicks. I know it all looks a bit stupid when they don’t come off, but I would like to see us at least try it now and again.

• Morgan could have had a hat trick on Saturday if he’d got his free kick and two shots on target. Hopefully he’s been practicing this week…
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    I noticed when they had a free kick and our wall lined up, think it was Clare, Gunter, Inniss and Famewo. The shortest players in the team on Saturday were Washington and Matthews, both 5'10", then Morgan and DJ at 5'11" and everyone else 6' and above