Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

International Fixtures

Looking through the fixtures it seems we have the following games on an international weekend

4th Sept Gillingham away
9th October Rotherham home 
13 November Burton Away

At the moment the only Charlton players I can see being called up are Washington and Gunther. This means these games will be played without these two being available. 

Am I missing anyone or are we are if the teams we play have enough players to call the games off? 

Obviously if we sign another International we will be able to postpone if they all receive call ups otherwise though it means playing with a depleted squad.

Am I missing an obscure third International player on our books? 

Comments

• No I think you’re right. Maynard Brewer could have been a possibility but he’s out on loan now.
  • Worth noting as well that if we dont sign a third International until after the various squads get announced then its unlikely that the Gillingham game will be called off either - Happened when we had that game against Swindon under Slade, because it got announced by SKY before we brought in Magennis (?) we couldnt get it called off
  • Looking through the fixtures it seems we have the following games on an international weekend

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

At the moment the only Charlton players I can see being called up are Washington and Gunther. This means these games will be played without these two being available. 

Am I missing anyone or are we are if the teams we play have enough players to call the games off? 

Obviously if we sign another International we will be able to postpone if they all receive call ups otherwise though it means playing with a depleted squad.

That thought had occurred to me also. I'm slightly surprised Gunter hadn't announced his international retirement after the Euros, but by now he's clearly hoping to be part of the setup for Qatar 22
  • Looking through the fixtures it seems we have the following games on an international weekend

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

That thought had occurred to me also. I'm slightly surprised Gunter hadn't announced his international retirement after the Euros, but by now he's clearly hoping to be part of the setup for Qatar 22
    I recall reading Gunter stating he would never retire from International football. 

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

I recall reading Gunter stating he would never retire from International football. 
    the way it should be in my opinion

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

The downside being we'll be without a player for several games this season while Gunter is sitting on the Welsh bench

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

The downside being we'll be without a player for several games this season while Gunter is sitting on the Welsh bench
    personally, I'd rather that than players belittling international football, choosing when they are available for their country and retiring if not first choice.

makes my fucking piss boil.
  • I thought I heard that England had arranged a friendly match when we’re due to play Sunderland away, whether other countries will, and whether they will affect us / Sunderlands team?
  • The autumn International break bent us over last season. Great before, awful after. 
    I'd rather lose Washington and Gunter and play with whst we have. Momentum can be more important.
  • Sponsored links:

• MacGillivray has made the Scotland squad in the past. 
  • Matthews is usually in the Wales squad isn’t he?
  • Matthews is usually in the Wales squad isn’t he?
    Hasnt been picked by Wales for a few years now 

4th Sept Gillingham away
    13 November Burton Away

personally, I'd rather that than players belittling international football, choosing when they are available for their country and retiring if not first choice.

makes my fucking piss boil.
    Absolutely. I'm sure this is only something that's started happening in the last 20 years. 

The likes of Lampard and Ashley Cole announcing their retirement because apparently it's now considered some sort of humiliation to stop being selected because you're old. 

Beckham set a fine example, don't understand why so few have followed it.
  • If we sell Schwartz, I think that will mean that we won't have a single player in our squad to have played a league game for us and not been of British or Irish nationality. It must be decades and decades since that has been the case?
  • We could also pull some loan players in who could be internationals 
  • Not sure not playing on an international week was a great benefit to us last season.
  • If we sell Schwartz, I think that will mean that we won't have a single player in our squad to have played a league game for us and not been of British or Irish nationality. It must be decades and decades since that has been the case?
    The Athletic Bilbao of League One (sort of)!
    That’s brexit for you. It’s virtually impossible for league one teams to sign non British players direct from overseas now. 
  • edited August 2021
    If we sell Schwartz, I think that will mean that we won't have a single player in our squad to have played a league game for us and not been of British or Irish nationality. It must be decades and decades since that has been the case?
    Ghandour (spelling)

edit, your played a league game comment didn’t register!
  • Sponsored links:

1988/89 was the last time... https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/charlton-athletic/1989/2/
    1988/89 was the last time... https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/charlton-athletic/1989/2/
    I wish we could have that squad again. Doesn’t seem over  30 years ago!